X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just let me do my work! (long)

ok, so i need to rant, so apologies for length et al

i work in a call centre that does cold calling and signs people up for contracts. The contracts then go to our admin dept where they are checked and sent out to the company that we signed the customer up for. My job is to deal with the ones that come back from the companies for whatever reason, be it that we wrote something down wrong, a problem with a credit check etc.

I get to phone people up, fix whatever the problem is and resend the ammendment to the companies, its not the best job, its not the worst job, it pays, and I've got two people working under me in my dept so it looks good on my CV when I move onto better things.

So that is what I (and my department) is supposed to do. We have always helped out the admin team if they've been snowed under with work as priority one for the company is get as many contract signed and sent as possible (especially if it is a deadline day)

But now it's taking the piss, I've spent the last 3 weeks checking contracts, listening to the verbal contracts (we have to check the calls), typing them up into databases, filing etc, as have my workers. and now we are just fed up, our own work is just mounting up and mounting up. Boss is asking for department figures more and more often (Which are a whole other rant as we are trying to change database system so the figures are all over the place) which take a large amount of time to process, never mind that every return has to be logged and processed before we can talk to the customers.

It all means that I've had the piles of files on my desk grow larger and larger, and had less and less time to deal with them, meaning that i've all but ignored my own work, meaning its getting more and more daunting to start.

And when I finally do get to do some of my own work I'm phoning people who can barely remember signing with us which then gets interrupted with "we've got too much work, here, do this" and then when we are half way through the work they start to panic and demand a list of the contracts we've got as the number they've sent fromt he sales floor doesn't match what they've got on their desks, but them keeping track of what they've given us would "take too much time" rather than interrupting us every 10 mins.

I just want to get on with my job, is that so hard?

sorry for the rant, just wanted to get it out of my system ...
    "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
    Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

That's a huge problem where I work too. We're a tiny company and when someone is away at a trade show, another guy is on jury duty and the other lady is on vacation everyone else has to step in and cover for them.

Meaning our own work piles up and doesn't get done.

It's a rare week that we're fully staffed so this happens often.

And I know there's no talking to your bosses about it. I know they won't see it.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

At the hotel I work at now its completely the opposite problem. Most of the time I'm standing around twiddling my thumbs. On Friday we had SIX desk clerks on the clock. We have THREE computers.....three people set up shop on computers and didn't move away from them all day. I created a perch for myself on a stool they have behind the counter and talked to the other 2 desk clerks who didn't have a computer.

Once in a while we had a guest who only had a question that didn't require a computer and we helped them. Most of the day though was spent sitting on the stool talking. I tried to do some pillow/towel running when people called the desk for extra towels or pillows but the front desk manager was very firm that it is NOT my job and called housekeeping on the cell phone to have them do it.

As sad as this is, they are still hiring more desk clerks. Apparantly they are estimating we need 10 more. There are currently 12 on staff and we all get 40 hours plus overtime if we want it.
      "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
      X