What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
    I'm zooming my way through them. I had two here for a while, but this box contains, if not the entire set, a large chunk of them.

I've reread Lords and Ladies and Reaper Man (Death is such a nice guy ) and am partway through Witches Abroad and have just started Guards! Guards!. Got a couple more waiting in the wings and then, of course, there are more in the box still in my storage unit.
    I've been reading a Discworld fanfic author by the name of A.A. Pessimal, who captures a lot of Pterry's style and has written a number of stories that explore the Assassins' Guild and its School. I'd recommend checking him out, and starting with the story "The Graduating Class."
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
      I've been reading a Discworld fanfic author by the name of A.A. Pessimal *snip*
      Which sites do you read on, please? Are they on AO3?
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• Quoth greek_jester View Post
        Which sites do you read on, please? Are they on AO3?
        I don't know, I found them on FanFiction.Net.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

• I recently bought Plato's "The Republic". It's short, so I'll probably read it soon.

I also have several other books I've been meaning to read, but haven't even taken a peek at. I still need to read "Leviathan" and "Frankenstein", along with a couple of other tech books I've been meaning to read.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• I am presently reading Island of the Lost: Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World by Joan Druett.

It is the real life story of two shipwrecks on Auckland Island south of New Zealand in the 1860s. A fascinating story of survival.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Finished off Max Barry's Lexicon last week. Interesting approach to the narrative, as it cuts back and forth between two different perspective characters, and it dawns on you as you go on that one character's section is set before the other's, but it tricks you about what's happening when. This along with an interesting look at how language can be used to manipulate you, with a take on the Tower of Babel myth that I haven't seen since Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash.

I've now started reading Joe Hill's The Fireman, and I'm seeing a lot of his dad's influence in it. (Joe Hill is Stephen King's son.)

Comment

• Still going through my Discworld novels ... not in any particular order. Currently in the middle of Hogfather.
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• I got two Hitchcock compilations yesterday. I do love the stories in his collections. One of them is particularly good, because it contains two stories from my past - Alexander Woollcott's Moonlight Sonata, and Midnight Express by Alfred Noyes. The second story is one I read years ago, and I'd forgotten the title and author, as well as the ending. It's very much like a Twilight Zone episode.

Comment

• I'm in the middle of "Thinking Small, the Long Strange Trip of the Volkswagen Beetle". Pretty good read so far, with biographical background on several people who were important to the development and early production of the car. So far, though, it downplays the contributions of Ganz and Jaray to the early designs. Hopefully the latter at least will come out when they talk about the Tatra lawsuit.
                    ā€œThere are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year oldā€™s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Rereading "The man who mistook his wife for a hat", by Oliver Sacks. (It got culled as a dupe from the store). J2KW mentions Max Barry - a while ago I saw the Minecraft book he wrote. Narrative has someone dropped into the MC world, specifically with the worst possible start (ocean seed, meaning you start on (or near :-( ) an island with very few resources) and no prior knowledge of the game. Surprisingly readable....

Comment

• I read that one with my son. I personally thought it was pretty preachy, which surprised me. There's another official Minecraft novel out but my son just read that one himself.
                        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• Still working on the Discworld novels but have also just started "419" by Will Ferguson.
                          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• The Merlin Trilogy by Mary Stewart. It's a re-read, but I love it
                            My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

• I have started reading The Last Days of New Paris by China MiĆ©ville.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Right now, I'm reading a well-worn copy of The Complete Official MGB, 1962-74 by Robert Bentley. Yep, I'm messing about with the car again.
                                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                                X