X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no, we don't need a new copier

*not really sucky, just a bit odd*

As I was updating some files here in the church office, we received a phone call from "Susie" at OfficeMart asking if we were in need of a new copier - apparently they'd had one returned, and while I don't recall the exact details/reasons why, they were looking to donate the copier in question to an organization in need. I told her that we'd just recently gotten a new copier, and that offhand, I couldn't think of anyone who might need one at the moment.

Shortley afterwards, I receive a call from "Bertha" at OfficeMart, asking to speak to our pastor. Who happened to be meeting with someone at the time, and when I offered to take a message, she mentioned that someone else had called the church office previously, and the young lady whom they'd spoken to had said she thought we might be able to use a new copier. The "young lady" in question was me, and I definitely didn't say anything like that, so I'm not sure where/how information got mixed up.......it was just rather odd.

either that or they didn't want to take "no" for an answer
    which is why they called back to another number?

Comment

Well, the church office just has the one main number, and since we don't have caller I.D. on our phone system, I'm not sure if the OfficeMart people were calling from different numbers or no. What made this REALLY weird is that "Bertha" called a second time, and she didn't seem to have any recollection of having spoken to me earlier. Our pastor was running errands at the time, so I took a message, and when she got back, I told she might need to be the one to call and explain that we don't need a new copier........because I apparently wasn't getting through.

Comment

Is this a case where they 'donate' the copier contingent on you getting a contract with them for service & toner? It sounds to me like a sales scam.
        Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
          Is this a case where they 'donate' the copier contingent on you getting a contract with them for service & toner? It sounds to me like a sales scam.
          Seconded. Churches get targeted for the ink & toner scams quite often, be careful.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Volunteer organizations & charities too.
            Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Interesting point that there could be some sort of "catch" involved with this, as I honestly hadn't thought of that.......but it would explain why they called us twice after I'd explained to the first lady that we already had a copier. (Either that, or the second lady wasn't paying close attention to which businesses she called/what response she got)

Comment

Working...
              X