Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My coworker is about to be fired for DRINKING BEER ON THE JOB!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My coworker is about to be fired for DRINKING BEER ON THE JOB!!!

I of my friends (age 19) from work went on vacation in Florida. He went to 1 of our movie theatres while there. And this surprises me, they have beer at this theatre. He decided to joke around by grabbing an employee cup and putting it under the beer nozzles, acting like he was going to drink beer. This probably would've not been such a big deal, but it turns out that he had no clue that a DM happened to be paying a visit to that theatre that day at that particular time and saw him doing this.
    Many of the others at my theatre believe he will be fired for this, even if our manager doesn't want to, saying that he may not have a choice in the matter. I personally do not think he deserves to be fired for something like this, especially since he was not drinking any beer. He could've just told the DM who caught him, "Smell my breath, I did not take a sip". To me, this sort of thing should result in a write-up.
    Oh and he's also fixing to go into the Marines in another 4 or 5 months, so I don't know if this incident will affect his military career in any way.

Oh gosh! That's awful. I don't think he should be fired for it. Yes, it was a poorly timed joke, but darned if he knew the DM was there. And besides, unless I read that wrong, he wasn't on the job, he was on vacation. I realize a lot of companies have rules about not drinking on any of the properties even while off work, but then we're back to what really happened vs. what it looked like. I agree that a write up is all this warrants at the most! I hope he doesn't get fired for this and that it doesn't affect his military career!
    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

I think part of the issue is that the drinking age in Florida (and most states, if I'm not mistaken) is 21... kid was 19.
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

If I was the manager, I would fire him on it. The movie theater could lose it's liquor license for the kid acting like that and could possibly be fined if someone thought that he was actually drinking it. Even though he is saying it was a joke, clearly the public could see it as a DM he didn't see saw it.

Comment

Personally, I'd fire him. You just can't shit around with underage drinking, or even the appearance of it. You'd be risking fines, loss of liquor licenses, and whatever other penalties the authorities choose to throw at you.

As for his military plans--he should've thought about that before he decided to be an idiot and pretend to drink beer underage. If the Marines find out about that, and I bet they will, they won't want to touch somebody who shows poor judgment like that.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Confusion... he was on vacation in another state? So how did he get access to the employee cup and beer?

Comment

Hmm, I agree, if he was off the clock, and not even at the place where he worked, why did he have access to the employee area and the beer? Sounds like a few more people will get in trouble for letting the kid back there. Kid should be disciplined, but I don't know about being fired. Tough call.
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I would fire him. It was a pretty stupid thing to do. He could have gotten into much worse trouble if police were around, not to mention he's wasting resources for his own amusement.

Comment

I don't get why the age to drink is 21 in the states... in Canada, it's mostly 19, 18 in quebec.

He wasn't described as to have poured himself any, and pretending to do something illegal isn't a crime. If it were my position to do so, I'd tell him to stop screwing around, maybe threaten to throw him out if he was being disruptive to the on duty employees.
                  *Ring* *Ring*
                  M: *Workplace Name*, Ryan speaking.
                  C: Hello Peter, is Ryan there?
                  M: This is Ryan.

Comment

Unfortunately for him, he crossed a line that could cost his employers large fines, loss of liquor license and put CW in jail. Not only was his "joke" where DM could see it, I'm wondering who else (including patrons) saw him. It may have just been a "joke", but CW had poor sense and the theater will probably cover their butts by firing him.

As someone else mentioned, I'm curious about why he was allowed into an employees only area when it wasn't his theater. Heads are sure to roll on that one.

As for military, he might luck out. He's not being arrested or charged with a crime and his employment record may simply say he was going against policy. Consider it a well-needed lesson in life and hope for the best.
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth boxxertrumps View Post
                      I don't get why the age to drink is 21 in the states... in Canada, it's mostly 19, 18 in quebec.
                      It's because of certain decisions the government made in the past regarding federal highway funds, and the pros and cons of that are for Fratching.

Quoth boxxertrumps
                      He wasn't described as to have poured himself any, and pretending to do something illegal isn't a crime. If it were my position to do so, I'd tell him to stop screwing around, maybe threaten to throw him out if he was being disruptive to the on duty employees.
                      That only means he can't be charged with a crime. He can still face consequences from his employer, and since he came close enough to helping himself to beer that a reasonable person might think he was about to, I say let him go. Like I said, you can't screw around when it comes to potential underage drinking. Plus he was in an area of the theater he wasn't supposed to be in anyway.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                        It's because of certain decisions the government made in the past regarding federal highway funds, and the pros and cons of that are for Fratching.
                        Good point, well made.

Rapscallion

Comment

He wasn't drinking beer, nor was he on the job. He probably shouldn't be fired for drinking beer while on the job. Put me down as confused as to why he was in an employee area of a place he doesn't work.

Comment

See, I personally think THAT's why he's being disciplined. He was in the employee area, and he was handling alcohol. Why he even told them he was an employee in another state is beyond me. He should have just pretended to be some joe off the street, and then at WORST, he'd have been ejected.
                            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth elsporko View Post
                              Put me down as confused as to why he was in an employee area of a place he doesn't work.
                              That alone is something that can get a person in a lot of trouble. Most companies' insurance policies only cover employees when they're on the clock, and if they're in an employees-only area off the clock and get injured, the insurance won't cover it.

An incident like that happened at the home improvements store where I worked. I was working that day, and one of my friends that also worked there came in on his day off to talk to me. I was standing on one of the high shelf moving some merchandise around, and he came up the ladder and onto the shelf.

My department manager came by and saw him up there, and he had a fit! After he calmed down, he explained to us to why he had gotten so upset, the insurance regulations and all.
                              Sometimes life is altered.
                              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                              Uneasy with confrontation.
                              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                              X