This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countdown to hysterectomy!

On Thursday, I will get the surgery that I've wanted since I was a teenager. Yes, I am completely serious. How many 16-year-olds want a hysterectomy?

I did.

And I've wanted one ever since.

Finally, FINALLY, I got the doctor's approval. In this country, when you're approved for surgery and you want to choose where you have it, the doctor gives you a reference, which you then take to the hospital of your choice.

And, as I found out, the hospital of your choice examines you (and I always hate that kind of exam), asks for your medical history, and gives you an appointment much earlier than you thought possible. After all this time, after all this pain, after all those jobs I didn't apply for because my cycle was so horrible that I didn't know how often I'd be able to work, the fucker is finally coming OUT.

Also, in this country, they keep you in the hospital for five days after surgery. I'm bringing books. And my phone, so I can connect to the Internet.

What should I expect, as concerns the surgery and aftermath?

The ladies of the forum will be far more help than I could ever be, and I'm sure you know this already, but basically a hysterectomy is (I believe), "instant menopause", especially if it's a full one. So be ready...
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

No, no instant menopause here. They're going to leave the ovaries in, and remove the rest.

I learned today, however, that they're not doing the hysterectomy just yet. As is standard medical procedure here (which I didn't know until today), they're going to do a smaller operation first. Under general anesthesia, they'll go in, get a tissue sample, and send it off to the lab. The lab will perform various tests, the results of which will be sent within two weeks.

It's really frustrating, but I hope that the Big Surgery will take place soon. Once the results are back, and they know I can safely undergo the hysterectomy, I'll be able to go in and have it done.

So tomorrow's operation will have me hospitalized overnight. The Big One will, as stated above, have me in there for five days.

Comment

Can't help with advice (I am also the wrong gender), but I can do "Hugs, Good Luck & a Speedy Recovery!"
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I had my hysterectomy about 10 years ago. Like you, I kept my ovaries so I will go through a natural menopause. BEST. SURGERY. EVER!!

I was only in the hospital overnight, but less than 24 hours from the time the surgery was completed so I was considered outpatient. Had a cystocele repair along with a rectocele repair. Long story there, but big babies (9# 14 1/2 oz and an 8 1/2# both delivered naturally) can wreak havoc on the female body.

I was hoping to only be off work about 4-5 weeks since I had an office job, however, my surgeon kept me off work a total of 7 weeks. After I was able to drive, I continued with my daily activities including going to karate class. Mind you, I only partook so far as dressing out and going through the motions. Nothing strenuous and certainly no participating in sparring. But, the light stretching and walking myself through the forms kept me from getting too lazy. Only do what your doctor will ok you to do, though.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
            How many 16-year-olds want a hysterectomy?

I did.
            Oh, gods, me too. Never managed to convince my doctors. Congratulations!

Comment

Had mine about 30 years ago, at age 30 ... but in my case the whole shebang went, so for me it was indeed 'instant menopause.'

I think mostly what you can expect is to have a little extra money, now that you won't need to be buying "feminine hygiene products" anymore ...

I looked up "aftereffects of a hysterectomy" on Google and there don't seem to be many ... and the ones that do occur certainly don't seem to be common: depression, bleeding, changes in the abdominal floor musculature (with incontinence becoming a problem) and so on ...

I'm not a doctor (nor do I play one on television) but I don't see why they're "going in" for tissue samples and then "going in" again later to do the actual hysterectomy.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

There is a website called hystersisters that is very informative and supportive =)

Had a full instant menopause one 6 years ago and wish I could have had the one you are getting instead of just getting my tubes tied when I was 24, PCOS and endometriosis made my adult life a living hell. [Advice - I still get sort of cramps monthly, the random bits of endmetrium scattered around my insides seem to still hate me and trigger some sort of microcramping sensation. Very annoying. I know damned well I don't have ovaries, so why am I still getting that funky pinch that alternates sides?! ]

I was kept overnight, which didn't bother me. I will advise you to squish a pillow against the operation site if you need to cough to support the incision. Trust me on this. You also don't want to get nauseated and vomit or dry vomit, the heaving is incredibly painful for about a week.

I had to double my kegels to combat sneeze incontinence ... and found doing the full clench when I was getting ready to cough or sneeze was pretty much required until I built the muscles back up. I also had a bit of disfunction for about 3 years until the nerves all more or less rearranged or healed themselves. [nothing like absolutely no ability to release because enough nerve sensation wasn't getting through - all I was working with was the mental aspect of the act. I had a lot more rearranging done than you should be, I had ovarian cancer so they ripped lots of stuff out including the cervex. ]

Just be aware of your body and don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about *anything* that pops up. And go gentle the first time back in the saddle ...
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

I'm back from the hospital, having had the pre-operation operation. It all went well, and I must say, I certainly chose the right hospital! The nurses were wonderful, the doctor was very nice, and everything went smoothly.

Well, except for the cannula being inserted into the back of my hand. I hate that. I really do.

When I had the endometrial ablation a few years back, I woke up from the anesthetic feeling weird and disoriented. I was also shaking with cold. It was horrible. It put me off having the hysterectomy in that clinic, and I'm so glad I did!

At the hospital, I was put on a heated operating table, so there was no post-operative hypothermia. I came out of the anesthetic easily. I wanted water very much, but they had to wait a couple of hours before I could have any. As soon as you can get up and walk, the nurses ask you to go to the bathroom and pee, so they can be sure your kidneys are functioning. The nurse who supervised me had her arms out, like parents do when shepherding their children - only, of course, in my case, it was to make sure I didn't fall.

The hospital food left a lot to be desired, but hospital food almost always does.

I'll be back at the beginning of August for a follow-up, then I should have the "real" surgery shortly thereafter.

Keep the advice coming!

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                    There is a website called hystersisters that is very informative and supportive =)

I was kept overnight, which didn't bother me. I will advise you to squish a pillow against the operation site if you need to cough to support the incision. Trust me on this. You also don't want to get nauseated and vomit or dry vomit, the heaving is incredibly painful for about a week.

Just be aware of your body and don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about *anything* that pops up. And go gentle the first time back in the saddle ...
                    I joined HysterSisters soon after my surgery. Mostly just to read other's stories/inquiries to know I wasn't alone. Very good site, especially considering I did suffer from depression.

One other thing to note-many hysterectomies are now done laparoscopic. I had no incisions externally. Everything was taken out vaginally.

Comment

I will have three incisions - one for the camera, and two for the ovaries. They aren't doing a total hysterectomy; they're leaving my ovaries in.

I'm okay with it. Better three small scars than one huge one.

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
                        I joined HysterSisters soon after my surgery. Mostly just to read other's stories/inquiries to know I wasn't alone. Very good site, especially considering I did suffer from depression.

One other thing to note-many hysterectomies are now done laparoscopic. I had no incisions externally. Everything was taken out vaginally.
                        Mine was DaVinci. I had a robot work on me <geeksquee> Though I have 5 small scars on my abdomen from the deal, they did reuse one from a previous lap operation.

I really hate when people ask me about recovery times, hells bells, I drove myself home the day after I had a parathyroid section [I wanted to spend the night in the hotel next to the hospital, they just glued and steristripped my throat together and I sleep about as still as a flopping fish, so I wanted to be near an ER just in case!] I know that I was told to take it easy for 4 weeks, back to work after 2 weeks but I was 'normal' in 1 week, for my personal value of normal. I have an insane pain threshold and tolerance, and for a diabetic I heal amazingly fast [probably because it is solidly under control, I don't tend to waver much outside 6.5- 6.7 and have been there for about 10 years.]
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I got one only a year ago.

It was a laprascopic--only a couple cuts, drew out the uterus through the vagina, so I only stayed the night.

They gave me an enema beforehand, and that was the worst part. It was pretty awful.

The surgery was fine, but afterward, I cried for no apparent reason. Until I realized that they had taken everything (for good reason--there were tumors). I was feeling SOOO sad until an old friend came to visit me. I wish the nurses would have reminded me that I was having menopausal reactions. My friend was there with a little fan, bless him. It squirted water and fanned me and felt wonderful to a menopausal woman not yet 50. Hot flashes suuuuck.

I ended up taking estrovan for a few months and it worked out very well. There was no pain from the surgery and you can't see the scars.

Comment

Monday is the day! Laparoscopic hysterectomy!

Comment

Well, Monday is still the day, but they want to check me into the hospital on Sunday morning. I was told to eat a light breakfast and nothing else before coming in at 11.

The word "enema" cropped up, and I imagine, given the type of procedure this is, that they want to keep an eye on me so they can be positive I don't eat or drink anything after midnight. I know full well why I can't do that, and I won't, but I can see why they'd want to be sure.

Now I'm beginning to freak out. I thought I had another full day before going in, and I still need to vacuum and do the dishes, finish packing, and lay in a supply of groceries that won't go bad during the time I'm in the hospital. I had hoped to make several meals to freeze, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Fingers crossed!

Comment

Working...
                              X