Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of restaurants around here will take checks, but those who won't, have a sign on their door, and often state they won't take checks in their menus, and so on.
    Yet, some people manage to miss the hint.

Also, I don't think any fast food joints, even big corporate chain ones will take checks. As of bars... I don't know. The ones I go to won't have a problem with taking a check from a regular customer like, if the tab is big enough.
    Last edited by Samaliel; 05-28-2008, 02:52 PM.
    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

I haven't been in a restaurant/bar here in the US that has accepted a check in 10 years at least.

People need to realize that checks are an antiquated way to pay for something. Join the rest of us in the 21st century. Get a debit card for crying out loud.

Comment

I can't think of a single restaurant around here that still accepts checks, save for the dump truck stop I worked at, and I'm sure they have a blacklist the size of a phonebook of all of western Wisconsin.

Some gas stations still do, no bars do, I know that for a fact.......some stores at the mall do, some don't........

I only use checks to pay my rent and to pay my loans. That is all. My very first checks I ever got lasted me 2 years. I have only re-ordered checks once since I was 18.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I haven't used checks in a few years now. Rent and bills are transferred from my bank account. No loan running (might change in a few month). Hell, I haven't even ordered a checkbook for 3 years now.

Still, I'd rather use checks for purchases with one very expensive item, like if I bought a big flatscreen TV set, or a gaming console. Don't know why, though. In the end, it's pretty much the same.

And I once had to wait for almost half an hour while my check was being verified, at a store from a chain where I'd use checks quite often (no, you won't have me saying "all the time". I know better).
          "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
            And I once had to wait for almost half an hour while my check was being verified, at a store from a chain where I'd use checks quite often (no, you won't have me saying "all the time". I know better).
            And you didn't flip out and scream at the employees for lying, wasting your "valuable" time, and being rude to you?
            Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Am I the only one who smells scam here? I mean who uses a check to pay for something thats only a couple of pounds...?
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

No, I didn't. I was annoyed and, sure, I sighed a lot, in a way that might have been annoying to the staff, but I guess that either corporate policy had changed, or that this particular store might have a different policy for whatever reasons.

Some people behind me in the line seemed to be far more annoyed than I was, and I kept apologizing, saying that I didn't know they'd have to verify my check and that it would take so long, and that, had I known, I would have withdrawn some cash from the ATM before entering the store. (At that time, my card was only a withdrawal card)

Comment

A check is not legal tender. A check is a promissory note, a gentleman's agreement between the customer, the merchant, and the bank.

The note says 'I promise that if you take this piece of paper to the bank, the bank, knowing me and my good name, will give you money for it!'

NO ONE has to take a check if they don't want to, and the government does not say any one has to. No store is required to take them, and can refuse them at any time, for any reason (except discrimination on basis of race and so forth...)

Most places of business that still take checks have certain policies regarding checking with the bank that issued the check, or a company that does that sort of thing for them.

Heck, these days almost everyone uses check cards/debits to do most things. I use checks to pay bills...and my husband pays on line for most of his bills, so no checks there.

In the last six months I worked retail, I think only two people paid for merchandise with actual checks...
                  I no longer fear HELL.
                  I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Quoth Enjis View Post
                    A check is not legal tender. A check is a promissory note, a gentleman's agreement between the customer, the merchant, and the bank.
                    Darn, you beat me to it. That was an excellent statement about what cheques/checks really are.

I used to get customers who would make up something like "You HAVE to accept checks. IT'S THE LAW!" just to get their way when they wanted to use a check despite our clearly posted statement that we did not take them.
                    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Inconceivable according to dictionary.com means 'unimaginable, unthinkable, etc'... Isnt that what the context is? "Woah, that happened? Inconceivable!" EG" Whoah, that happened? I dont beleive it!"

I'm confused about this one...
                      Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                        Inconceivable according to dictionary.com means 'unimaginable, unthinkable, etc'... Isnt that what the context is? "Woah, that happened? Inconceivable!" EG" Whoah, that happened? I dont beleive it!"

I'm confused about this one...
                        "Inconceivable!" is a reference to a movie called The Princess Bride. In it, a character, Vizzini, uses the word over and over in situations in which the word should not be used. After Vizzini shouts, "INCONCEIVABLE!" a few times, another character, Inigo Montoya, responds with, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

You really should watch the movie or read the book, I highly recommend both. And you can tell how much I love the movie since those two lines are my siggy.
                        "...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?!" ~ Kalga

"DO NOT ENRAGE THE MIGHTY SKY DRAGON." ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth texasbelle5 View Post
                          People need to realize that checks are an antiquated way to pay for something. Join the rest of us in the 21st century. Get a debit card for crying out loud.
                          You know, that whole "get a debit card" line is really kind of presumptuous. Not every banking institution actually uses debit cards, even now.

But still, for most occasions, checks are just not appropriate, any more.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I opened my first checking account today, and they asked if I even wanted any paper checks, I said no

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
                              Me: Maybe, but we do not accept them.
                              SC: Unacceptable! Unacceptable!
                              [Kindergarten teacher voice] That's right. We don't accept checks. And another way to say that is that checks are un-accept-able. Very, very good. [claps hands]
                              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

The word 'unacceptable' along with the word 'ridiculous', when uttered from a customers mouth, results in an automatic shut-down of any sort of above-and-beyond customer service skills I possess.

After uttering those words, they get the BARE minimum of service from me required to keep my job.

Oh, and back in the day, I paid my bar TAB with a check at my regular hang out, but I can't imagine (even when checks were prevalent) attempting to pay for one drink with one!
                                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                                X