This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupons do NOT work that way!

This took place on Saturday, where I had originally been scheduled from 5-9, but okayed it with SM to show up 10-3 instead. A was annoyed at this so I didn't get a break (wtf) and get thrown on register at 1 PM. By the time this incident happened I had already made a few--minor and fixable-by-me--stupid mistakes which to any other manager is a sign that I need a break NAO.

<BG>It's almost a universal truth/running joke that SCs around here are skewed toward one ethnicity, they feel that everyone owes them everything. A CW calls them the [Town] branch of the Brighton Beach mafia.

So, a customer comes up with various meat products, and a Catalina store coupon for $2 off any meat purchase of $5 or more. We haven't given those out since March/April.

I check the date, it expired on April 23rd. The register won't let it through.

M:
    SC: three guesses

M: This coupon is expired. I can't take it.
    SC: No, I can use it. You have to take it, I gave it to you.
    M: It won't scan. The computer won't let me take it.
    SC: Put in the numbers! (good lord, someone actually explained to her that they were typing a coupon in?)
    M: I can't do that, it won't go through. The computer won't let me take this, it's expired.
    SC: You can make it go through! (I am seriously going to strangle whoever is telling people that we can type these in)
    M: No, I can't. It expired two months ago.
    SC: No, it's only a few days old. (where are these magical coupons where the expiration date resets if you aren't holding them?)
    M: (trying to be pleasant) This expired in April. It is now June.
    SC: I need to use it, I was out of town.

At this point I get a manager, who happens to be A (who has in the past forced me to take expired coupons).

SC: "But I had to go out of town, it was an emergency and I had to go to [somewhere] to the hospital and I couldn't use this. I'm back now and I want to use it."
    A: "I understand that, but the register won't let it through. I can't override the register. I can't take this. It expired." (!!!! SM must have talked to her about expired coupons)
    SC: see above, with a few extra TMI non-details added
    M: *pointing to date* This expired in April. It's now June.
    SC: But I couldn't use it then and I want to use it now! (repeat above ad nauseam)

End result (five minutes later), she didn't get to use the coupon. Her total bill was only like $20.

She came back yesterday, and started bitching about why there were no coupons I half-expected A to tell her that if she wanted a discount on anything to tell the cashier and they would do it (SM actually did do this for a man who was also complaining about the lack of coupons...and he wonders why our store has so many EWs).
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Well at least the manager didn't cave in and take the coupon amount off. Not that it would change the SC's behavior, but it always makes them even smugger when the management bends over backwards whether or not they were in the wrong.

Comment

You know what she could have done if she knew she was going to be out of town for the duration of the coupon's date? Given it to a friend with a 20 dollar bill and ask THEM to pick her up XYZ meat!
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Bleah, glad they didn't give in. Don't see how bitching to employees about the lack of coupons would do anything. Complain to the higher ups if it bothers you that much.

Here, coupons can't be scanned so typed in is how they get entered, lol.

Comment

So glad to see a manager not giving in! Giving in to SCs just makes them ten times worse, and means they will tell all their loathsome SC friends and family so the SCs in the store will be multiplied. -.-

Where I work, if a coupon is out of date, then tough shit. Doesn't matter whether the SC insists we call out the manager, the store manager or whatever; they are not going to get what they want.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

All that for $2.00?!
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

SC: *foaming at the mouth* IT'S NOT THE MONEY, IT'S THE PRINCIPLE, LOWLY PEON!!!
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

where on a coupon does it say a customer can use it at any convenient time, anyway? I've got to get some of those coupons. ( I'm really bad at using coupons or gift cards before they expire. I've never tried to use an expired one, though.)
                Last edited by sstabeler; 06-04-2012, 10:06 PM.

Comment

"Even if I could somehow make it go through, we wouldn't get credit for it." <---have said this. What I didn't say was We're not in business to give money away.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    We're not in business to give money away.
                    Sadly, many SC's don't see this as a valid reason to NOT give money away, as long as it's to them. ditto "I'll get fired"/"I'll get fined"/"I'll go to jail" -- waah waah waah now GIMME THE DAMN DISCOUNT!
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

How is it your problem that she had to go out of town? Answer: It's not...except in her little self-important world...
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

As I said in the first post, this group expects everything from everyone.

Comment

You actually had a manager back you up? It's a sign of the end-times!
                          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Yeah, and it was A to boot She seems to be getting better, aside from the problem of no breaks if I need to come in off-shift. (I wonder if SM did talk to her...)

Comment

Working...
                            X