This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wierd, no gross, no wierd AND gross!

Not sure exactly where this belongs, but because the Customer got pissy with me, I'll put it here

We are a drugstore. Yes, we sell condoms. Saturday (today) is the day we put out the ad tags for Sunday's sales. Yes we will honor those tags, even if technically it's not Sunday yet.

Guy with Worst Bad Breath I've EVER Smelled (not actually relevant to the story, just added for your amusement) comes up to my register with some stuff and two boxes of condoms. I ring it all up, tell him the total, and he's CBF. "These" pointing to the two boxes of condoms "are 50% off!!" Well okay, our ads are almost always Buy One Get One 50% off, but I'll play along.

I flip through both the flyer that ends tonight AND the one that starts tomorrow. I see the condoms as a Buy One Get One 50% off and show it to him. "NO NO NO that's not right!!!!!!!!!!! I'll go get the tags and SHOWWWWWWWWWWWW you!!!!!" He storms back to the condom aisle, comes back, and SLAPS two ad tags down on the counter. "SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE???"

I say "yes sir, that's what it says. Buy one get one 50% off." As I point to EACH word on the tag. "That's what I did. I rang the first box of condoms up at full price and then rang the second box up at 1/2 price for you".

"Well yanno what? Just f***ing FORGET it!!!!!!!" as he storms out.

Not really too bad huh? But here's the kicker. I'm 54 and this guy was WAYYYY older than me. He was 70 if he was a day. WTH does a 70 year old need to buy condoms for .... unless he's got him a sweet young thing going?? just ewwwww
    Last edited by Teefies2; 05-27-2012, 05:58 AM. Reason: explanation of my thinking on this

I realize older people have sex, but assuming your partner is around the same age as you, there is no danger of pregnancy. And let's be honest, unless you're worried about STDs, there's no other reason to buy condoms at that age!

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
      I realize older people have sex, but assuming your partner is around the same age as you, there is no danger of pregnancy. And let's be honest, unless you're worried about STDs, there's no other reason to buy condoms at that age!
      The age group with the most new cases of hiv is over fifties. Kids grown up and leave home, couple divorce who in the meantime only had that one partner and missed the aids education and information over lasf 30 years, gets new partner, too shy to ask to use a condom or pregnancy is only concern= catching something.

Yes customer in this case was a dumbass but please always use a condom.

Comment

I find it interesting that the guy insisted that the condoms were 50% off, not buy one, get one 50% off, yet he bought 2 boxes.

Comment

I love it when people get pissy with me and the damned BOGO half off deals. This is why we need to make the BOGO part bigger. But thats too logical for said drugstore.

Comment

Quoth cashierbex
            I love it when people get pissy with me and the damned BOGO half off deals. This is why we need to make the BOGO part bigger. But thats too logical for said drugstore.
            This is one of the reason I wanted off the main register so bad. I don't have to fight as many customers over this in cosmetics. Yay.
            Why make '50% OFF' huge and 'buy one get one' so small if it's gonna cause your employees so much stress?
            (I hate these ad tags too.)
            Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
            Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
              This is one of the reason I wanted off the main register so bad. I don't have to fight as many customers over this in cosmetics. Yay.
              Why make '50% OFF' huge and 'buy one get one' so small if it's gonna cause your employees so much stress?
              (I hate these ad tags too.)
              Because corporate knows that's all the customer is going to read anyways. You could make the 50% OFF so tiny it'd require a magnifying glass to read, but that'd still be all the customers see. In this case, it's not being unable to read. It's selective reading.

Oh, this drove me so up the wall when I worked at the Wart of Mall. I even threatened to tape over the 50% OFF part just to see if customers would still see it!
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

My other favorite:
                "Coupon found in most Sunday papers"

People read it as:
                "In-store coupon"

So much frustration for me .

Comment

Quoth cashierbex View Post
                  People read it as:
                  "In-store coupon"
                  Or, better yet, stealing it from one of your papers without buying it (if yer store sells papers), or demanding that YOU do so...
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Ha, usually happens the Thursday after the papers all go out. They expect me to pull one out of thin air.

Comment

We should all be glad he is trying to prevent himself from procreating
                      Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

thing is it won't matter which is bigger, the "bogo" or the "50%". SCs will always see only what they want to see.

Take "bogo 50% off"
                        make the BOGO bigger and they'll think it's "buy one get one free"
                        make the 50% bigger and they'll think it's 50% off total.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                          make the BOGO bigger and they'll think it's "buy one get one free"
                          make the 50% bigger and they'll think it's 50% off total.
                          Thiiiiiiiiis.

For some reason, I am regularly asked "Is this Buy One Get One?"

Since they leave off the word "free", I always respond with, "Lady, everything is buy one get one."

When have you ever bought one of something and not gotten at least one?

If they can leave off "free", they can leave off other things like "50% off". Certainly they leave their brains at home, or else they wouldn't fall for this corporate numerology.
                          Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Seniors and those in retirement centers are actually the age group in America getting the highest amount of new cases of AIDS in the country so it's not really a surprise to me. Weird facts you learn eh?

Comment

Quoth HiddenMica View Post
                              Seniors and those in retirement centers are actually the age group in America getting the highest amount of new cases of AIDS in the country so it's not really a surprise to me. Weird facts you learn eh?
                              Now that just scares me to death! I'm about to be a "senior", turning 55 in July, which qualifies me for most "senior" discounts. I actually lived in Africa (birthplace of AIDS, if the current research is to be believed) during the 60s/70s. I haven't had unprotected sex with anyone other than my husband. How do I really know it's not also passed through something other than sex? Scary!

The worst part for my husband is that, for the rest of his life, he will have to answer the question "Have you ever had sex with someone who lived in Africa?", yes. I was 15 when I left there and a virgin - there is no way I would have contracted AIDS (unless of course it's passed in a way other than sex). That sucks for him.

Comment

Working...
                              X