Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The rudest customer I've ever spoken to....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rudest customer I've ever spoken to....

Hey guys,

On Friday I had the biggest jerk customer! A little background on me first...I work for a utility company in their customer care department which is basically a call center.

Anyway, the call came in and I give my usual opening line "such and such utility company, this is lvceline, how can I help you?" So he starts in with something like "how can you help me? Well first start by getting rid of those cans...cans of beans, cans of corn..." in my head I was like "what in the world is he talking about?" Then I realized he was referring to the way I answered the phone and said "can" instead of "may." Well, I thought he was joking so I was just going to take it in stride and jokingly said "okay so you must be an English teach" to which he replied "no, I just speak English, it's a beautiful language." He had such a snotty tone at that point and I could tell he was being nothing but condescending. I figured this was the start of something bad.

Next, I pull up his account and immediately notice there's an alert stating "ABUSIVE CUSTOMER" which of course makes me nervous but I could already tell we were going to have problems.

I get through verifying his information and he's past due on his utility and is in jeopardy of having his service shut off. He had received a 48 hour shut off notice 48 hours ago and was calling to make a payment. I told him I could take a payment for him no problem, but advised him that it costs $1.99 to pay over the phone, and that's when he lost it. Now, normally we can give the customer an extension while we wait for payment if they don't want to do it that way, but he has broken commitments to the point we weren't going to offer an extension and we needed payment up front to be able to prevent shut off. He's called in before and knows the extra cost...I don't blame anyone for not liking it but just that information he already knew set him off.

He started laying into me about how can I sleep at night asking people to pay money to pay their bill and he's not going to pay that fee. He also asked me how I could work for such a company and that I was just a mindless monkey and my company was pulling the strings. I told him he's making it personal and it's not about that. I tried to steer it away but at that point he wanted someone else who was going to tell him something different so I was about to get a supervisor and as I told him I was going to put him on hold for a moment he wished me a long and hateful life! I couldn't believe how rude he was! I couldn't say anything to him, he was just rude and nasty no matter what came out of my mouth.

Fortunately I don't get this league of customer very often, but I just couldn't believe how rude he was being to me for no reason. Looking over his account even going back as far as 10 years, every single comment is about how rude and abusive he was and how almost everyone who had to talk to him threatened to hang up on him including the supervisor I transferred him to. I wish we could stop servicing customer's like that. I kept thinking about how sorry I feel for his wife and kids and what a jerk he must be to everyone he talks to..

Ah yes, the "I'll be an asshat until I get what I want" type.
    The sad part is, it generally works.

Comment

You can't make a guy like that happy. He's miserable and hates his life, so he takes it out on everyone else. If he put that energy into fixing whatever's wrong he might be happier, but no...it's easier and more satisfying to ruin someone else's day.

Don't take it personally and just remind yourself that you will probably never be as unhappy as that guy, because he makes his life worse by being an asshole.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Gah. If everyone knows the guy is an asshat, why don't they just cut off his account?!
        Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
        What's the difference?
        We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Can you believe he actually wished me a "long and hateful life?" I was stunned! How is that possibly not personal? Anyway, yeah I was pretty irritated after that call, I had to take a breather. It's scary to know that I read about worse situations here though, I feel so bad for some people here!

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
            why don't they just cut off his account?!
            (hands over a pair of scissors)
            My Fanfic Page
            My Fiction Page
            My Social Group
            My Pet Social Group
            My You Tube Channel

Comment

Quoth lvceline View Post
              Can you believe he actually wished me a "long and hateful life?" I was stunned! How is that possibly not personal? Anyway, yeah I was pretty irritated after that call, I had to take a breather. It's scary to know that I read about worse situations here though, I feel so bad for some people here!
              I think I'd have said a quick "and you, too, Sir" - you can always blame it later on automatic reflex

Madness takes it's toll....
              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

You can reply, "At least I know I'll have water/gas/electricity in my long and hateful life, and that'll make me VERY happy.."

Comment

Quoth purplecat41877 View Post
                  (hands over a pair of scissors)
                  A scissors? Amateur.

*hands over machete
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I would have expected Irv of all people to go for the slower method.... *hands over a dull rusty spoon*

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                      I would have expected Irv of all people to go for the slower method.... *hands over a dull rusty spoon*
                      Nah, the sooner you get this asshat out of the way, the better.

Use this ->

I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Yeah, this was typical at the call center I was at.

I came to the same conclusion, that many others have.

1. These people are just trying to get what they want when they know they shouldnt.
                        2. They hate so hard they cant stand it that anyone might not be miserable.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                          Quoth XCashier View Post
                          Nah, the sooner you get this asshat out of the way, the better.
                          Machete's cleaner too. I can be out of the way when the blood starts gushing. Then I can be amazed at the unusually large amounts of blood without getting any on me.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I suppose the wood chipper does have its benefits

Comment

In my area, there is only one company that provides electricity and natural gas. I would imagine that if they have the monopoly on important services, they are obligated to provide service no matter how nasty a customer gets. Is that correct?

Comment

Working...
                              X