What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Seanette View Post
    It would probably be in poor taste to be holding a copy of "The Stand" in the breakroom, wouldn't it?
    Depends on what you want people to think about you ...

I have a medieval murder series by Susanna Gregory. It's set in Cambridge and centres around Matthew Bartholomew, a young physician (who also teaches at the fledgling Cambridge University) who has some unorthodox ideas (like: the correlation between dirt and disease, learned from his time in Paris when he was taught by an Arab physician); and Brother Michael, a Benedictine monk whose main hobbies are eating. And eating. And food. Yes, Matthew has warned Michael about his overeating, and yes, it's going in one ear and out the other .... Michael is seen very often in the book, but Matthew is definitely the main character.

And the book I just finished re-reading is called A Plague on Both Your Houses, and it is set in 1348, as the Black Death sweeps into Cambridge, and then devastates the population.

I had it at work a couple of times but I don't think anybody was paying much attention. Either that, or they just didn't want to know.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Sounded interesting enough that I was willing to spend a dollar on the Kindle edition.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Quoth Seanette View Post
        Sounded interesting enough that I was willing to spend a dollar on the Kindle edition.
        The Susanna Gregory novel?

They're quite good. I've always preferred historical mysteries where you can't just "send it to the lab" or use electronics; the characters have to solve the mystery by processing all the information they've learned.

I hope you like it.
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Currently quarantined at home, so been crocheting and listening to audio books. Just started Kevin Mitnick's " Ghost in the Wires" - its an account of one of the most well-known "phone phreaks" and early internet hackers. Its been an enjoyable listen so far.
          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

• Two very good historical mystery series are:

Twenty novels feature Marcus Didius Falco, the laid-back Roman ‘informer’ who investigates crimes and acts as an often reluctant imperial agent. By Lindsey Davis.

The Sister Fidelma Mystery series, by Peter Tremayne, are set mainly in Ireland during the mid-seventh century AD
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• I've read many of the Falco novels; not so many of the Sister Fidelma novels, but I really like the historical basis for the latter ... the Celtic courts and the fact that women can be advocates. Also the fact that she's a Celt but her partner in many of these cases is a Saxon monk.

The Falco novels are a bit more lightweight, but I really like the main character. He's not a gritty rock-jawed hero, he's just a guy with a sharp mind who periodically gets his butt handed to him, but he also has a wonky sense of humour.
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• There's a new Murderbot novel coming out on May 5th. $14 for the ebook

https://www.amazon.com/Network-Effec...qid=1586662819
                There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

• I LOVE MURDERBOT!!

Don't have an e-reader. I may have to think about getting one...
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                    I LOVE MURDERBOT!!

Don't have an e-reader. I may have to think about getting one...
                    I really like my Kindle Paperwhite for reading novels. I prefer it over my phone or tablet.

Comment

• Reading Funny, You Don't Look Autistic by Michael McCreary, an autistic comedian. We suspect my older son is high- functioning on the spectrum, and my mom read this and recommended it. It's funny and heartfelt. While McCreary and my son are very different people, I do feel like he's giving me some insight into how my son possibly perceives things.
                      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• The Dresden Files. I have never read them before but now I felt like trying. I am at Turn Coat now.

Comment

• Quoth Mikkel View Post
                          The Dresden Files. I have never read them before but now I felt like trying. I am at Turn Coat now.
                          Oh man. You have Changes on the horizon.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• Love that series
                            My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

• Quoth Mikkel View Post
                              The Dresden Files. I have never read them before but now I felt like trying. I am at Turn Coat now.
                              New novel drops on July 14th, and then the next one on September 29th. No idea what Butcher is up to with the huge gap and then releasing two books almost at once.

Comment

• Maybe he was ill or had a family crisis?
                                My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X