Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minor annoyances at a new gig (sorry-long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor annoyances at a new gig (sorry-long)

Hello again! I missed this place, though I have been snooping a bit when I was furloughed.

Left my Green-Vested Camping job back in June; I didn't trust my manager to have our back when the store reopened. And in truth, I hated that jerk. So was unemployed until I found a cool seasonal gig with Mattel; stocking shelves and making sure our toys at least look good.

The downside (outside I'm let go on 12/24) is, you guessed it, customers. I do appreciate its difficult finding actual store employees, so I try to help if it's a toy question. Hey, toys are cool. Let's talk about them! But I have gotten a few customers who are just plain rude...including one gent who just snarled,"Spray paint" at me. One guy today was angry there weren't many bikes out.

Also, I was on the phone with my boss last week, and I was just standing by the propane tanks. Had a guy walk up to me, wave at the tanks, and then saw I was on the phone, and backed off some. But, as I walked away, he followed me, almost into the store. Sorry, don't work here.

When I'm a ladder, I frequently have customers park their carts right at the foot of the ladder! Now, yes, the aisles can be narrow, but seriously, give me some safety space. Or this Barbie will swan dive into your cart.

Sorry, collectors. I do admire your passion (and rue that I have started to collect Hot Wheels.) But I do not know when the new boxes are coming out. If I had seen one in a different store, I'd let you know (and I have.) But I have no idea why the stores are not getting Matchbox in. And if you feel the need to grab the topstock box, I cannot stop you. Please just put it back where you found it.

And on that note, please don't go through my cart of boxes. Social distancing and all that. And nope, I don't know the store's inventory. Please seek a blue vest.

And again, I do not work for this store. I don't know where *item* is. You'll have to ask a blue vest. I think there are a few employees somewhere, but they are also quite busy. Nope, no radio, no scanner. I open box, put thing on shelf, repeat.

Most store employees are cool. One section lead is my bud, one is a pain, one hates me for some reason. Meh, we keep out of each other's way.

It's a cool gig, and if I wasn't so scared of getting sick (or getting my boyfriend sick), I'd get the 40 hours/week my boss wants me to.

Anyway, happy to be working again, even if it's a temp gig, and I hope I stay with visiting this site more often.
    "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
    "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Welcome back! ...And feel free to draft others, of course. Don't worry about a post being "long;" we LOVE long posts. Heck, we generally don't see a post as "long" until we have to hit PageDown 4 or 5 times to take it all in

Glad to see you were able to get some work, even with the usual gang of "interesting" customers >_>
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

*you haven't seen long until you've seen my impressive length*
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

When I worked at the fabric store customers would frequently get mad at the lady who came to stock the magazines. Sorry, she doesn't work for our store, she's hired by some other party to take away old magazines and put out the current ones. This concept is just too much for some SCs sad little brains, such as they are.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

One of my stores today was completely trashed, *sigh*, but I actually had super-sweet customers. They just wanted to chat about the toys they loved and collected.

Too bad I was trying to sort everything while they chatted
          "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Welcome back!

I kinda wish outside vendors could have a sign saying "I DON'T WORK HERE!!!" I know I'm not the only one who has gone up to someone stocking shelves expecting that they actually work there and will know where the product I want is.

I once walked up to a Coke guy to ask about Pepsi products. He was very nice. I was too embarrassed to ask how many idiots he has to talk to daily.

Also, just to maybe give you a chuckle...I know where my towel is at all times because I have a cat who drags towels around and screams her victory roar when its where she thinks it should be.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
              Also, just to maybe give you a chuckle...I know where my towel is at all times because I have a cat who drags towels around and screams her victory roar when its where she thinks it should be.
              Ford Prefect would be proud of you.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                Photos, or we won't believe it ...

Cat: Welcome back! I work as a cashier in a grocery store and we get a lot of questions we can't answer ("When are you getting more [Item] in?" Answer: I have no clue. We get truckloads of stuff in daily but have no guarantee what's in that magic truck. "Where is [X]?" Answer: um, really, do NOT ask me. This is a gigantic store; I barely knew where things were before our much-vaunted renovation. That renovation sure hasn't improved things.

I don't know whether to say we hope to see a lot more of you (which would involve a lot of SCs on your end) or just ... have a happy holidays.
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                  Quoth Pixelated View Post
                  Photos, or we won't believe it ...
                  K-G was referring to their mailing address, as those of us in the Christmas Card exchange can attest to.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I kinda wish outside vendors could have a sign saying "I DON'T WORK HERE!!!"
                    Also, just to maybe give you a chuckle...I know where my towel is at all times because...
                    On the first bit: We all know they won't read anyway! (Can't or won't??? This book reads like stereo instructions!)

On the second: But of course. Always know where your towel is!
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You are a hoopy frood.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

A worthy prey, those towels. A truly hoopy cat you have

One of our cats does that with a toy rat. He yowls until you you acknowledge him and the rat.

Annoyingly, he loves that rat a little too much...

Comment

Working...
                        X