Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a new series to watch (again).

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burn Notice. I started watching it a few months ago and I'm hooked. Netflix has Seasons 1-4 and you can catch Season 5 (the current season) on USA.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Hm. I liked DS9. It wasn't utopian, and sometimes when an episode ended things were actually worse than when it started. Much more realistic, to my mind. Ah, well.

How about Andromeda? Nothing like Keith Hamilton Cobb in a mesh muscle shirt....

Erm, anyway, not too bad a series.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
        I don't mind low end effects and I look t it that they need to spend more time making the actual show and storyline and not effects. Blockbuster has Dr. Who and the Daleks starring Peter Cushing (1965?). I am willing to bet that this is a post-series movie?

I tried Red Dwarf and couldn't get though the first few episodes.

Edit: I'm seeing a lot of Dr Who that look like they're from the 80's but ti's ot a series, more like a series of movies?
        Red Dwarf is one of those love it or hate it shows.

Original Dr Who episodes were in multiple parts. Someone mentioned original airings were 30 min. In the US, the only place to watch it was PBS in many places. PBS would pull all the parts into one long episode, often running 2 hours or more.

The first Tom Baker episode was like that. My PBS station ran it late at night, so the first episode I watched, while I loved it, was way too long for me and I avoided the show for a long time after that until they started airing it in 1 hour blocks at a reasonable hour. Then I was hooked.

The older episodes, where available are usually like that. Several episodes put back into a single video marketed as a movie.

Here's another show you might like: Le Femme Nikita. Despite the French title, it is an American show. It was very good. It was based off a French movie of the same name that Bridgett Fonda remake as "No Way Out." CW is running a new series loosely based on it called simply Nikita. I liked them both.

As for Smallville, I didn't really get into it until Season 2 myself (before that I watched only because a friend did).
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I am one of those that wishes I could watch Dr. Who from the very first episode on, but it is impossible to do that, there are episodes and whole seasons that just do not exist anymore. Part of it is because the BBC didn't realize exactly how much of a treasure Dr. Who was going to be, and they re-taped over a lot of the film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_...ssing_episodes

Comment

I"m in the process of watching Voyager now! I"m at the end of season 5. But I haven't watched all the star trek ones yet. I've done TOS, Enterprise and now Voyager. Still need to watch TNG and DS9.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Hm. I liked DS9. It wasn't utopian, and sometimes when an episode ended things were actually worse than when it started. Much more realistic, to my mind. Ah, well.
              It was as utopian as the other series (maybe except Enterprise). Yeah, you had the Dominion and the Kardassians but it's pretty much the same as TNG and VOY,

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
              I"m in the process of watching Voyager now! I"m at the end of season 5. But I haven't watched all the star trek ones yet. I've done TOS, Enterprise and now Voyager. Still need to watch TNG and DS9.
              VOY still has some us and downs but overall good. TNG is good for a series that you don't need to sit down from the beginning to watch (assuming you know the basics of Star Trek).
              Quote Dalesys:
              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                assuming you know the basics of Star Trek.
                To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life forms and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before!

I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Three pages and no one mentions farscape?

Starring Ben Browder and Claudia Black with makeup and puppets by jim henson. all 4 seasons on netflix. it is one of the best scifi shows i ever saw.
                  Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                  Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I never could get into Farscape, and I tried and tried.

I do love Claudia Black though. She was awesome on Stargate SG 1
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                      To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life forms and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before!

That would be it!
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I'll throw another vote in for Supernatural. Great show for the most part. It slips a bit in season 4 ( Not terrible per say, just wanders really far off course both story and character wise ), but I haven't started on season 5 yet. I don't see how it can recover though =/

Battlestar Galactica requires some patience honestly. It took a few episodes for it to grow on me ( and for the show itself to hit its stride ) as it takes more than a few episodes to really grasp the characters and relationships. Due to the complexity of it. It's also a really heavy show at times. Draining to watch because there's always someone suffering miserably from something. Great space battles though ( Any show where the space battles use Newtonian physics instead of "airplanes in space" is a plus in my book ).

Babylon 5....ehhh...lot of people rave about it, but it doesn't hold up that well to be honest. The campiness overtakes the drama of the story too often. It can be fun to watch but I found it hard to really get sucked into it and was never in any hurry to pop the next DVD in. The actors having fun with it is what makes it fun though.

DS9 takes a while to get going, but I remember it being pretty good with all the drama, politics and war going on.

I keep meaning to get around to Farscape ( For Claudia Black is nothing else. ) but the dvd's cost a fortune for some reason.

Looking for other stuff to watch myself, really. >.>

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                          I never could get into Farscape, and I tried and tried.

I do love Claudia Black though. She was awesome on Stargate SG 1
                          ... Black may have done a good job on SG1... but damn I couldn't watch anything with her in it. Maybe the show had finally jumped the shark (difficult in sci-fi, SG especially), maybe it was her character... but damn.
                          I need to do fanfic re-writing seasons 8-10.
                          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

The new season of Sons of Anarchy starts in the US tonight doesn't it? Awesome show.

Comment

Other shows that I definitely give a big thumbs up for, Burn Notice, Dexter, and Breaking Bad

Comment

Quoth Dasota View Post
                                Other shows that I definitely give a big thumbs up for, Burn Notice, Dexter, and Breaking Bad
                                seconded. Three brilliant shows.

Comment

Working...
                                X