This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not really a "customer", but......

....since I often have to help my mom with computer-related stuff, I have a question - is there a diplomatic way to tell her that it might not be a good idea to just unplug stuff on the computer?

This came up this morning because apparently the power strip (I think that's what it's called, anyhow) was making weird noises......like it was about to catch on fire, so my mom unplugged the computer. The thing is, she doesn't know that much about computers/the Internet, and I'm afraid that someday she's going to unplug something, not be able to remember where/what she did, and expect me to fix it.

"about to catch fire" is a good reason to yank a cable; but I do understand your problem.

If she's not colourblind, you could try using colourful labels, tape, or whatever else you can find that will do the job, and mark plugs and sockets with colour-matched marks. It won't stop her from randomly unplugging things, but it might help you train her to do her own re-plugging.

One method is to make her wait for tech support. "Sure Mum, I'd be happy to help you. The soonest I can make it is Tuesday - will you be able to be there? Oh, Tuesday doesn't suit you? Hmm... Thursday, but I'll only have two hours. I'll absolutely have to leave by nine, even if it's not finished. Or Saturday afternoon."

Make it inconvenient for her to get free tech support, and she'll either have to stop doing stupid things, find some other source of tech support, or wait until it's actually convenient for YOU to do the support.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Seconded Yanking the power strip plug was a very good idea. Have her toss that strip *immediately* if she has not yet done so, and replace it.

Note that many computers color-code the built-in ports on the motherboard to match the common cable colors that they attach to, except for USB ports. E.g., VGA cords usually have blue ends, DVI cables/port surrounds are usually both white, and many mobos have the appropriate port surrounded in blue, audio cables often color match, etc. It may be possible to do something like that if hers doesn't do that, or even just use numbers with matching flags.

If she can't easily handle this, one solution may be to photograph the back of the system (with nothing plugged in), as well as the business end of the cables in question, then drop it all into a one-page Word document/image with labels and arrows that indicate "this goes here."
      Last edited by EricKei; 08-19-2014, 06:31 PM. Reason: why the hell was there a space in there x.x
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Maybe color-code her hands and fingers?

"Mom, you need some tats."
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

If that power did not have a neon power light (and most do not no-a-days) that sound was not a good thing. Yanking the power bar was the right thing to do.

Comment

There are some good-to-high quality power strips out there that come with the plugs color-coded, and color stickers (or straps) to put on the cords. Maybe those would be useful to your situation also, especially if you need that new surge protector.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

The suggestions are very much appreciated! I probably should have mentioned that I live with my Mom so it's a little hard to avoid her when she wants/needs help with the computer. )

Comment

If she's color blind, use the tabs used to hold the bags of bread loafs shut. Write what the cord goes to on it. Of course, this only works if she isn't terribly blind.

I deal with elderly folk all the time and the biggest problem I get is 'I CANT SEE THIS!' or 'WHAT? i can't hear you!' when tsing with them.
                "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Working...
                X