Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone recommend me a free antivirus?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone recommend me a free antivirus?

Long background here.

Two days ago I updated avg, update went fine and it prompted for restart, once the computer came back on it wouldn't boot, at all.

Managed to try booting into safe mode and startup hung on avgidsha.sys *every* time.

Used my tablet to check online and found it's a known problem, AVG even have a section of their site dedicated to fixing it.

One problem, their rescue disk thing to fix it requires somewhere you can plug in a usb stick or a cd burner to make it. I don't have another pc or a laptop.

Tried the library computers, can't unzip the file because of the protective software on there. All my friend are at work.

Called out a pc repair company but managed to fix the damn pc before he turned up. Saved £50+ by cancelling the tech. (Spent the saved money on magic cards. I know, I know, but after 7 hours of trying to fix this clusterf**k i needed a treat and M15 came out a week or so ago.)

Got onto the desktop, uninstalled AVG. The PC runs better, boots faster and can handle more tasks at once than it has since the day i got it home.

Never *ever* going back to AVG. This is not the first problem I've had either.

[/long background]

So, AVG is out, i've installed Avast free for now, what are your antivirus recommendations?

I'd say, as a long-time user of avast! free, you're set. I even have avast! Free for Education currently installed for the school district I work for.

My favorite tool in avast! is the Software Updater - You have to pay to have it automatically install program updates, but in manual mode, it lets you know if there are updates for programs like Adobe Reader and Flash, web browsers, Java, etc. When you tell it to update, it just installs the updates. You don't have to worry about going through the installation wizards, asking if you want to install other programs.

Comment

If you don't already have windows defender and/or MSE installed I suggest you try at least one.
      Last edited by dendawg; 07-28-2014, 02:14 AM.

Comment

I use Avast
        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
          I use Avast
          Me too .

Comment

Another vote for Avast. My big tip is to turn on Gaming Mode, so that it doesn't (literally) shout at you when it's doing routine things like updating its own definitions.

Comment

Awesome, in that case I'll stick with Avast.

Chromatix, thank you, good tip, it does seem to be very chatty.

Comment

Working...
              X