This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Not a Difficult Concept

I'm posting this here, because while this occured at work, we were not the objects of suckiness. The woman was lovely to us, just horrid to a phone operator. If it needs to be moved, obviously the mods will make that call for me and move me accordingly!

Anywho, Lady comes in, and is having phone issues. I don't hear the beginning of her problem, as I am with other cusotmers, and my coworker, Tech, is helping her. After I am through, I notice she has decided to upgrade to a newer model phone, so he is helping her get set up with that. He gets her activated, and she hands him a credit card to pay. He runs the card, and it is declined. She is confused, and asks can she call the company on one of our phones? She asks for our help since she just got back from an eye doctor's appointment, and they dilated her eyes. So we help her dial, then enter her credit card number when the prompts ask. She gets through to a person. The person asks her to verify some information, which the lady does. Once the person says their "How can I help you?" greeting, it got sucky.

Lady: "I am at a STORE and my card was DECLINED and I want to know WHY?"

The person taps at their computer, then finds the problem. A fraud alert had been put on the account. These are usually done AUTOMATICALLY, especially if you've used your card a lot in one day. They protect you if your card is stolen. Well this lady didn't get it and started wigging out.

Lady: "Whattdyou MEAN a fraud alert? I didn't put a fraud alert on there?" Operator starts to talk, lady interupts - "No I want to know WHO did that? WHO would do it? Huh? HelloHelloHelloHello???"

She didn't pause more than a second waiting for a response. She then realizes she's been cut off. Now I don't know if the lady hung up on her or if there was a system glitch or what, but if they did hang up on her, I don't blame them. They were trying to calmly help her, but she was yapping over them like a crazed chicken.

Lady calls back, and informs the new operator: "I want to know WHO put a fraud alert on my account, and I want you to know that the last woman HUNG UP ON ME!"

Ugh. So the operator tries to tell her that she needs to put her through to a specialized department to deal with her issue and get the alert removed. Too bad Lady is yapping over her too. Takes five minutes to get her to understand she's being transferred. Then once she is, she informs THAT person: "I sent you people a check for $1300 last month, and the first person I spoke to today HUNG UP ON ME and I want to know if I need to cancel this card! WHO put a fraud alert on my account????"

The operator is trying to explain the fraud alert concept and she just yells over her "Oh I don't understand you. Here!" She shoves the phone at my co-worker, who translates for her. FINALLY she gets it.

Turns out, Lady's daughter has a card on this account as well. Lady was at Office Depot, making a purchase at the same time her daughter was at a Hardee's having lunch. They ran their cards either at the same time, or close together, putting an alert on the account. The operator removed the alert after confirming Lady was herself.

"Tell me THIS," Lady demands. "Are they gonna do this to me over the holiday season? When I'm trying to SHOP and spend money and use their card? This is NOT good business practice. I might just use another card. No other employee would be as nice as you."

Nice compliment for my co-worker. But still. UGH. Okay, the reason why I know what the operators were saying? She had it on speakerphone the whole time. Seriously! I can understand not knowing about how credit cards work and all, but don't YELL over people who are trying to help you. I wouldn't doubt if the first lady hung up on her on purpose. I just HATE people who cannot wait their turn to talk. She was at least fifty or sixy years old, but she reminded me of my friend's eight-year-old. Too impatient to wait and listen, just wants to yell over everybody.
    I may be free from retail, but the nightmares still linger.....

No only that, but she was just embarassing herself in public, which makes her look a lot more dumb than having her credit card declined.
    "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Oh and I forgot the best part of this story. Remember how she asked us to help her dial since she couldn't see? She'd had her eyes dialted at the eye doctor's office.

After she left, she got into her car...and DROVE. Now I can understand not having anyone to drive her to the appointment, but for the love of God...reschedule or take a cab! She couldn't see to sign her paperwork, dial a regular sized phone, anything! It was frightening.

Comment

Quoth Myra View Post
        Oh and I forgot the best part of this story. Remember how she asked us to help her dial since she couldn't see? She'd had her eyes dialted at the eye doctor's office.

After she left, she got into her car...and DROVE. Now I can understand not having anyone to drive her to the appointment, but for the love of God...reschedule or take a cab! She couldn't see to sign her paperwork, dial a regular sized phone, anything! It was frightening.
        Myra, when you get your eyes dialated, you just can't see about 2 feet in front of your face - you can't focus. Driving with her eyes dialted shouldn't be an issue - it doesn't affect any of your distance vision (I just had an eye appointment this morning, so I got to do the whole hold-the-paper-at-arms-length-to-read-it thing. I felt like an old person lol (I'm 21).

I understand your concern, but I'm pretty sure that she could see just fine...as long as she had sunglasses on.
        Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

Yeah she had sunglasses. I only thought that because everyone I know who had to have that done was told not to drive until their eyes were better. I had to go with the mother-in-law to an eye appointment for that. I dunno, I've never had to have it done, perhaps she was perfectly fine. She had her sunglasses, but given the fact that she couldn't read ANYTHING no matter where she put it in front of her face, that was why I was worried about her driving.

Hard telling, I've been wrong before! Maybe she was just lazy and didn't feel like reading anything!
          Last edited by Myra; 11-21-2006, 10:15 PM. Reason: Because I am an idiot.

Comment

Quoth thegiraffe View Post
            Myra, when you get your eyes dialated, you just can't see about 2 feet in front of your face - you can't focus. Driving with her eyes dialted shouldn't be an issue - it doesn't affect any of your distance vision (I just had an eye appointment this morning, so I got to do the whole hold-the-paper-at-arms-length-to-read-it thing. I felt like an old person lol (I'm 21).
            There are drops that will reverse the dilation. However, you'll still have the effects for a few minutes until it wears off. The last time I had that done, I had to drive back to work. Even with sunglasses, it was interesting--especially driving through the Liberty Tunnels. Imagine going from bright sunlight, into the tunnels...and not being able to remove the sunglasses because it was too bright in there, yet dark enough to require headlights
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
            X