Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a new series to watch (again).

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dexter rocks, but is not for the faint of heart, esp the unedited version.

Here's another great show: The Tudors. Great retelling of Henry VIII's reign.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Terra Nova anyone?
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
        Terra Nova anyone?
        Haven't seen it. Would be more interested if they'd done an adaptation of Heinlein's Tunnel in the Sky.

Going into the past is more like Jurassic Park Light.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Merlin (BBC series) and Legend of the Seeker are both great shows.

Comment

I'm currently (slowly) working on the 70's series "UFO". It can be a bit dry at times but the more mature storylines make the show interesting to me.

After this, I have to either start "1999" or finish season 2 of "The Invaders"... or start "Max Headroom", which I picked up cheap...
            "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Falling Skies was pretty good as well.
              Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
              Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
              Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

Comment

Quoth DaDairyDruid View Post
                Falling Skies was pretty good as well.
                Gah. Falling Skies sucks. Bad writing and bad acting.

I'm sorry . . . if you decide to leave the safety of the militia that has been protecting you and then steal food and narcotics from the company physician to sell on the black market as you flee the safety of the group, and they hunt you down to get them back, they do not just let you walk away after you have just shot at them for coming to get their property back. They fuckin' KILL YOU.

If you kidnap some of the militia trying to fight back against the aliens, and hold them hostage to extort a 50mm gun and ammo, they fuckin' KILL YOU. They don't take you prisoner and THEN find out if you have something to offer, and they certainly don't let you near explosives.

Awful, awful, awful series.

Comment

Sanctuary is pretty good. I saw someone mention the original UK version of Life on Mars...LOVED it. I still need to find Ashes to Ashes on DVD...better check Netflix again. Another good UK sci-fi series IMO is Primeval...I hope we get some new episodes coming out soon.
                  "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Primeval was good, but I heard the last series of it was not so good. (the one with Dr Bashir.)

I caught Ashes to Ashes when they showed the first 2 series on BBCA. They never showed the 3rd series
                    Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
                    Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
                    Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

Comment

You can get at least a list of the older Doctor Who shows at Crossing the whoniverse, I think you can watch some of them there, too.

I don't know if I'd start Torchwood without watching the first season of the New Who, you'll be very, very confused about Jack without the background. Bonus, though, you can start with the new series of Doctor Who without a lot of background so might be worth it to catch that if you're having trouble finding the originals. For the love of god, though, start with Torchwood Season 1 and maybe consider waiting on Miracle Day for a while. . . maybe forever.

I second Dexter and Burn Notice. I liked The Tudors but it's not something I can put on as background noise so I haven't gotten through it as fast as the others.
                      "I'm starting to see a pattern in the men I date" - Miss Piggy, Muppet Treasure Island

I'm writing!! Check out the blog.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                        Season 2 of Blackadder is the best. Each season is very different from the others since each seasons features a reincarnation of the title character trying to take the throne of England (Season 4 sucked though). The Blackadder Christmas special should not be missed.
                        one of my favourite scenes was Hugh Laurie in drag (Major Star). Coupled with "I FEEL FAN-TAST-IC" and you really do have to wonder if they didn't try and shoot a double-entendre in there

Flashheart, Melchett and Darling were classics.

Quoth gremcint View Post
                        Three pages and no one mentions farscape?

Starring Ben Browder and Claudia Black with makeup and puppets by jim henson. all 4 seasons on netflix. it is one of the best scifi shows i ever saw.
                        Seconded. For those in Ausland who watch/ed Rescue Special Ops and saw Gigi Edgley, she had her breakout role I think in this series playing Chiana (although I was annoyed at how they handled her character), and Magda Szubanski also makes an appearance (she's Sharon on Kath and Kim-the GOOD one) Also for anyone who likes the Mole or the Amazing Race, keep an eye out in one of the first season eppys for Grant Bowler in bright red makeup.
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I'll second Burn Notice its a very well done show.

As for Legend of the Seeker IMO if you read the books its based on then it will make you cringe.

A fewBBC shows I've really enjoyed is MI5 which in the USA is called Spooks, you can watch most of it streaming on netflix.

Sherlock by Steven Moffat is really well done. There are only a few episodes of it available on Netflix but I really enjoyed it.

There is also the more recent BBC production of Robin Hood which was really good in its first two seasons right up until the end of Season 2 and then it committed series suicide. Again available in its entirety on netflix.
                          Last edited by Chanlin; 09-15-2011, 11:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Oh. Another show I enjoyed was Pushing Daisies. Though it was canceled after 2 seasons so the end of the second is brought to an odd stop. They kinda jumped the shark the last few episodes (my ex, while we were watching, commented that you can tell they were canceled and were trying to wrap everything up suddenly).
                            Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                            Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                              There is also the more recent BBC production of Robin Hood which was really good in its first two seasons right up until the end of Season 2 and then it committed series suicide. Again available in its entirety on netflix.
                              I enjoyed that show as well, and I have to concur about the last season...
                              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

I was about to say no love for Firefly, but there it is on your list.

Firefly kinda ruined me for most other scifi though. Until I got back into Who.

Comment

Working...
                                X