X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Mytical View Post
    Three words. 8 track player.
    man I remember my dad's truck with the 8 track player in it... it would switch tracks right in the middle of songs...

Hot damn do I feel old now, thanks Mytical.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
      You really want your mind blown, tell some kid you had the original to some remake on vinyl.
      My son's daycare had some vinyl records, and I mentioned to one of the teachers that that's probably the only place they'll ever see those. She told me she held one up and asked if anyone knew what it was. One of the kids said, "A big CD!"

Quoth draggar View Post
      Sad but true - but nothing new. People think Quiet Riot's "Cum on Feel the Noize" is the original.
      I used to think that Judas Priest's "Diamonds and Rust" was the original.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I was Hobson's choice for karaoke DJ last night at the pool.
        Onedowned kids: Pearl Jam did not originate "Last Kiss".
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth laborcat View Post
          man I remember my dad's truck with the 8 track player in it... it would switch tracks right in the middle of songs...

Hot damn do I feel old now, thanks Mytical.
          I had a 74 opel sedan with an 8 track player mounted under the dash, and an am only radio in the dash. Drove one of our exroomies nuts the first time he needed to borrow a car while his car was in the shop. The car was10 years older than he is

I sort of wish I hadn't sold it to a buddy who is into restoring cars, I miss the silly thing. Just before I sold it I had been talking to an underwriter friend who said that there were fewer than 700 still legally registered [and presumably running] in the country.
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Yeah, my own husband thought Metallica was covering a Thin Lizzy song when they did Whiskey In The Jar.

I see your Eight Track and raise you a reel to reel.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
              I see your Eight Track and raise you a reel to reel.
              Like this?

Just needs a bit of work, and I'll be able to put my small collection of r2r tapes to good use.
              -Adam
              Goofy music!
              Old tech junk!

Comment

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Comment

*stares at reel to reel*

Pretty. (I'm a bit of a recording geek.)
                  1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                  -----
                  http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

My dad had a reel to reel...I can only remember him bringing it out a few times, though, and I don't remember what he had recorded.

We also had slides and I think we had a projector at one time...I say "I think" because I am not sure we took a lot of 35mm photos/slides. We tended to have small crappy cameras that took 110 film.
                    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                      For antique music media, I have a small collection of 19th century music box discs, and the music box. Here is Silent Night, one of which is inmy collection.
                      My stepmom has one of these! When I first saw it I asked her if it was a record for blind people with all the bumps on it. We always play it for Christmas. Still has a great sound!
                      Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Well RK, I can honestly say I never had a reel to reel. My mom did have one of these though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonograph. Wish it was still around.
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Every so often the younger ones at work will make me feel old...here's a few of the situations:

- When I told one girl my high school didn't have computers in every classroom until my Junior year (we had two computer labs, and a couple teachers had one for themselves in their rooms)

- I learned to drive a five speed and they can't figure out why there is a third pedal on some cars.

- I was talking to a coworker and mentioned "The Original Series" of Star Trek....he asked "The one with Data and Worf on it?" I about hit him.

- Jokingly I asked at work "What do you think of when I say Alabama, Kansas, Boston and Chicago?" some coworkers said "Those are all places in the US", completely oblivious that those are four well-known bands. One of the more senior members (who grew up in the 70s) chimed in "and some damn good music as well"
                          Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            For antique music media, I have a small collection of 19th century music box discs, and the music box. Here is Silent Night, one of which is inmy collection.
                            I want one. O_O How cool is that?
                            Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                            X