This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm closed when I say I'm closed

or, I don't care what your watch says. I had a guy walk up to the cafe right about 9:00 and I told him I was closed, that I close at 9:00. He pointed to his watch and said, "8:58." I looked at my register and it said 9:00 on the dot, but since I did not need an argument, I told him I could sell him a slushie. Thankfully, that's all he wanted. Still, it totally contrasts with the man who came earlier. He asked "Are you all done for the night?" I said I was still open and started to walk toward the register when he let me know he was just looking for coffee. He was walking away because he realized I was close to closing, and didn't want to bother me. I offered to make a pot of coffee for him, and would've done it gladly, because he was sensitive to my rushing around.

On top of it, New Manager said as he was checking off my work that I seemed down. I hate having mood monitors! Managers do this all the time. I don't take it out on customers, so why can't management leave it alone? We aren't all going to be thrilled to be there every minute, especially in anything having to do with the cafe.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I hate the mood managers as well.

It always seems, I can't have a bad attitude or dislike anyone or have a negative thought, but everyone else is entitled to feel however they damn well please.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      On top of it, New Manager said as he was checking off my work that I seemed down. I hate having mood monitors! Managers do this all the time. I don't take it out on customers, so why can't management leave it alone? We aren't all going to be thrilled to be there every minute, especially in anything having to do with the cafe.
      I'll let it slide if it's someone I'm close enough to that I might consider confiding at least a few non-work related problems to, even if it's just a minor health issue, and also if they seem truly concerned (not nosey or just wanting cheery customer service). Other than that, none of their business.

Why do people think that buying something retail entitles them to a warm & fuzzy experience? It's a business transaction, nothing more or less - a contract fullfilled (they give you money, you give them merchandise). I can see not wanting someone rude or abrupt, but why do they expect it to be a major event in their day?

Never mind, forgot where I was for a moment, musta dozed off or something

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Oh, the negativity monitors! We actually had an email from a manager about this once, all about how we were all being too negative and the comments had to stop and it was so disrespectul, natter, natter, natter.

As you can imagine, it actually increased the negativity for a while. People need to vent, managers! Deal with it.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yeah, and I hadn't said a negative word to anyone. I just hadn't been interested in having a conversation earlier in the breakroom. (I had gotten a text from a friend and needed to deal with a situation. I left the room to make a phonecall.) I realize now he felt like I was blowing him off, but that wasn't it. I just only had like 10 mins to take care of an issue, since I only had a short break. I do have a life outside work to attend to. I think this manager is young and his job is his one big thing in life right now.

Comment

The worst part is, you can't win with Mood managers. This could be the one time they say "You look down" and it's like being accused of witchcraft. If you say you're fine, you're only being evasive, and if you agree they give you some recycled speech about being positive.

And every decision they make about you in regards to schedules, opportunities, etc, is suddenly biased because of that one time they decided to play pop psychologist.

Comment

I get told all the time by supervisors (especially one) that I need to be friendlier which I don't understand. I have customers all the time come thru my register and tell me they look for me because I'm always so friendly. Also, at my review, I was told I need to be more cheerful when I'm coming in to work. Ok, I'll come in and do a few cartwheels! Wouldn't [B]that[B] be a pretty (scary) site?
              "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

tbh overly friendly strangers make me a bit on the nervous side. i'm perfectly happy in that safe zone of professional and polite, maybe a smile and some eye contact but nothing major. it's what i give my customers, and it's all i really want when i'm served elsewhere. heck, i can survive without smiles, i know retail operatives are human and have a wide spectrum of emotions! just don't slam my stuff around, scowl, bark or glare at me for daring to come and sully your till >.>;; emotions are fine, but professionalism while on the clock is nice

never understood why people want you to listen to their life stories (and return in kind) or smile so wide you could sub for a flip top bin .. i'm glad i haven't encountered a mood manager in my current work place, and only had a short run in with one at my last.

Comment

The manager might have had good intentions.... show that they actually care about you and were worried about you. Remember.. your work family is just about your 2nd family.

Comment

"Aww, you look down today! Is everything okay?" I hate this question, especially with the awww, added to the front, because no matter what you answer, you're clearly in either denial, evasive or being a bitch.

Even though I no longer work, I still get that question and you know what? I'm actually FINE. My default state is neutral. I only smile when I actually feel like it or am paid enough to smile. You can't make me smile any other way. You also can't make me act perky and cheerful, because when those states are forced, they make my head feel like it's exploding in pain. Which defeats the purpose of what you're trying to do.

Oh, now you don't feel like smiling any more? Awww, you must be having a horrible day! Oh, and welcome to the club.
                    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
                      The manager might have had good intentions.... show that they actually care about you and were worried about you. Remember.. your work family is just about your 2nd family.
                      While this may be true with this manager, the situation Nate described is standard for my job. This manager may have meant well, but upper management will mine him for info on me and use it against me in my next review. They need to find ways to minimize raises. I know how it works, after having been there 8 years.

Comment

To anyone whose manager accuses them of not being happy enough: next time you come in to work, do so while singing the song "Smile, Smile, Smile" from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Hilarity will ensue.

I assume no legal responsibility for anyone getting fired, demoted, suspended or otherwise suffering as a result of this plan.

Comment

Manager: "You look down, is everything all right?"

Me: "I'll get over it."

See, my mom when she was training people for a fast food restaurant used to always give a simple speech to them.

"You see those doors? Whatever problems you had outside are left right at those doors when you close them behind you. You can pick them up when you leave, but don't you dare bring them with you on the floor. It affects your performance, and how you deal with people, and it makes your job a whole lot harder than it needs to be. None of the customers know what's going on in your life, if your dog or cat died, or if you broke a nail dressing. They're not going to care, they're going to wonder why you got rude. Then they're going to complain."

She gave it to me when I started my first job, and I made it my personal philosophy - home problems stay at home. Work problems stay at work.

Comment

"Are you open/closed?"

"No, but I play one on TV."

Really, does it take Benedict Cumberbatch to figure out REGISTER LIGHT = OPEN?
                            Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

I always hate people who tell me to smile. I actually find smiling to be very difficult, due to having Aspergers; I compensate for this for always having a pleasant manner whenever serving customers. Just cuz I'm not smiling, doesn't mean I'm miserable. -.-

And yeah, closed means closed. Whenever a customer tries to get in the petrol station after closing time, I always think, "This place opens at seven am. What the fuck have you been doing all day, that the only time you can get here is after we close at ten?!"
                              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                              X