X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Update the Files

File Under: "Repeat Offender, Inexplicable"

I wonder about people who continue to illegally park even when they know what will happen to them.

The Jeep I towed out of the lot at 404 E Parsons St today? That was the FIFTH time he's been towed from that lot*.

*It's not even much of a lot. It was a paved lot, once upon a time, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, politicians could casually decry "The Threat of Communism" and still be taken seriously, and your TV tube still had a tube in it..... since those halcyon days, it's degrade to the point where it's become the urban equivalent of scar tissue, a lumpy pock-marked and mottled mess that only hints at what used to be there.... don't pick at it, you'll only make it worse.

It's a marked PRIVATE lot, open only for the 7 or 8 cars that belong to the company that owns the lot. It's overflow for their employees/work truck parking, their office is like three blocks away from there. Furthermore, there's nothing near there that could possibly interest you! There's no pizza place, post office, classroom or bottle shop nearby. No place where it's obvious you have mosey'd yerself off to for "just a minute" to grab a latte' and cinnamon bun and then perform the Two-fisted-100-meter latte-and-cinnamon-bun-dash when you exit and see that purchasing those items took longer than it did to hook your car up. (Incidentally, if that ever becomes an Olympic sport, the gold-medal winner will certainly hail from this town).

Seriously, on one side is a residential neighborhood with free street-level parking until 2am, on another, a church, with FREE parking on a much NICER lot with REAL asphalt, another side has an apartment complex, again, with it's OWN lot and the last side is storefront that's been vacant for years with no parking of it's own...

Why are you parking here?

Where do you wander off to after you do?

A mere block away is FREE parking

A mere two blocks away is a PUBLIC PARKING LOT

A mere three is a PUBLIC GARAGE

Yes those cost money, but NOT $115 a sitting!

Why haven't you got the message that you can't do this after FIVE separate tows?

I'd call Robert Stack, if he were alive still, cuz' I just want to know that bad....

File Under: "Repeat Offender, Explicable"

You on the other hand, I know EXACTLY why we towed you twice from that private lot over at 600 Dome St. , and why after the first tow, you went right back there again. Because when you finally got the hint and moved out into the street, the Borough promptly put the clamp-o-shame on your truck's right rear wheel. I'm no expert on finance. In fact, I'm no expert at anything outside of getting my left hand repeatedly traumatized in embarrassing accidents involving power tools. But, if you knew you had delinquent parking tickets to settle with them, wouldn't it have been smarter to have given them $230 instead instead of giving it to us? It would have at least been a start and would've made the de-booting fee a little easier to digest? Wouldn't it?

File Under: "Humanity, Despair for Future of"

And now, the dumbest question I get asked.

I get asked it ALL the time by ALL manner of people. Young, old, male, female, truck drivers, car drivers, the soon-to-annoy me and already-have-annoyed me.

It's happened so many times that the reason I've failed to make a canonical entry about it is due to it's own brain-melting inanity. I'd hoped that over the years, as I encountered it more and more, there'd be some pattern emerge that would explain it, some common denominator I could latch onto to justify it, yet, like the Bermuda Triangle, it remains an unsolvable enigma.

And it goes like this:

I'll pull into a lot for an illegal car, and as I'm loading, another car will pull in behind me. The driver will see what I'm doing, get a very confused and/or stressed out look on their face, exit their vehicle and ask me, with a tinge of panic in their voice, "So, I can't park here?"

And yes, half the time or better, they HAVE A PERMIT FOR THE FRIGGIN LOT!!!

They have a permit, they presumably know the rules of the lot, if not, they could read the signs, and yet, they're concerned that they'd just get summarily and arbitrarily towed.... for what reason? Who knows.... it a mystery.

No, wait, that other thing that starts with "M" and ends with "Y", a MISERY!

And like I said, it happens ALL THE TIME!

Sometimes, when I'm bored, I'll go to Google Earth, scan the multitude of satellite images on file, and try, in vain, sadly, to find out where that huge pile of discarded human intelligence is.... it's GOT to be out there somewhere! That's the only explanation for these questions!!! It's GOT TO BE HERE!!!!!

Montpelier? *click* Nope....

Des Moines? *click* Nope....

Anchorage? *click* Nope..... *Sigh* someday.... someday........
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

*hands you a large box full of cookies*

I'm an airhead, but even I know that having a permit for the lot you're in entitles you to park there. No permit, no parking.

And, yes, paying parking tickets is wiser than getting towed. But some folks (as evidenced by your post) are not wise.
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Is it a bad thing if I look forward to reading your posts 2nd most on this site only behind VRS's posts?

I heard that big heap of intelligence is settled firmly in Nunavut, however the residents have distributed the findings incorrectly hence GK's posts.
      "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

For repeat offenders, it's simple: They figure lightning is unlikely to strike them twice -- in other words, they are braindead enough to think that the guy who called the towing service on them yesterday won't be on the lookout for him again today or tomorrow ~_~

OR that maybe your company won't want to waste time coming out to get him (and make money) again...

Naivete? Arrogance? Stupidity?
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I call it the "it's not my fault" syndrome.

No matter what goes wrong in a person's life, and no matter the cause, it's not their fault: the world/other people is/are out to get them.

Park illegaly and get clamped/towed? Not my fault, the world is out to get me.

They seem to have a broken action-consequence understanding.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            Montpelier? *click* Nope....
            Yeah, definitely not Montpelier. That's where they made it legal to gather roadkill off of the streets for the purposes of human consumption.

Comment

I suppose if you catch it soon enough it would be good for eating, but...uck!
              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Yeah, well, I don't need to park in your lot anyway! I'll go build my own parking lot with blackjack and hookers.
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  For repeat offenders, it's simple: They figure lightning is unlikely to strike them twice -- in other words, they are braindead enough to think that the guy who called the towing service on them yesterday won't be on the lookout for him again today or tomorrow
                  Either that or they think they are immune to towing for a certain period of time. Yeah right.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                    Why haven't you got the message that you can't do this after FIVE separate tows?
                    I wonder if this fellow is a drug dealer or some other criminal-type who doesn't want his vehicle seen in a more populated area. So the parking tickets are a cost of doing business.

Comment

If you ever find that lost cache of human intelligence, let us know. We could set up a mining operation and make a fortune.
                      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

the urban equivalent of scar tissue, a lumpy pock-marked and mottled mess that only hints at what used to be there
                        Sounds like the back parking lot at my job. It's under the thruway overpass and hasn't been paved since the dark ages. We call it The Dungeon. Volkswagens and Mini Coopers have been lost in its rifts and valleys. It's never going to change, though.....the state owns it.

As for the repeat parking offenders, I can only guess they think that one of these days they'll get away with it. And then they'll have stuck it to "the man."
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
                          Yeah, definitely not Montpelier. That's where they made it legal to gather roadkill off of the streets for the purposes of human consumption.
                          And yet, I'll be people still get towed for illegal parking there.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            As for the repeat parking offenders, I can only guess they think that one of these days they'll get away with it. And then they'll have stuck it to "the man."
                            This is EXACTLY why they're doing it.

"How dare The Man tell me where I can't park! My taxes pay his salary, he can't tell me not to park here! I'mma park where I want!"

(Never mind that he doesn't actually pay your salary that way, this is how his flawed thinking works.)

And The Man will NEVER let him get away with it, because The Man can just keep making money off of him.
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Sooo...

I can't park here?

Comment

Working...
                              X