Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yaa for the Win!!! It will suck getting back in the groove but us types are use to over coming the small stuff. Enjoy your first day back.

Comment

• I just got caught up to speed. I got started thinking.

This story exists in a state of quantum flux for being, both how the legal system should and should not work.

He won with the facts being on his side. (how things should work)
      It took 15 months. I understand why the system is slow, and I am not sure how to fix it, but that is long. I wish we could find a way to get all of these type of cases down to 6 months or less, 12 with basic appeals, and 2 years if the supreme court gets involved.

Congratulations on the victory, not only for yourself but this is a win for all your brothers and sister in arms.
      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

• Good luck going back to work. I hope all goes well.

Comment

• I hope your first day back went well!

Comment

• Here's the story of my first day back.

I showed up to work and was buzzed in by the receptionist, and quickly shown to the manager of my new office.

He had a big stack of "New Hire" paperwork. Apparently they had NONE of my old personnel records anymore, so everything right down to the I-9 form has to be repeated.

They didn't have any of the usual stuff they'd have for a new employee, they don't have my e-mail account set up, or my logins for any of the computer systems my job requires (or even for the employee timesheet system), much less a computer or an office.

They really did seem to just be in a rush to get me on the clock ASAP, even if all I can do is sit at an empty desk (find someone who is not in the office today and sit at their desk) and fill out new-hire paperwork. From the sound of things, they won't have much for me to do for a while.

One thing that I'm concerned about is, that my official work location is the office I requested, which is about 25 minutes from my house. . .but the supervisor said they have no work for me at that office, and the only place they have work available is at another office. . .over an hour away from that office and an hour and a half from my home. So, at least 2 days a week I'll have to drive to work, then sign out a government car and drive an extra hour to another office to work that day, then drive back, clock out, and get in my car and drive home.

At least I'm on the clock for that, but it seems to be undermining the spirit of putting me at my choice of work location, but just dropping me in on an office could mean they really didn't have a need for another officer there.

My new boss is a chatty guy with a thick southern accent who says he's near retirement and is just trying to make it to retirement. One of the first things he asks me is "What IS your story anyway? It's something special, I know that, but what exactly happened?" I don't know if he just wanted my side of it, or if he wasn't being told much through the grapevine, but I told him a version of the story that covered the basics.

It's a small office, much smaller than my old one.

On the plus side, the central office for the agency is located in the same building as my new office. . .so if they are foot-dragging on my back pay, the office of the person who handles it is right down the hall from me. . .I have to walk past their office to even go to the restroom.

I'd make a much longer post, but I'm exhausted, after 17 days on National Guard duty and now a regular work-week, I'm feeling rather worn out. I'm certainly looking forward to the Memorial Day weekend.

Comment

• Oh dear I imagine settling back in is going to be fun.

Comment

• Quoth silverstaff View Post
                One thing that I'm concerned about is, that my official work location is the office I requested, which is about 25 minutes from my house. . .but the supervisor said they have no work for me at that office, and the only place they have work available is at another office. . .over an hour away from that office and an hour and a half from my home. So, at least 2 days a week I'll have to drive to work, then sign out a government car and drive an extra hour to another office to work that day, then drive back, clock out, and get in my car and drive home.

At least I'm on the clock for that, but it seems to be undermining the spirit of putting me at my choice of work location, but just dropping me in on an office could mean they really didn't have a need for another officer there.
                At least you get paid for the extra drive, so I wouldn't raise a stink about this just yet.

Comment

• To be honest, I don't think they are trying to undermine the spirit of giving you the choice of work location, especially since it's fairly obvious they rushed to get you back on duty after they realised they were just costing themselves money. I'm guessing that their original plan was to promote somebody to the job of the retiring employee, and you would be the replacement for the promoted employee.Since they rushed getting you back to work, they ended up with no actual work for you to do.

still, it could be worse- they could have tried to give you your old job back by stealth- as in, working under the guy who got you fired.

it's also worth noting that it shouldn't be a great surprise things are complicated reinstating you- they will have hired a replacement for your old job by now anyway, even if you were willing to work for the asshole that got you fired, and there was not necessarily a vacancy to put you in. Since they're paying for you to drive to the other office, then who really cares?

Comment

• Also, its probably complicated because they never had to do anything like this before. Having to figure out the strange paperwork while being rushed is never an easy adventure.
                    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

• Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                      Also, its probably complicated because they never had to do anything like this before. Having to figure out the strange paperwork while being rushed is never an easy adventure.
                      This makes sense. I'd give them some time and see how things go but do complain if things aren't working out to your satisfaction...

Comment

• I hope that first pay cheque with all the back pay helps to quell some of the unbelievable stress you have gone though in the past few months.
                        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

• Quoth Kiwi View Post
                          I hope that first pay cheque with all the back pay helps to quell some of the unbelievable stress you have gone though in the past few months.
                          I suspect the back pay will be paid out over time, not in a lump sum...

Comment

• On the paperwork side of things its to cover their butts. I work for a staffing company and if an employee has finished a contract and is placed some where else a month later they have to redo the paperwork. Its to make sure we have the most up to date information on addresses, deductions, and direct deposits. So they probably didn't lose your old forms they are just adding updated forms to it.

I wish you luck and while an hours drive would suck at least you get paid for it :-)

Comment

• Quoth Kiwi View Post
                              I hope that first pay cheque with all the back pay helps to quell some of the unbelievable stress you have gone though in the past few months.
                              The attorney for the state warned me when I signed the settlement that it would take them a bit before they could pay the back pay out, that it wouldn't be on the first paycheck and would probably take a few months.

On the plus side, the office I'm now in is also in the building that contains the payroll office for my agency, so if they are TOO slow about it, I can walk down the hall and talk to the people who process it.

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                              I suspect the back pay will be paid out over time, not in a lump sum...
                              The attorney indicated that it would be paid as a lump sum, it just wouldn't come on the first paycheck.

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                              Also, its probably complicated because they never had to do anything like this before. Having to figure out the strange paperwork while being rushed is never an easy adventure.
                              . . .and that's why I'm not immediately blowing the whistle about retalliation. I know my situation is rather unique, and they are having to find a way to wedge me in to the caseload, and that a situation like mine comes up less than once a decade (my boss implied he'd seen something at least similar early in his career, roughly 20 years ago).

Quoth sstabeler View Post
                              still, it could be worse- they could have tried to give you your old job back by stealth- as in, working under the guy who got you fired.

it's also worth noting that it shouldn't be a great surprise things are complicated reinstating you- they will have hired a replacement for your old job by now anyway, even if you were willing to work for the asshole that got you fired, and there was not necessarily a vacancy to put you in. Since they're paying for you to drive to the other office, then who really cares?
                              My settlement agreement with the state explicitly says I work in an office other than my former one, which means not under my old boss. It was a term of the settlement I was going to insist on, but they already offered up.

As for a replacement, remember that I'm an Officer of a law enforcement agency with roughly 800 officers spread across dozens of offices across my state. They get openings on a fairly steady basis, so while it may be a tad awkward to put an Officer into an office with no vacancy (like the settlement mandated), they get vacancies on a fairly steady basis as Officers transfer to other agencies (we have a fairly high attrition rate).

As for the paying me to drive, yeah, I figured out that the travel they want me to do will get me travel vouchers which should roughly give me a 20% pay increase. Essentially they are paying me 20% more because I'll have to be doing so much driving. Still sucks, but it'll do for now.

I'm formally getting sworn back in by a Judge tomorrow. I'm making sure to get good photos of it, my family and friends want a good pic of it as a sort of trophy of my victory in this whole matter.

Comment

• Quoth silverstaff View Post
                                I'm formally getting sworn back in by a Judge tomorrow. I'm making sure to get good photos of it, my family and friends want a good pic of it as a sort of trophy of my victory in this whole matter.
                                My VERY evil twin would mail a copy of said photo to your old boss along with a marked up/redacted copy of that lump sum paycheck along with a snarky note saying (insert Nelson voice here) HA HA

Yes I know that would not go over well but........ it is a fun thought
                                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                                X