This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labor Day Fun

First time poster, I've seen this forum before, a couple years ago through Devil's Panties, but it wasn't until I got my job at the grocery store that I've really started to appreciate this place. I work at a Fred Meyers in Alaska (I think it's Kroger, and some other names in the lower 48). I've been there about a month, and have run into more nightmare customers than the whole year+ I worked at a Starbucks.

I already came to the conclusion that something about customer service makes people somehow lose their wits. That's fine, but as for some examples of completely inexplicable nonsense?

These flowers look like sh*t!

Okay, I was just off for my first break, which was late as well, thanks to Labor Day and it's crazy rush. I forgot to take my apron off as I walked away from the insanity that is cashiering. I was barely past the registers when this woman stops me.

Me. - tired, pissed off it's only a 15 minute break, not an hour lunch like I expected.
    SC. - obnoxious woman

SC. - “Excuse me!”
    Me. - “Yes?”
    SC. - “I need to speak to the floral manager.”

Okay. I have no idea who that is, but sure, let's run with it.

Me. - “What's your problem, ma'am?” (have to tell this manager when and if I find him, what the deal is, right?)
    SC. - I already told you! These flowers look like sh*t! I need to see the manager!”

She's shouting this loud enough that anyone around can hear. Me, I don't care. My thought is how to make this go away, and that defaults to handing it off to my manager. Sure, I could have found the floral manager, but honestly, the woman was a whore, and I had 15 minutes to find food during the busiest day I've seen so far. Who honestly needs flowers so much they have to cuss about it? Clearly, your flowers are not filled with happy intention. And hey, try going to the actual florist if you want gorgeous flowers, not the grocery store.

Did you read the sale sign before you stacked that mountain of towels into your cart?

This one happened at the end of my shift, and I was in a much better mood. Things had died down considerably. One of the things going on (maybe for Labor Day, maybe just for the heck of it), is that my store is having 60% off sales in Home and Apparel, off the lowest marked price. Now, when the far too happy enthusiastic lady announces it over the intercom, it makes it sound like everything in those departments is on sale. A great deal of it is. Certain Columbia towels, however are not.

Just a side note, I really hate how our store is set up. Sometimes, the sales will appear directly after the item is rung up. Sometimes, they appear at the end of the transaction (like with the buy one, get ones) and some of them, this is the kicker, are already marked down, and the rung up price is the marked down price. I'm not exactly sure how people don't look at the price to see how much they're getting off on these sales. A lot of my customers don't know the prices in the first place, and then complain at how much they are. They look at the sign, see 30% and 40% off and think 'Well, that must mean it'll be cheap!' When in fact, some of these items are still very expensive, even with those mark downs. This happens a lot in apparel. Luckily, the clothing tags have prices, and I can point out, 'Okay, it was originally priced 55 and you're getting it for 37, so that is in fact that sale price.' Not so much with Home items.

Anyway, this grandma-type lady comes up to my register, with various mini-mountains of assorted towels, all shapes, all colors. Maybe she runs a bed and breakfast? This one is mostly amusing to me, and I don't really blame her. It turns out that the sale was for only two types of Columbia towels, the platinum and the violet colored ones. We found this out after 15 minutes on the phone with the home department.

In general, this job stresses me out more than any position I've had before, which has lead to me making a lot more mistakes than is typical. I'm not use to dealing with customers who think uncontrollable circumstances are my fault, with such direct and intense anger and fear. Oh my god, this sale isn't ringing up the way the Sign Gods said!! Quick, change it before the dimension collapses in on itself!

A question – If you have a checking/debit card.. why would you still use checks? It just seems to me like a hassle... to do almost the exact same thing, minus the delays.

This woman got all up in my face about how her check wouldn't go through and the subsequent actions there of, namely, I had to call a check examiner, who called the lady's bank, which made the lady very afraid and angry for some reason. Here's a thought, you nasty little ho, if you're worried about your privacy, don't piss off the cashier. I have seen your driver's license, I know the number on it, I know your checking account number, your bank, I know your name, and your husband's name. And I know you, in your outrage and demand to see my manager, have embarrassed your comrade into putting on his sunglasses and acting like he's not there.

Last but not least, don't try to flaunt around the fact that you just got 6000$ transferred into your account today and it's just ridiculous that you have to put up with this. I'm not hanging out with you in line because I think it's fun. These are regulations.

That last one happened a few weeks ago, but the others were all today. Apparently everyone has to do their shopping on Labor day. I don't look forward to the holidays at this place... Dear God..

Quoth Jory View Post
    I work at a Fred Meyers in Alaska (I think it's Kroger, and some other names in the lower 48).
    It's still called Fred Meyer's here in Western WA,though it is owned by Krogers along with another store in these here parts.

Quoth Jory View Post
    These flowers look like sh*t!
    All I can think of here is, Karl Rove (google turdblossom.)

Quoth Jory View Post
    Last but not least, don't try to flaunt around the fact that you just got 6000$ transferred into your account today...
    Wow, just wow, I never got why they decide that this is a good thing... wait yes I do, common sense and logic are lost on SCs.

Comment

A question – If you have a checking/debit card.. why would you still use checks? It just seems to me like a hassle... to do almost the exact same thing, minus the delays.
      Because you know if you tried to use the debit card, it would be declined. Possibly a hold on the money she had "deposited", or more likely, no money in the account.
      "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Gotta love those people that still try to write checks because they think that the store doesn't check for funds instantly now days. "I get paid tomorrow, I'll have the money by the time they cash it!"

I work in a grocery store as well, though I got lucky to be away from the registers. You have more courage then me /hug
        Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Quoth Jory View Post
          I suck at remembering to write down my debit card transactions in my check register. If I write a check, I remember to write it down. Plus I ordered Batman checks which will brighten my day and amused me every time I use them.
          "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Cheques (yeah, I'm British) aren't used any more in most countries - certainly not in Finland. Okay, you can get them for special purposes, but they really are a special order thing, and are not handed out in books to ordinary consumers. Instead, everyone uses debit cards as a matter of course, and simply checks their statement online.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think I've ever used the free pack of checks I got from my bank, unless it was to pay off family members.. I always check my statement online. I get kinda surprised when I see 20-somethings using checks.

Though if I did use checks, I would have to get some kind of awesome or hilarious design. I wonder if I someone would make Sailor Moon check backgrounds?

Comment

Quoth Jory View Post
                Though if I did use checks, I would have to get some kind of awesome or hilarious design. I wonder if I someone would make Sailor Moon check backgrounds?
                I would be so happy if they did, lol. Maybe they do, someplace. *hopes*
                1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                -----
                http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

~A question – If you have a checking/debit card.. why would you still use checks? It just seems to me like a hassle... to do almost the exact same thing, minus the delays. ~

Well, I use checks to pay my landlady. That's pretty much it. Because then i have paper proof that we paid her on time. Checks in stores are annoying.
                  Welcome!
                  I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose. ~George Carlin.

Comment

Working...
                  X