Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a new series to watch (again).

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new series to watch (again).

I'm wrapping up Star Trek Voyager in the next few weeks and I'm looking for a new series to watch.

I've seen and liked:
    Star Trek TNG, ENT, VOY (Wasn't crazy about DS9)
    Stargate SG:1, Atlantis, and Universe
    Buffy (Didn't like Angel too much)
    Firefly
    Heroes (I liked it in the beginning)
    Jericho (first season was awesome)
    Lost (ending sucked)
    Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (BBC - even though I'm not a big fan of BBC TV)

I like a storyline and character building (why I like SG:1 and Voyager so much) - it makes me want to continue watching as opposed to 9what will happen next week with the same everything (like Star Trek: TNG).

I've thought about Dr Who (and I would love to start at the very beginning), I remember watching some of the early ones (late 70's - I remember something like glowing moth people?) with my cousin and not understanding what was going on (I was young and immature then).

Any other suggestions?
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Have you seen MacGyver? >_>
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

*lol*

That made me think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1OvT...eature=related

(Don S. Davis (General Hammond) was also in an episode or two)

Never seen the series, though.
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Game of Thrones
        Battlestar Galactica (new)
        Torchwood
        Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
        Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
        Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

Comment

I'm currently watching the newer Doctor Who and I love it. So I'd say go for it. And if you remember the older Doctors I'd say watch them too. ^_^ I may just have to go back and watch the old Doctor Who now.
          Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
          Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Might be a little tough to find, but go for Babylon 5. The Executive Producer was none other than J. Michael Straczynski, one of the best storytellers when it comes to Sci-Fi and Fantasy.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Eureka
              Warehouse 13

I agree with Jericho. The second season only came about after a huge fan response and nuts being sent to the CBS offices. Sadly, the ratings slipped and it was officially cancelled with just the eight episodes.

I think with Doctor Who, you'll be kept busy for a while. Torchwood is a good choice too.
              Random conversation:
              Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
              DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth DaDairyDruid View Post
                Game of Thrones
                Battlestar Galactica (new)
                Torchwood
                I forgot to mention GoT - I love it. (And True Blood). Battlestar Galactica - I tried but could never get into it.

I haven't seen Torchwood.

.. another one I forgot to mention and liked (well, early on) was Sliders.

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
                I'm currently watching the newer Doctor Who and I love it. So I'd say go for it. And if you remember the older Doctors I'd say watch them too. ^_^ I may just have to go back and watch the old Doctor Who now.
                If I go with Doctor Who, I'll probably start from the beginning (wasn't the firs season in black & white?)

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                Might be a little tough to find, but go for Babylon 5. The Executive Producer was none other than J. Michael Straczynski, one of the best storytellers when it comes to Sci-Fi and Fantasy.
                Babylon 5 - I remember that, it came out around the same time as DS9 and was being advertised as an alternate to the "Utopia that Star Trek is"? It was after TNG and if I remember correctly, some Sta Trek people went to work on B5?
                Quote Dalesys:

Comment

wow. I'm really out of it to not have suggested B5. It is really amazing. The movies after the show however... Ranger series? Eh. Didn't watch.
                  B5 is a staple.
                  I hear Andromeda is good... but B5 was the first series I actually watched. Star Trek was just kinda on in the background of my childhood. Firefly was where I got my geek cred.
                  EDIT: I hear Doctor Who before the eighth doctor is difficult to get ahold of, even for Brits. B5 is definitely 'gritter,' but by no means like BSG 2003. o____o BSG 2003 is paranoid as crap. Could not watch because of that.
                  http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Babylon5
                  Last edited by teh_blumchenkinder; 09-04-2011, 04:09 PM.
                  "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                  "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic
                    Warehouse 13
                    QFT. I really need to catch up.
                    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Definately watch Babylon 5. Series started to slip after Season 3, however. Season 5's ending was weak. Don't bother with the Ranger series; it was not very good.

Seasons 1 starts slow, but by the end you will be hooked. Seasons 2 and 3 will blow your mind.

I'd also suggest Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess. Both get a bit campy and the special effects are rather corny (esp Herc 1) at times, esp season 1 of both series (Xena is a spin off), but both have great story telling and likable characters who you will root for. Music is good too, I have the scores for all of them. Xena lost steam after season 4, but I rather liked the movie special that wrapped the series up.

I'd also suggest Supernatural. Great story telling, good acting.

If you like cartoons, Avatar: the Last Airbender rocks. Was far, far better than the movie.

Try Smallville if you liked Heroes. Nice retelling of Superman's teenage/young adult years. He doesn't put on the cape until the very last episode of the series, which just wrapped up last May after 10 seasons. Smallville's Lex Luthor is the best writing of the character EVER.

Or you could try the older series (1990's) Lois and Clark (a much younger Terry Hatcher as Lois Lane).

If you liked Buffy, you might like Charmed (especially if you like Alyssa Milano)

A word of caution if you are considering starting Doctor Who at the beginning. The very first episodes are black and white, and the special effects very crude. It carries on its superior story telling. Episodes of the first 3 Doctors can be hard to find, and quality may be poor. BBC didn't keep them or kept them poorly.

If you start with the Tom Baker Doctor, you should be able to watch pretty much straight through to the cancellation of the series. Some fans don't care for Peter Davidson's or Colin Baker's Doctors . . . but Davidson was my favorite Doctor until Matt Smith (who is now my favorite). Colin Baker did a better job than some give him credit for IMHO. Given that the original series went on for 25 years, that's enough episodes to keep you pretty well occupied

Two other BBC series you might like: Red Dwarf and Blackadder.

Season 2 of Blackadder is the best. Each season is very different from the others since each seasons features a reincarnation of the title character trying to take the throne of England (Season 4 sucked though). The Blackadder Christmas special should not be missed.

Red Dwarf is a sci fi series, comedy, about the last living human being.
                      Last edited by Sapphire Silk; 09-04-2011, 04:53 PM.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                        Eureka
                        Warehouse 13

I agree with Jericho. The second season only came about after a huge fan response and nuts being sent to the CBS offices. Sadly, the ratings slipped and it was officially cancelled with just the eight episodes.

I think with Doctor Who, you'll be kept busy for a while. Torchwood is a good choice too.
                        I've watched Eureka since day one and it saddens me to know it's ending (although the obvious sellout a few seasons back was HORRIBLE).

I still catch Warehouse 13 once in a while.

Quoth Panacea View Post
                        I'd also suggest Supernatural. Great story telling, good acting.
                        I think I remember that but never watched it.

Try Smallville if you liked Heroes. Nice retelling of Superman's teenage/young adult years. He doesn't put on the cape until the very last episode of the series, which just wrapped up last May after 10 seasons. Smallville's Lex Luthor is the best writing of the character EVER.

Or you could try the older series (1990's) Lois and Clark (a much younger Terry Hatcher as Lois Lane).
                        I tried both of those when they were new - I couldn't really get into them.

A word of caution if you are considering starting Doctor Who at the beginning. The very first episodes are black and white, and the special effects very crude. It carries on its superior story telling. Episodes of the first 3 Doctors can be hard to find, and quality may be poor. BBC didn't keep them or kept them poorly.

If you start with the Tom Baker Doctor, you should be able to watch pretty much straight through to the cancellation of the series. Some fans don't care for Peter Davidson's or Colin Baker's Doctors . . . but Davidson was my favorite Doctor until Matt Smith (who is now my favorite). Colin Baker did a better job than some give him credit for IMHO. Given that the original series went on for 25 years, that's enough episodes to keep you pretty well occupied
                        I don't mind low end effects and I look t it that they need to spend more time making the actual show and storyline and not effects. Blockbuster has Dr. Who and the Daleks starring Peter Cushing (1965?). I am willing to bet that this is a post-series movie?

Two other BBC series you might like: Red Dwarf and Blackadder.
                        I tried Red Dwarf and couldn't get though the first few episodes.

Edit: I'm seeing a lot of Dr Who that look like they're from the 80's but ti's ot a series, more like a series of movies?
                        Last edited by draggar; 09-04-2011, 05:07 PM.
                        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

The Walking Dead (AMC)
                          Life on Mars (UK) and Ashes to Ashes
                          Robin Hood (BBC from a few years back)

the "old school" Doctor Who ran as a 30 min serial with 4-6 episode story arcs usually shown as "mini movies" in the US when they were on PBS.

And you really should watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic...

Don't Judge Me!
                          Last edited by DaDairyDruid; 09-04-2011, 05:35 PM.
                          Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
                          Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
                          Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

Comment

If you have Netflix, all of the new Dr. Who (except for the current season) is available to stream. The old seasons are released as single DVDs because they weren't seasons like we know them now, but short arcs.

I'm really into Mad Men, but that's probably because I know a lot about the ad agency world and it fascinates me to see the 60s.

Comment

Quoth DaDairyDruid View Post

And you really should watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic...

Don't Judge Me!
                              Too late!

ETA: Also keep in mind not all the Doctor Who episodes are on DVD. I think there are some missing episodes from the Troughton era. I think there was a project a few years back to try and remake the lost episodes.
                              Last edited by fma_fanatic; 09-04-2011, 09:41 PM.
                              Random conversation:
                              Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                              DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X