Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I really know it's not also passed through something other than sex? Scary!
    Exposure to infected bodily fluids is what puts you at risk. So casual contact won't do you any harm.

I mean granted yes, you can contact HIV outside of sex, but I'm talking ... sharing used needles, handling blood without protection, eating green monkey, or getting a blood transfusion prior to 1992.

So yeah, there's no reasonable way for you to have been exposed unless you were doing anything on the list above. (and i rather doubt you were).

But I too always have to get extra questioning when I donate blood. Now that I've been out of the Navy for almost 4 years, I don't have to explain my odd list of foreign countries but I'll always have to explain being in Africa. My first ship pulled into Durban & Cape Town for about a week or two total. Neither city is on the risk list but I still have to explain it.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
      Now that just scares me to death!
      It gets worse, unfortunately. Some more modern research suggests that HIV/AIDS may have existed - and spread beyond Africa's borders -- as early as the 1920's, iirc. It's just that nobody could properly *identify* it until half a century later o_O (Which, given how it works, makes sense -- it makes you vulnerable to other diseases, so those get diagnosed, and thus, "problem solved", and no "need" to delve any deeper.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        I mean granted yes, you can contact HIV outside of sex, but I'm talking ... sharing used needles, handling blood without protection, eating green monkey, or getting a blood transfusion prior to 1992.
        but what.. the.. green as in colour? green as in raw? Green as in ...??!!

sorry if this is a really blonde moment, I'm prone to them
        Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
        What's the difference?
        We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Green as in spoiled (which certainly could be green in color), I think.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Actually, that is the common name of a species of monkey: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_monkey
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth cashierbex View Post
              I love it when people get pissy with me and the damned BOGO half off deals. This is why we need to make the BOGO part bigger. But thats too logical for said drugstore.
              It would not work. You could write the sign so it reads.

"Buy one (1) at full price, get the second for half price"

And the entitled fucks on the planet (of which there are FAR too many) would still only see the "half price" and demand that you give them both at half off.
              I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                It would not work. You could write the sign so it reads.

"Buy one (1) at full price, get the second for half price"

And the entitled fucks on the planet (of which there are FAR too many) would still only see the "half price" and demand that you give them both at half off.

Bex you are exactly right, and yet I fear that you could put a sign the size of the ENTIRE store like that and the same exact thing would occur. It's so sad

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                  you could put a sign the size of the ENTIRE store
                  cs: But WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH I can't be bothered to walk the length of the entire store!!

us: Or you could have just read the sign from anywhere in the parking lot you just came from. The entire sign is visible in one glance from there.

cs: If I'm not in the store I shouldn't have to LOOK at the store!

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                    WTH does a 70 year old need to buy condoms for .... unless he's got him a sweet young thing going?? just ewwwww
                    I fully intend to have an active sex life at age 70. Sex is fun!!

Quoth siskaren View Post
                    I find it interesting that the guy insisted that the condoms were 50% off, not buy one, get one 50% off, yet he bought 2 boxes.
                    If it's something I'll use before it goes bad, and it's 50% off, I'll go ahead and buy two. It's the same amount of money, and I get twice the product.
                    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                      I fully intend to have an active sex life at age 70. Sex is fun!!

If it's something I'll use before it goes bad, and it's 50% off, I'll go ahead and buy two. It's the same amount of money, and I get twice the product.
                      Absolutely AC, sex is fun! As I said, I fully understand that older people have sex, it was the attitude that got me. It was only later that I got thinking about it that wierded me out, and I'll admit I really didn't think the STD thing through. I was mostly thinking of condoms as a pregnancy-prevention device.

Sorry to anyone I offended or showed my ignorance to

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
                        I find it interesting that the guy insisted that the condoms were 50% off, not buy one, get one 50% off, yet he bought 2 boxes.
                        Because basically, he thought he was going get two for one.
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                          Sorry to anyone I offended or showed my ignorance to
                          I certainly wasn't offended.
                          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Working...
                          X