Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things I am NOT (warning- potentially excessive ranting contained herein)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things I am NOT (warning- potentially excessive ranting contained herein)

An ATM

The ATM is over there in the corner, and it doesn't charge. Yes I AM going to charge you for cashback from the till. No I will not give you £11 rather than the £10 you specified because it's "your money"- that £1 ISN'T yours anymore, it's a CHARGE. NO, you CANNOT have a scratchcard with the £1 I've "thieved", IT'S A F---ING CHARGE

Cashback through the till costs our company money, approx £1 for each transaction between our system and your bank account- why should they foot the bill when you CANNOT BE ARSED to walk 10 feet to the actual ATM?
    (We can turn the charge off, but it takes a few minutes and is only to be done when the ATM breaks down... which is not exactly rare...)

The Weather Man
    I kinda have myself to blame for this one... random customer talking about the weather, says it meant to rain more and more all weekend blah blah blah, i make the mistake of mentioning that I'd looked at the local forecast earlier in the morning which said it would get warmer and sunnier as the week progressed.
    OhdeargodwhathaveIdone?
    Now every 5 minutes random customers are asking for random meteorological information... "will it be wet sunday morning?" "x/y/z sports fixture in s---hole-next-town-over, will it be sunny?"... must've been a town meeting to declare me weatherologist of science or something...

Fmybrain

A Road Atlas

If you want directions within this little spit on the map, I can usually help, I've been all over and know 90% of this town perfectly. IF however you want directions to some town/village/hamlet/service station, you do not get mardy with me when I tell you to get on the main road (situated outside the door you just walked in 5 seconds ago) and follow the signs. Or worse still, never heard of the place. Or even better, looking for directions to a completely fictitious location...

And finally...

The things I get called instead of my name. Certain customers use my name- some I'm fine with, some I'm not (I'm sure a lot of people here will understand this), but generally I get called other things. Most things, I'm fine with; mate, pal, bud, buddy, my friend (additional points for this one in a foreign language!),dude, sir (wtf?), even squire is fine by me (although I reserve the right to chuckle to myself about you, you friendly wanker), because I understand them, I know what they mean, I use them myself (well... most of them)

BUT I cannot for the LIFE of me understand the myriad colloquialisms! It irks me. It irks me good. Or maybe bad. I'm not sure... The point is, it gets on my nerves for some reason when I get called things like:

me'duck
    me'chuck
    me'ode duck
    me'china

and the winner by a country mile...
    me'ode chuckie egg

I just... I... I just don't get it... What does it MEAN? What does ANY of it MEAN??

I know, it's not insulting or malicious, it's supposed to be endearing or something, and there is a lot worse I could moan about, but sometimes the little things keep digging and digging and you just gotta vent.
    Shh! My Common Sense is tingling!

china > china plate > mate. (Cockney rhyming slang)
    :-)

Comment

Quoth scruff View Post
      china > china plate > mate. (Cockney rhyming slang)
      :-)
      I'm suddenly OK with this one.
      Thank you sir, for helping alleviate a little morsel of stress

Comment

*grin* china I knew, having grown up in Sauf London.
        Duck and varients I'd heard and known to be intended as friendly, but never bothered to research before, so thank you for asking.

wiki reckons duck is from duke. "derived from a respectful Anglo Saxon form of address, "Duka" (Literally "Duke")"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Midlands_English

Comment

Bugger I've given away my location!

Comment

Quoth ZombieDeterrent View Post
            not really. :-)
            You're between south London and yorkshire, or you're on the Costa Del Crime/Sol/anywhere with timeshares and fake English pubs.
            (I went to the Robin Hood pub in Barcelona - it had brasses and horseshoes nailed to the walls).

Comment

Quoth ZombieDeterrent View Post
              yeppers. we now figure you are somewhere on the planet Earth. most likely in a country where they speak some English.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                most likely in a country where they speak some English.
                Nailed it. But I already knew that from "£1" "arsed" and "mardy."

And I wouldn't call your ranting excessive at all, ZD. Venting's good for what ails ya.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                  Nailed it. But I already knew that from "£1" "arsed" and "mardy."

And I wouldn't call your ranting excessive at all, ZD. Venting's good for what ails ya.
                  Hell, I have been in a Brit and Scandanavian corp in EVE Online for better than 5 years, I not only use britishisms fluently, I can understand Glaswegians ...
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                    ... I can understand Glaswegians ...
                    They can speak now?
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      They can speak now?
                      More or less
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I can understand Glaswegians ...
                        Jings, crivvens & help ma Boab! *copyright "Oor Wullie" & "The Broons"*

Comment

More or less
                          I still remember a "Top Gear" episode where, during the news segment, the boys riffed on accents a bit, starting with how Germans can't pronounce "squirrel" ("It's a skwvirrullell!") and then finding a Glaswegian in the audience and asking him to pronounce "burglar alarm."
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                          X