This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to strangle someone

I'm building a website for the dance club my mom is part of (they do dance lessons and such).

I currently want to strangle everyone.

1) Everyone involved is over the age of 50 and knows nothing about the internet. One of them sent me some links she liked, including a menu she liked that was an animated image map on a site that looked right out of the 90s. I shot that down as nicely as possible, but her response seemed butthurt.

2) The host they're using sucks. Apparently they've been having problems - the person in charge has been trying to change contact info on it and not having ANY success. The website presents it as 'fill out this form and hit save'. I have no idea what the problem is, but apparently it won't save.

3) The person who made the previous site did some stupid stuff. Like instead of naming the front page 'index.html' like any reasonable person would do, put it in a folder with a long name and somehow set that as the home. I don't even know.

4) I'm currently sitting on hold waiting for a chat operator to tell me why I can't log into the ftp. According to their help files I should be using the correct info, but it's not working. The fact that I've been on hold for like 15 minutes makes me side-eye them like whoa. Why is the help SO busy?

5) Trying to download the files through their web interface results in an empty zip file. That's useful.

I really have no idea why they're still using this host, except that they're paid for the year. There's some other weirdness going on that I don't even want to touch. If I could just get this ftp stuff taken care of, I should be good for a while to get started.
    Last edited by Silvercat; 05-21-2014, 11:19 PM.
    Curiously Lydean - curious interests of a curious person.

I do believe they're using my old web host. Sooooooooo, so so much hate for that [ahem] WONDERFUL company.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Sometimes

Sometimes you have to burn it right down to the ground and start all over again.

Comment

I got it all working. But I'm still very much not impressed with the host. And the people I'm doing it for are seriously un-computer-savvy.

Comment

Quoth Silvercat View Post
          4) I'm currently sitting on hold waiting for a chat operator to tell me why I can't log into the ftp. According to their help files I should be using the correct info, but it's not working. The fact that I've been on hold for like 15 minutes makes me side-eye them like whoa. Why is the help SO busy?
          Well, when the help desk is one person in their basement spraying beer on the server every time it starts to overheat, whether they have a lot of complaints or not you're going to get long wait times for help.
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

All I can picture is you having to deal with this type of interaction:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/0itclb...mputer-therapy

:roll
            "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
            -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Fortunately, my mom isn't the problem. We actually work together pretty well - several years ago, I actually was her supervisor at a job for a few weeks (we needed some temp help and she was available).

But I'm hoping to get it done this week. Of course, since I haven't worked on it in like five days, that might not happen...

Comment

Working...
              X