Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from your friendly gas station clerk!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from your friendly gas station clerk!

I've been lurking here for quite a while; it's become a weekly ritual, especially after a stressful week at work!

What lead me to finally sign up has been the experiences I have had in the past two weeks here at our beautiful convenience store, where customers are always happy!

My position with said company(we'll call it KC) is "Customer Service representative", a fancy name for cashier/janitor/food service worker/babysitter for some of the drooling idiots who come into the store on a daily basis. With such responsibilities, I am expected to give the best service possible with a smile! Quite hard on some occasions when all I want to do is hide and/or choke certain customers.

Here are a few gems from the past couple of weeks:
    SC: Snobby Customer
    M: Me!

This particular customer comes in for a carton of the same cigs every week, knowing that we only carry single boxes.

SC: I'll take a carton of Marlboro Mediums
    M: Sorry, we don't have cartons
    SC: Can't you just ring up ten and give me a discount!
    M: No, for inventory perposes, I can't
    SC: Well, they always do it at *other store*!
    M: Well, we don't, I'm sorry.
    SC: *get's pissy and storms out*
    M:

Another great customer, this one had me shakey and extremely annoyed afterword. Thank god for my understanding ex-manager!
    AC: Aggressive Customer
    M:

AC comes up to the counter and lears at me. I already know he's going to be irritating.
    AC: Ya'll got dem cigars that er like cigarettes?!
    M: Um, I don't know. Do you happen to know the name of them? If you do, I can try and find them.
    AC: Yeah...*trails off and starts coming around to my side of the counter where he isn't supposed to be*
    M: Umm, you aren't supposed to be doing that...
    I was getting irritated and told him to please return to the other side of the counter. He's attempting to get his own cigs and I have a line building up while I am watching this dumbass.
    AC: DON'T YOU BOSS ME AROUND! *looks at my manager across the store* SHE IS BEING RUDE TO ME!
    M: .....
    We finally get his stupid cigs and he has the balls to apologise saying he is just a straight forward kinda guy!. Really?! Does that mean you have the right to be rude to me? I guess in your world it does. Maybe next time you come in I'll be "straight forward" with you.
    No, just, no.
    He leaves. I suppress the urge to punch something.
    My manager had me do non-customer related work afterwords to blow off some steam.

I have many others that are more recent but I'm tired and my eyes are straining.
    Last edited by Squab; 06-01-2012, 04:52 AM.

The gas station I worked at, for the longest time, they put the snuff in the worst spot...right where customers could just walk in and grab it. Someone wasn't quite on the ball when they moved stuff around.

I had been complaining about customers walking in, grabbing their own chew.....it went ignored and ignored until my manager saw it happen one day.

Then the chew got moved. Imagine that.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Our chew is right where customers can grab it too, blas. Irritates me, but yet it's helpful, because a lot of my good regulars know I can't reach the top, so I let them help me out and grab their chew, with me watching of course. Other than that, though, the area behind the counter is employees only. We can actually be fired for letting customers back there. Honestly, Squab, your manager should probably have kicked the guy out, but that's just my opinion. As for your first story...hi, I work at a c-store that does the ten packs for carton price thing. Sorry about that. People need to realize, though, that every store is different, and learn to accept it. Oh...wait...almost forgot what site I was on for a second. Oops!
      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Just out of curiosity, do you just not sell cartons or do you not receive cartons?

Also, a carton of Marbo's is usually 8 packets not 10.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          Just out of curiosity, do you just not sell cartons or do you not receive cartons?

Also, a carton of Marbo's is usually 8 packets not 10.
          The particular ones she asked for are the ones that they just fill up. For some reason they don't keep cartons of it. We now have one tucked away for that one customer to avoid said situation.

Comment

In the US, cartons usually have 10 packs with 20 cigs each.

Most places have processes in place to handle the discount given to a customer for handling selling 10 packs even if they don't buy an actual carton. After all, those packs were all inside a carton at one time.

But guess what, SC? Some places don't, and it's not the clerk's decision, so don't bitch at her.

Comment

Back in the White Hen Pantry in the early 1990s, I used to sell cigs, and we were not supposed to sell cartons. We opened them to stock the narrow shelves with deathsticks.

As this wasn't in Chicago, they sold like crazy (taxes were still low on them).
              Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Where I work, we get our stock in packets of 10 x 20 cigs and 20 x 10 cigs. We do often sell the packets of ten boxes to customers, if they want ten boxess, cuz it's easier than grabbing ten loose boxes and meaning we'd only have to fill an empty space later.

However, the customer gets charged for ten single boxes. Anyone who has a bone to pick with this can just bugger off and visit the supermarket over the road, which sells actual ten box cartons. True, it would be less convienient and you'd have to fork out to park your car, but if you want to buy a ten box carton, guess you're going to have to.
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

I usually let some people back where our cigars are (its not close to the register like the other smokes. But some can't see and I dunno the cigars that well. But they let me grab it. We used to have a door but some idiot didn't want to put it in the design. Makes for many SCs

Comment

Working...
                  X