Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not know about Salt Lake City, but here there is a program called The Good Samaritan Clinic that provides free health care and medicines for those who does not have insurance or the funds to pay for health care.

Comment

Start googling low income health clinics, low income housing...
      http://www.chc-ut.org/
      Big list here:http://bit.ly/oaix8a

Google search turns up this pile of locations: http://bit.ly/nhYeHk
      The Good Samaritan stated above is there.
      Go to a clinic and ask for a social worker. NOW. You are so weighted down with these issues you are too far in the dark to know where to go next. BTDT.
      Possible social worker group: http://bit.ly/nQiMFp

From Utah Medicaid Eligibility Page: http://bit.ly/mS490S
      Financial Eligibility Requirements
      Asset Standards
      Asset Limits
      People with assets above the limits are not eligible for Medicaid. The limits are:

* For one person - $2000 in countable assets
      * For two persons - $3000 in countable assets

Countable Assets
      Resources which are not exempt, (see below for a list of exempt assets), count when they are legally available to the Medicaid applicant. If not available, they are not countable. Countable resources include, but are not limited to, cash on hand, savings accounts, checking accounts, stocks, bonds, pension funds, real estate, and some vehicles.

Exempt Assets - Assets that do not count towards the limit.

* Home: The home and adjoining land do not count as an asset as long as the applicant lives in the home or if absent, intends to return to the home. If the home is exempt due to an intent to return, the client or representative must express the intent in writing.

* Life Insurance: If the total face value of all life insurance policies the client owns on the same person, when added together does not exceed $1500, these policies are an exempt resource. However, the face value of these policies are deducted from the $1500 funeral burial fund exemption.

If the total face value exceeds $1500, the cash surrender value is an available resource.

If the client does not have an irrevocable funeral plan valued at $1500 or more, then enough of the cash value of the life insurance policies can be applied to total $1500 for burial expenses. Any remaining cash value is counted as a resource. The cash surrender value includes dividends and interest.

Policy additions are amounts of insurance purchased with dividends, increasing the death benefit and cash value, and are also a countable resource.

Accumulations are dividends left in the custody of the company to accumulate interest like money in a bank account. They are not part of the value of the policy but are counted as an asset.

Money in the bank, up to $1500, can be put into an account specifically designated as funds set aside for burial. No interest accrued is counted. No funds can be withdrawn.
      * Burial space: Fully-paid burial plots, crypts, or mausoleums of any value do not count, for a client or immediate family members.

* Irrevocable Funeral Plan or Burial Trust: A prearranged burial trust held by a funeral home or bank does not count when the trust cannot be revoked. For deposits in a bank, there must be a trust document showing that the account is for burial and can only be paid to a specific mortuary. The interest earned on these trusts is also excluded. The portion of an irrevocable funeral plan or burial trust that exceeds $7000 after subtracting the value of fully paid burial spaces may be considered a transfer of assets. Exempt items from the $7000 limit include casket, marker, and vault.

* Vehicles: The value of a vehicle used for medical visits or for employment does not count. For all other vehicles, the equity value of each vehicle counts as a resource.

Income Standards
      The Medicaid program does not have an income limit. Instead, there is an income standard.

Qualified persons who have income equal to or less than the standard are eligible for Medicaid. When income is more than the standard, the person may choose to "spend down" to qualify for Medicaid. (Information on Spend Down Obligation is included later in this section.)

The income standard is for countable income, after deductions, (see Types of Income and Income Deductions). To calculate countable income, add Earned Income to Unearned income. Income eligibility standards for Medicaid vary, to determine your eligibility please contact Medicaid Information Line at (801) 538-6155. Toll-free, call 1-800-662-9651.

The income standard is higher for people 65 and over, or for those who are disabled, and have a countable income of $759 or less for one person and $1015 or less for two persons. Persons over 65 or who are disabled also receive a $20 income disregard per household.
      Types of Income

* Earned income such as wages
      * Unearned income such as Social Security benefits, pension benefits, gifts, inheritances, bank interest, and annuity income.

Income Deductions

* Earned Income - You are allowed a deduction of $65 plus 1/2 of your gross wages minus the initial $65.
      * Unearned Income - You are allowed a deduction of $20 per household for aged, blind, or disabled persons.
      * Medical Expenses - Deductions are allowed for three types of medical expenses:
      1. Premiums paid for health insurance;
      2. Medical services within three months of application not covered by any third party such as Medicare or private insurance; and
      3. The unpaid balances of medical bills that will not be covered by Medicaid, Medicare or private insurance.

Spend Down Obligation

* In Utah, the Medicaid program allows a spend-down process for people who qualify for Medicaid but whose income is more than the income standard. The spend-down obligation ("Spend-down") means the difference between a person's countable income and the Medicaid income standard.
      * Spend-down is figured each month based on income received or expected to be received. A Medicaid applicant is told if he or she has a spend-down and the amount. Whenever the amount changes, a notice is sent to clients, who have a spend-down to notify them of the new spend-down amount.
      * Spend-down is useful for persons whose medical expenses are greater than their spend-down amount. People who have a spend-down receive a form to complete each month before they can qualify for Medicaid.
      * People with a spend-down have two decisions to make each month concerning their spend-down. They mark their decisions on the spend-down form and turn it in to the Medicaid eligibility worker.
      * Clients must first decide whether they expect their medical bills to be more than their spend-down or less than their spend-down. If medical bills are expected to be more than the spend-down, the client continues to the second choice. If medical bills are expected to be less than the spend-down, the client should request that the Medicaid case be closed. Clients may reapply at any time.
      * If the client expects medical bills to be more than the spend-down, their second decision is which method to use to meet the spend-down. There are two choices:
      1. Cash: The client may pay the spend-down in cash to the State and immediately qualify for Medicaid. Medicaid pays for all covered services that month.
      2. Medical Bills: Medical bills, paid or unpaid, may be used instead of cash to meet the monthly spend-down. Once the medical bills total at least the spend-down amount, the spend-down obligation is met. The client is then eligible for Medicaid for that month, and Medicaid pays for all other covered services that month.

For persons enrolled in an HMO incurred bills cannot be used to meet the spend-down obligation. When unpaid medical bills are used to meet the spend down, the client is responsible to pay the provider.
      * People 65 and over or who are disabled pay no spend-down if their net countable income is at or below 100 percent of the federal poverty limit ($759 per month for an individual and $1015 per month for married persons) effective April 2002.

If their income exceeds this poverty limit, their net income will be compared to the current basic maintenance standard, and a spend-down will be calculated. Deductions for health insurance premiums and medical bills are allowed for this group.
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Honey, with this shit you got going on, you need to be the squeakiest wheel in the whole city. This is not a time to say "Fuckit". Although I'm getting close to that, on the 25th of October I'll be homeless. Homeless homeless.
        But I'm doing my damnedest to find shelter /transitional housing, any kind of help I can get. And I'm in a similar bracket: White female w/o Domestic Violence, no kids, not REALLY that disabled..(they're looking for special needs people). All those grants are specified for a group of people that I don't fit.
        What I do is call everyone I can think of, and I've found a list from a HUD printout. Even if the program says "Disabled" I still call. Because I don't know if they've changed, or if they might know someone else who can help. I'm being a squeaky wheel. And I won't stop. THIS IS SURVIVAL.
        Go to your local food bank. You may not NEED THE FOOD, but usually there are social workers or people with resources that can hook you up. Warning: there will be a lot of dead ends and leg work involved. Shiit, I had my self on a waiting list last week. Yesterday I was told I've been dropped because "our funding no longer covers your group" so that's one down the drain. But I'm not stopping.

So I'm using a vuvuzela to squeak and get somewhere. It's starting to work.
        Last edited by Der Cute; 09-13-2011, 08:49 PM. Reason: fix a sentence.
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Don't stop believing that it will get better..because it will.

Things look dark now, but I can tell you from experience that they will get better. I had to move my entire family to live in my mom's basement because I had failed at a job, and I felt like the worst thing around for doing it. Two kids, hubby and me..one room.

I know that it hurts to leave a dream, but you can have other dreams, and they will come true.

If you need anything, pm me. I will always be here to support you....
          Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

Comment

I'm sorry I haven't really PMed anyone, but thanks everyone for everything you've done.

Der Cute, I will call some of those places tomorrow. I hope your situation gets better. *hugs*

*hugs all of you*
            1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
            -----
            http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

I've been doing research for a poetry class, and I ran across a quote that seems appropriate:

"If you're going through hell, keep going." Winston Churchill
              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

At FoodLady's suggestion I'd like to offer some song lyrics by Hatebreed (who has mad songs filled with inspirational lyrics):
                From 'Not My Master':
                Just keep telling yourself
                This day is worth living
                This fight is worth fighting
                This hope is worth hoping
                What I walk away from is not my master
                Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Holy cow.

I think I have a job lead. It's an aide-type job with disabled kids.

!! I would <3 that job so so so SO much I can't even. Please pray/think good thoughts for me, so that I get it?
                  1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                  -----

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix
                    Holy cow.

!! I would <3 that job so so so SO much I can't even. Please pray/think good thoughts for me, so that I get it?
                    Omg! Good luck! Good thoughts for you! ^_^
                    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Break a leg!
                      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
                        - Isaiah 40:29-31

<hugs> Good luck with the lead. Never lose hope, I know it's hard, but you'll make it through. You have a lot of strength, and you are an amazing person. If you need anything PM me.

Comment

Quoth Grape The Cat View Post
                          He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. - Isaiah 40:29-31 <hugs> Good luck with the lead. Never lose hope, I know it's hard, but you'll make it through. You have a lot of strength, and you are an amazing person. If you need anything PM me.
                          Where's the LIKE button?
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                            Where's the LIKE button?
                            It's a really neat quote. I really like it.
                            -----

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
                              Holy cow.

Good thoughts, crossed fingers and general good vibrations coming your way from Canada. You can do a lot of good in that job and your painful experiences will make you a more empathetic, compassionate and caring listener for the kids and their families than many another person. It can be a difficult job at times, just to warn you, but you will be making your little bit of the world a much, much brighter place.

Please let us know how it goes! (And if the job part for whatever reason doesn't work out - can you volunteer a little bit?)

Edited to add - I forgot to mention, I really wanted to tell you I know how much the depression/anxiety/ADD mixture sucks. Been there, done that... I wasn't diagnosed with ADHD until I was 33, so the depression/anxiety was almost purely secondary, from a lifetime of randomly screwing up without understanding how or why, and luckily for me, treating the ADHD part gave me a huge boost in overcoming the rest. But it's a nasty mean tricky Hydra of a beast, and you deserve a million hugs for simply hanging in there. It's way harder than it looks to those on the outside.

Please PM me if I can help at all by sharing any of the things I've learned in my bumpy journey.... Oh, and by the way, I went back to school for a Psych degree and I'm job hunting in the disability-support and counselling fields myself - quite a ways from you or I'd share job leads too! I'm also volunteering with Girl Guides of Canada, as a group leader and as a consultant for other Guiders in my province who have girls with special needs in their groups. It's great to be able to transmute my pain into something useful for other people, and it's helping me heal. I wish you the best of luck finding your own niche
                              Last edited by Buglady; 09-30-2011, 05:09 AM. Reason: My own ADD! :)

Comment

Good to hear things are starting to look up - hope they continue to!

Comment

Working...
                                X