This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So pissed and depressed

So I've finally decided on my career path. My original plan of finding some menial cubical peon job and working my way up was blown to hell a decade ago so now just give me something that I can live with. So I've settled on Facilities Management. Hey, I've been a contractor in it for six years and I'm damn good at it so why not; I've got the experience and I kind of like the work. That's what I'm really looking for but I'd still jump at anything else that I see.

But then I see this one job. It's Facilities in my wife's company. A solid company, decent pay, benefits, location, steady hours, a future; plus I'm virtually guaranteed an interview because I've got an employee referral. I figure, okay, just give me the interview and I can sell myself. I re-vamp my resume to cover what they're looking for, and spend hours agonizingly re-writing my cover letter to cover their bullet points. Then I wait. The cover letter turned out to be a waste of time because they don't even accept one for the application, but no big deal, my resume still speaks for itself. But a week and a half has passed and nothing, no call, no email... I've lost out.

I've sent out hundreds of resumes and got nothing so I've become desensitized to it, but this one really hurt. You find the exact job you're looking for, one you're totally qualified for, and you don't even get to the first step. I can't stick with my current piece of shit job forever and remain sane but it looks like that's what I've got to figure out how to do.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Dude, it took me so long to hear back from my public television gig that when they finally called me, it took me a moment to figure out who was calling me and what they were talking about. And the cable company gig wasn't much better.

A week and a half?

Patience.

Comment

They probably have lots of resumes to go through. They will narrow it down then get back to you. Give them some time. Don't give up till you've heard they've hired someone for the position.

Comment

When we hired my replacement (I'm now supervising that person,) it took us two to three weeks to get back to some of the applicants.

Take a deep breath and relax. You haven't lost out on the job until you get a solid 'No' from the company.

Comment

In the corporate world such as where my DH works(finance), it can take 3-4 weeks to procure some because of not only the job market flooding desks with applicants, but the type of jobs he does are usually interviewed by CEO's and VP's and Directors, etc. They are already very busy.

Phone-only interviews/screenings are very common right now because they just don't have time to meet with everyone first.

Have you tried maybe a consulting firm? I don't know your specific job field but you did mention being a contractor... not sure if that meant office or construction.
          Last edited by FuzzyKitten99; 09-07-2011, 05:20 PM.
          "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

A coworker of mine took 3-4 weeks to hear back for an interview at my company after he applied. As long as the position is still available, and you are still currently employed, then I wouldn't stress too much at the lack of response. It takes time to get through the piles (especially the piles HR tends to get nowadays), and unless they need the position filled yesterday, they'll probably take their time in going through the applications and figuring out who fits best.

Comment

On 8/16, I took a test for a position with Immigration Services. I have been told: It will be 9/30 before I even know whether they want my RESUME and REFERENCES. It will likely be Halloween before I know whether they want to interview me. And Thanksgiving before I know whether they want to hire me.

No offense, dude, but . . . A week and a half? Pfffft.

Comment

Yeah, I guess I am being impatient. It's actually been three weeks since I sent in the app, just a week and a half since the submission deadline. I guess they could be flooded. I'm just beaten down from 10 years of resume sending with no response and this feels like the same thing.
                D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

I couldn't get a job working customer service at a company that my mom worked at because of their anti-nepotism policy.

(She worked at a different department than the customer service department.)

Could this be a factor since your wife works there?
                  Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Quoth Blade_Raver View Post
                    I couldn't get a job working customer service at a company that my mom worked at because of their anti-nepotism policy.
                    Could this be a factor since your wife works there?
                    I got an interview eon's ago and they told me that it would be allright because it's completely different departments, but they do recognize the potential for a problem. However, the HR department didn't say anything to that effect when my wife sent the referral in. So in conclusion, fucked if I know
                    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Comment

Quite honestly, I know the feeling. My husbands been trying to find a job in Atlanta for 9 months and only had one bite. It took a month before they called him, he had two phone interviews, and then they never bothered to talk to him again even when he called to ask a couple weeks later. Suddenly, about a month later, he got something in the mail saying he didn't get the job. He was perfect for that job. But we live in New Orleans. He told them that they didn't have to pay for relocation and they didn't care.

Employers have gotten unbelievably rude. They used to actually TELL you if you didn't get a job within at least a couple weeks. But then the economy crashed and suddenly they think they can be jerks and get away with it.

A couple weeks, don't worry about it.

Comment

noodge~
                        I take it you still haven't heard back?
                        I'm kinda in the same situation... except it isn't quite my dream job here... won't say more as it might id me.
                        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

No, haven't heard a peep. They had a few "would be an asset" things that I didn't want to lie about so I imagine they just ran my resume through a filter and rejected it without even reading it because I didn't have those things. Mental note: LIE!!!
                          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                            Employers have gotten unbelievably rude. They used to actually TELL you if you didn't get a job within at least a couple weeks. But then the economy crashed and suddenly they think they can be jerks and get away with it.
                            Even if they tell you that they'll let you know.

No, I'm not bitter. Why do you ask?
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                            X