This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky, perverted customers

This is a growing problem for me, and this is partly a plea for some advice.

What the hell do you do about perverted customers in a customer service environment?

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been subject to a fair few inappropriate comments from customers. The first one, an old guy was buying some stuff, I rang up his items, and started to put them in a bag. Due to the nature of the items, and the plastic bag, it seemed they might fall out, so I tied the handles in a knot, and I said "here, I'll just tie that up for you," while doing so.

To which he replied "Oooh, going to tie me up, are you?" and laughed. I immediately felt very uncomfortable- thing is, I didn't know how to respond. In friendly, familiar company, I could joke back, and I would even find that funny, but this really made me uncomfortable, he was a complete stranger. So instead, I kept a neutral face and ignored his comment. This seemed to annoy him, and he said "What, no comment?"

I replied "No sir, I'm afraid I found your comment somewhat inappropriate." To which, he then walked off, muttering angrily under his breath.

I was genuinely worried that he was going to complain, although fortunately he didn't. He'd been a pleasant customer right up to that point too. I was very annoyed by the whole thing. It was obvious what I was doing, and the whole thing could have even been ignored if he'd had the sense to realise perhaps I was embarrassed by his comment and not press the matter further (I've had one or two customers make a joke that was in poor taste, realise their gaffe, then just move on from it, thats fine).

He hasn't been alone. Most of the comments I seem to just miss so I haven't reacted to them openly, but I have felt embarrassed realising that I think my customer has just made yet another sexual comment.

Today has made me realise I have to do something about it.

I was serving on refunds today, and served a customer- a man older than my father, so I would probably guess late 50s? Anyway, finishing up his transaction, he then asks me if I'm going to Alt Fest this year- which I found a tad odd, just as he didn't strike me as an alternative type by his appearance (yet somehow, he'd clocked me as alternative/goth despite the work uniform, tied back hair and elephant earrings :P). I said no, as I don't like festivals (of the musical variety).

To which he pressed the matter saying I SHOULD go anyway. I said "Well, I like gigs, but I don't fancy the idea of standing around in a muddy field for a weekend!" (Every year, Glastonbury, Reading, Isle of Wight, they seem to get rained on lol). So he then asks me "So, are you into metal, or gothic?"

All the while, there are 2 more customers waiting behind him, and I have finished and trying to make myself look busy as the conversation was already making me feel a tiny bit weird. I'm walking back and forth along the length of the counter, carrying stuff. I reply "A little of both." He presses further what sort of music, and I say "like I said, a bit of everything. I was in London seeing a sort of Dark-cabaret musician last weekend" (Voltaire btw ).

"Do you go to Club Antichrist?"

Club Antichrist is a well-known fetish and alternative club, also in London. Loads of my friends have been, but I haven't. Its a little bit too fetishy for me, although I have no problem with that. I have been to tamer fetish clubs before, and you'll often find gothy types like them because of the music, relaxed and friendly atmosphere and excuse to dress elaborately I said no, and he started saying very enthusiastically "Oh you should go, you really should."

Distinctly feeling uncomfortable now, he finally left, and I said to the next customer, "Well, that was weird," and she replied "Yeah, I think he wanted you to go to that club with him!"

It DID feel a bit like a pick up in a way, like he was trying to chat me up a bit, which I suppose in itself isn't something to be OVERLY upset about, but having a guy older than your dad trying to tell you to go to a fetish club just seemed creepy to me, and even texted one of my friends (who also enjoys the fetish scene, calls it like it is, and isn't as easily as embarrassed as me) for her opinion- and she agreed it was creepy.

I can't fathom why I'm attracting all these creeps at the moment. Its certainly not down to my dress- I'm wearing work uniforms, black cargo trousers, black polo necks, and bright orange aprons. Clearly very sexy. I do wear gothic accessories and gothic makeup but thats hardly provocative. It would still upset me even in public, with my own clothing, but the clothing can hardly be a reason for this when its work uniform.

I was wondering if my friendly persona can be a problem, but I stopped right there- I am not going down that road again. Me being friendly is not the red-light to act like a complete douche nozzle in ANY situation, and certainly not when I'm clearly working. Surely it should be obvious that at least some of my friendliness is part of the customer service (the rest is just my sparkling personality). Thing is, we can debate sexism and stuff in bars and stuff till the cows come home, but ultimately I AM WORKING, I AM CLEARLY NOT HERE FOR CHAT UP LINES.

I have noticed ALL of the men who do this are older men, close to if not over 60. So much for the stereotype that the older generation have more manners.

Another weird thing is the fact that in some ways, these old creeps have zoned in on the right person. I DO frequent fetish clubs, and I even enjoy some light BDSM with my fiance (something I'm not at all ashamed to mention, especially on the Internet, where I have anonymity anyway, but I'm really not ashamed all the same. Of course, though, needless to say, I DO NOT discuss this at work, with customers or strangers). I enjoy naughty sexual jokes, and a part of my personality is quite sexually entuned, open-minded, and open when discussing those sorts of topics...however, I am not promiscuous, and I don't talk about that kinda stuff with strangers AT ALL- with friends and family, I give none of the fucks.

Its part of the reason that makes it more uncomfortable. I'm SURE I haven't joked about that kinda stuff at work before, but now I'm second guessing myself (when logically, I know I am a very professional rabbit, who does not discuss controversial topics like that while on the clock). I've been wondering if maybe I've laughed at something I shouldn't have, and I know I haven't- because i've been uncomfortable.

Tommorrow, I'm going to try and get hold of my supervisor and ask her advice, but I'm frankly at a loss here...its completely different to a colleague sexually harrassing you.

My fiance's advice so far is to go into the hardware aisle, and find a staple gun -_-

Sorry to hear that!

As an older gentleman, I apologize for the behavior of those louts.

Why they chose you to hit on? I don't know, apart from the fact that some people hear gentle, charming conversation and think, "Aha! They haven't told me to go away yet! Now's my chance!"

Your behavior is far from the issue; from what you described, the term "flirtatious" does not describe your conversation, but rather "professional and polite." The behavior of those oafs is based on their issues entirely. As far as I am concerned, you did not encounter gentlemen - merely aged hooligans who, even now, have somehow failed to grow up.

I hope that I may be able to amend your opinion by offering you solace that there are those of us who would respond to your offer to tie up a bag of purchases with a simple, "Thank you!"

Again, for their churlish actions, I apologize.
    Experience is knowing how not to get your teeth kicked in - again. -- The Freethinker

"And that... entitles you to no mercy at all, no matter what." -- from Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

Comment

You're a captive audience...I think it's just that.
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Tama's right. They know that you can't tell them to get lost. And being a nice person, and someone with a good attitude, you are trying not to be rude. But you don't have to be.

You do need to shut them down. Some people are just socially clueless but that's no reason to keep up a conversation that squicks you out. The problem with answering any question that makes you uncomfortable is that it tends to encourage people to keep talking about it. For example, if someone asks you if you're going to a certain event, try saying "No, sir. Thanks for shopping with us today", then turn to the next person in line. It takes a little finesse but the idea is to politely make it clear that the transaction AND the conversation are OVER. Or, you could always try, "No, my fiance and I are busy that weekend." The fact that there's a fiance might give the guy a hint that he's crossing a line.

The first guy was just being a jerk. He may have thought his little joke was all right (it's not) but he took it to the jerk level by asking why you didn't comment. He deserved what he got.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Little Retail Rabbit View Post
          I do wear gothic accessories and gothic makeup
          I was wondering if my friendly persona can be a problem
          I have noticed ALL of the men who do this are older men, close to if not over 60.
          Put these together and I think you have your answer:

1. These guys are desperately trying to stave off their impending mortality by hitting on a young woman. After all (they think) if a young women is interested, then they must not be that old.

2. The goth accessories and makeup tell them that you're open minded. Couple that with friendliness, and they think they have a shot.

I suspect that if you ditched the goth jewelry and makeup at while at work, this garbage would pretty much stop.

Of course, you'd still have the creepy old guys who hit on young women knowing perfectly well that they haven't got a chance in hell, but get their jollies knowing that they grossed-out and upset the poor girl. Withering, scornful laughter and remarks about not being into necrophilia usually get rid of those types.

Comment

Quoth Grumpy View Post
            Withering, scornful laughter and remarks about not being into necrophilia usually get rid of those types.
            Ouch. (This is here cuz just "ouch" is too short.)
            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Grumpy may be right about getting rid of the goth accessories and makeup at work. It's worth a try. If it doesn't stop, then you know that they're not the cause and can always put them back on.

It could be merely that you're young, personable and in a 'Customer Service' position, and that makes you, as Tama said, a sitting duck captive audience. Don't know if it makes you feel better or worse, but you are probably not the only young thing these goofs are hitting on.

The first guy was probably just making a lame joke, but he should've let it fall to the ground with a dull "thud" when you didn't react. Sounds to me as if he was embarrassed at your lack of reaction and chose to express it by getting pissed off at you. I'd have given him a bland, professional smile, handed him his parcel and said, "Have a nice day, sir." And then turned immediately to the next customer in line. Or, if there wasn't anybody else, picked up the cleaner and paper towels and started spritzing cleaner madly in all directions.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              *snip*

For example, if someone asks you if you're going to a certain event, try saying "No, sir. Thanks for shopping with us today", then turn to the next person in line. It takes a little finesse but the idea is to politely make it clear that the transaction AND the conversation are OVER.
              *snip*
              This is absolutely the best way to do it. The problem with mentioning a fiancé is that it might open a whole new avenue of *squick* from some of these guys: "OhHO! A fiancé! Well, bring him along and we can all have fun!" *leer leer*

Best just to squish them as flat as possible as quickly as possible.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                " The fact that there's a fiance might give the guy a hint that he's crossing a line.
                I sincerely doubt that. Anyone who's hitting on someone young enough to be their grandchild is not going to be put off by a fiance. You could be in the middle of getting married, and they'd think it's appropriate to hit on you. Reminds me of something I saw somewhere on the internet. "Girls, if you want guys to stop hitting on you, don't tell them you have a boyfriend, tell the you have a dick."
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

"Thank you for shopping with us today, sir."

<turn to the next customer in line> "How may I help you?"

I'm afraid that as far as I know, in a customer service situation this is the only acceptable way to signal that a conversation is OVER.

That said, when the conversation becomes unacceptable, go ahead and be blunt. "Sir, I am at work. This conversation is inappropriate. Goodbye." And yeah, start spritzing cleaner madly in all directions, or lock your till and go to some other duty.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

In the case of comments like the first customer, I usually go with "No sir." And then insert whatever next bit of dialogue makes sense for the continuation of the transaction. (i.e. "Your total is...", "How would you like to pay today?"..., or "Have a nice day." Do not ask "will that be all" or "anything else" as that might be taken as further invitation.)

The second guy...I'd just make it a habit of not going into too much life detail at work, honestly. Especially when there's a line. So..."Are you going to Alt Fest?" "No sir. Is that all? Have a nice day." NEXT CUSTOMER. Do not give these guys an opening.

If you don't have customers and do start chatting, immediately leave when you get uncomfortable. Find a supervisor. Or another coworker. Someone to back you up if creep decides to follow.
                    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

This may be a bit foward, but its like the old saying guys, how you act or what you wear is not an invitation for being hit on.

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                        ... tell them you have a dick."
                        That'll get rid of the straight pervs, but really excite the seriously kinky.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Unless they are asking about products/services directly provided by your employer, there is no need to have a conversation with any customer.

What a previous poster said is perfect : "Thank you for shopping with us, next please!" is good enough. You are not their therapist/sounding board/whatever.
                          It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

Usually I give off the air of being completely no-nonsense I'll-fuck-your-day-up-if-you-try so I don't get many old men trying to hit on me.

What I DO get are multitudes of 30-something men and teen girls who ask the other cashier if I'm single.

My partners are all very kind about this and tell them "She's not interested." Bam. Not. Interested. In any of you. Practically asexual.

Maybe if you tried, "Not interested." And just repeated it. Maybe more polite than I would though.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                              You're a captive audience...I think it's just that.
                              Pretty much, yes. I went through that same crap when I was younger and prettier. I had no idea what to do then, and nobody gave me any help at all.

Kheldarson has some very good ideas. Keep conversation polite, but strictly business. Don't get lulled into the trap. There is no law anywhere that says you have to carry on a conversation that you don't want to.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X