This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regular Psycho

So, we changed our menu. And when I say we change our menu, we changed it...A LOT. About half the menu has been scrapped as a lot of food was getting wasted, so we've trimmed it down to include only a few main meals and mainly snacky type meals like sandwiches. Well, we're a bar right? Our sales rely on alcohol, and we were losing money due to food not getting sold and thrown out.

So, I am working the floor, clearing some tables, when all I hear is:

SC: MANAGER! MANAGER! MANAGER!

I hear a co-worker very sheepishly say "He's over there." and points to me. Crap.

It's a regular customer. He's in all the time, and is normally very friendly towards the staff. I've chatted to him on a few occasions outside of work, and I was very surprised by this.

Now, I'm 22. But I don't look it. I constantly get asked for I.D everywhere I go (drinking age is 18) and once got refused a 15 rated movie (I know!!)

SC: You're not the manager! I know you're not the manager!
    Me: Um, yeah I am. I got made a manager a few months ago...
    SC: Is THIS your menu?

Thrusts new menu in my face.

Me: Yeah it is.
    SC: THIS is your menu?
    Me: Yeah, we've changed it recent....
    SC: I DO NOT LIKE IT!
    Me: Like I said, we've changed it becau...
    SC: WHY HAVE YOU CHANGED IT??
    Me: We've changed it because...
    SC: NO! THAT'S ENOUGH! I'M LEAVING! THE MANAGER WILL BE HEARING ABOUT THIS!

He put his hands up in the air and stormed off. A couple of co-workers burst out laughing. Like I said, he was a regular, a normally friendly regular, and it was just bizarre to see him act like this.

The main manager came in to relieve me. I told him which customer it was, and that he was a regular.

Manager: Ban him. He's fucked up big time.

Your manager told you to ban him?!?! I love your manager!!!

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
      Manager: Ban him. He's fucked up big time.
      Woohoo!
      That was unexpected. A Manager dealing with a SC in a negative fashion? Not giving him free food or changing the menu back or giving him 13 free bottles of booze? Fantastic.
      Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

customersruinmylife, you're always posting stories about how your management is banning people left and right and letting you give SC's a well-deserved piece of your mind.

I think I'm going to move to the UK (I'm assuming that's where you're at) and come to work with you.
        The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Wow.

Banned?

Wow.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
            customersruinmylife, you're always posting stories about how your management is banning people left and right and letting you give SC's a well-deserved piece of your mind.

I think I'm going to move to the UK (I'm assuming that's where you're at) and come to work with you.
            Save me a seat on that plane, I'm going, too!

CRML, I love your manager.
            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post

I think its a lot different in the UK, especially for businesses that are not part of chains. You can get away with A LOT more when you talk to SC's.

Basically, my manager does not believe that rude people deserve good service. If someone wants to complain and they are polite about it, then fine. We will help them in any way we can. If they are rude, well, they will basically be told to fuck off. We are human beings, not robots. So if someone is threatening and rude, they will get the reaction they deserve.

Comment

Psh, forget the UK. Gas is too high. I'm going to Canada!

Oh, I love you rmanager too. <3
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
                  Basically, my manager does not believe that rude people deserve good service. If someone wants to complain and they are polite about it, then fine. We will help them in any way we can. If they are rude, well, they will basically be told to fuck off. We are human beings, not robots. So if someone is threatening and rude, they will get the reaction they deserve.
                  Perhaps business owners in the UK also realize that, in addition to being disrespectful and a pain-in-the-ass, customers like this actually affect profit negatively.

How many studies have been done on how bad customers actually COST a store money in the long run?

My boss at the machine shop was of this way of thinking. He'd expect us to be professional and polite to a point, but when they crossed the line into verbal abuse, he'd take the phone and (more often than not) end up firing the customer. Then again, it was ALWAYS this type of customer (abusive) who were always the money-drainers who sent parts back ALL the time, claiming they were wrong when they weren't. It was a win-win for both us as emps AND the management to get rid of abusive, costly customers.

Granted, your guy wasn't abusive, but he clearly showed a propensity to lean that way in the future.
                  Last edited by Peppergirl; 05-31-2008, 09:21 PM.
                  "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                    Psh, forget the UK. Gas is too high.
                    And it's not high in the US? Granted, we're still not paying as much as they are, but still.... This is why I'm not going to have a car when I move to Scotland in a couple of years. Considering how much better they're public transportation is plus the fact you can fit the whole of the country in the state I live in with room left over, I won't need one! Not to mention that I don't want to be a danger to anyone over there, you know, with the driving on the wrong side and everything.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I also love your manager and his "don't take crap" attitude, but I wonder if he went too far this time? I mean, I wasn't there, but this customer didn't sound too bad and, as you mentioned, he's a regular who's normally decent to the staff.

People have bad days and sometimes act like idiots. I just don't feel this one incident of suck should have banned him, whereas you didn't ban the people, say, sliding furniture in front of the handicap stall to lock someone in because they thought it was funny. Just my two cents.
                      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                        Psh, forget the UK. Gas is too high. I'm going to Canada!

Oh, I love you rmanager too. <3
                        Gas is high, true, but I think they rely a LOT less on cars then we do. I have never been there, but I imagine things are often closer to one's home, and their public transport system kicks ass. (In my town, it takes me 3 busses and an hour to get to my job that is 5 mile/10 min drive away)
                        "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                          People have bad days and sometimes act like idiots. I just don't feel this one incident of suck should have banned him, whereas you didn't ban the people, say, sliding furniture in front of the handicap stall to lock someone in because they thought it was funny. Just my two cents.
                          I get the feeling that this isn't a lone incident, and the others probably just weren't general knowledge to CRML & Co-workers. The line "He's fucked up" sounds like a "Okay, I'm through putting up with that guy."
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post

Back then I wasn't a manager and didn't have any authority. Plus that was when I was working in the EVIL bar I moved to when I finished university, so it was completely different management.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                              I get the feeling that this isn't a lone incident, and the others probably just weren't general knowledge to CRML & Co-workers. The line "He's fucked up" sounds like a "Okay, I'm through putting up with that guy."
                              Agreed. I doubt that he would be banned over this one incident. There must have been problems with him in the past.
                              "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                              ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Working...
                              X