This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Register and SC meltdowns

Last night was a doozy...we had two attempted walkoffs when the registers crashed.

Round 1

Every so often, if a customer slides their card while items are being scanned, the pinpad will lock up. Usually when this happens it's no big deal, just use the pin on your nametag to reset the pinpad and when it reboots continue as normal (register still has the order open, so nothing is lost).

Note I said "normal". This was anything but.

Customer was a man with wife and kid in a stroller. The order was $117 and change, and the pinpad froze. Cue me (because I was closest at the time, and being in a purple shirt had a target on my forehead) and FEM coming over. She tried to explain what was happening while I tried to reset the pinpad. This is what happened in the minute or two it took to come back to life.

SC: duh
    SCW: Wife
    Me:
    G: Newbie cashier
    E: kickass FEM

SC: "What happened? Did you crash it so you could overcharge me and I won't know about it?!"
    G: *glare, says nothing*
    Me: "The register froze, it happens, it will just take a minute to come back up. Your order is still open, I just need to reset the card reader."
    SC starts to leave the lane; he can't get far as there are a few elderly people having Old Home Week on the front end. Normally we would ask them to move, but anything barring this guy from going out the door is a good thing.
    E: "Sir, you cannot leave with the cart."
    SC: "I don't have time for this! My kid is having a meltdown!"
    The kidlet was a bit fussy, but nowhere near 'meltdown' mode. My Keyring o' Shiny Things(tm) was dangling out of my pocket and he was mesmerized by it.
    SC blusters some more, and then sends his wife to the car with the cart (we really need some security).
    E: "Sir, the cart CANNOT leave the store." She stopped short of saying that is considered theft until payment is made.
    SC: "SCW, go to the car now."
    E tosses me the keys, herself and a floater manager book it out the door. SC turns his ire on myself and G. I manage to ignore him and tell G to do the same, but to have the desk call the cops if he raises a hand to either of us. Which thankfully never happened. Eventually things are solved, but not without SC threats of "I'm never coming here again/this is bad customer service/etc." (at that point I had been summoned back to selfscan, so didn't see the resolution) Which leads me into...

Round 2

SC: duh
    Me: Hi!
    E: kickass FEM
    FSM: floater manager of the day

A woman with about $200 worth of food comes through selfscan. She uses three gift cards for payment; the first two go through, but the third has a bad magnetic stripe and nothing I do will make it read. E comes over to see if she can help. The SC is very rough-looking (unkempt, vaguely odiferous) and is acting strange...I think I recognize her as a general troublemaker (bannable from any other store and she probably has been). Cashier D (not a huge guy, but moderately intimidating if you don't know him) has picked up on the situation and is also lurking nearby.
    E: (sotto) "So what's going on?"
    Me: (sotto) "This card's giving me an invalid stripe error [which usually only happens if a card isn't active]." Red flag, E wants to call the 800-number to see if that card actually was activated. Three brand-new (one still on the hanger tab) $100 gift cards, sketchy-looking SC...
    SC: "Oh my god what's happening? I have to go now, I don't have time for this!
    E takes the card over to the desk to check the balance; D moves next to me just in case things get weird.
    The card's good, but won't read for whatever reason. The only thing I can do is reverse tender (put the money back on the two cards that went through), only then will it let me save the order so it can be processed at the desk.
    E: "The card reader's not working right; we need to put the money back on the cards you paid with and go to another lane."
    SC: "Whaaaat? You're saying I didn't pay? I need to leave!"
    Lather, rinse, repeat. Now FSM is here as well. They're both explaining it to SC in the simplest possible terms, SC is deciding to complicate it as much as possible (FSM guessed later that she was trying to confuse us into letting her leave).

The first card reversal works. SC can't find the second card (which is needed to do this) and flips out.
    SC: "I don't have time for this! I have to leave NOW! Why do you need the card? I have to leave!" Takes the cart and tries to leave. Luckily the cart is the one with a bad wheel and takes my entire weight to move when full, so she can't budge it more than a few inches.
    SC: "I threw the card away! I crunched it up and threw it away!" Cue E and FSM looking through trash cans (ick).
    When the payment reversal failed for the second card (the one nobody can find), the entire register shuts down. Not just the program, but the whole thing dies (while I can see the program forcing a shutdown, the whole thing should not die) O_o
    FSM freaks out a bit because she doesn't know what happened to the payment that couldn't be reversed. I reboot the register, hoping that somehow the transaction would be accessible. It's not. SC is taken over to a cashier lane, E and FSM are the only two people she will deal with.

Ultimately, everything works out (when the transaction didn't complete, the money was not actually deducted from the second card...which SC had dropped in one of the shopping bags). So the store gets the money and all's well...not before another "This is horrible, I'm never coming here again!" tirade.

E reiterates later that management needs to exercise the legal right to ban troublemakers. I'm very tempted to write a letter to Corporate about the need for a guard in the store (at least at night when the crazies descend).
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-19-2013, 01:55 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Night time, especially during full moons..

Even I have horror stories about that. The things one sees working night shift. It is enough to make a sane person go crazy. Good thing I was already insane when I worked that shift. . One of these days I will have to chronicle the adventures of Mytical .. if I can keep from going sane while doing so. Cause if I went sane, I'd forget night shift ever happened.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Memorable quote from another floater manager last Sunday as we had closed the store and were walking out (shortly after some lady tried to push her way into the store "I want my receipt to make sure that [racial epithet describing one of our cashiers] gave me all of my discounts!").

"Holy shit, you guys get some real whackjobs in here."

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        "Holy shit, you guys get some real whackjobs in here."
        "Yes, yes we do"
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

These selfscans are a dumpster fire. I've had it happen where someone doesn't realize they owe more money after sliding their EBT/gift card, and they've already walked off. If they worked more like the regular registers, where you can void an item after they partially paid, it would solve this problem.

The company's programmers should be drawn and quartered. They have to waste money printing new coupons to ship to the stores because they can't program the one in the flyer correctly. Three-day sales/must buy X/instant savings when you buy X are a hassle to show that they've got the right item. And don't forget that most selfscan registers can't scan the GS1 coupon barcodes.

Also, I'd rather have a LP guy in the store rather than a security guard. Most of the security guards I've seen hired couldn't even threaten a puppy.

Comment

E reiterates later that management needs to exercise the legal right to ban troublemakers.
            YES! x infinity! Nobody should have to put up with that nonsense. Those jackasses were looking to start trouble. Perhaps being banned would teach them the proper way to behave, perhaps not, but either way, it'd no longer be your problem.

And I agree about the guard / LP person. Personally, I think every store should have one, at least during the busy times, but we all know how Corporate is so willing to dole out even more of their precious money...
            Last edited by XCashier; 11-18-2013, 04:27 PM.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

It's too bad that most companies will be all "THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT."

This company has wasted our time with several meetings promoting their new CS initiative.

"Always smile!" "Strike up conversation!" "Say things like 'Have a brilliant day!'" "Go above and beyond!" "Bend over!"

It's kind of funny watching my store's CSM just being completely disinterested while talking about it. "Just do whatever so I don't have to hear from the DM about how we hassled them and had to give them a gift card." I had someone complain to another manager about how I apologized too much after a selfscan crashed on them while I was scanning their coupons. They got a $5 gift card. GRR.

Comment

Quoth DerangedHermit View Post
                These selfscans are a dumpster fire.
                Ours are supposed to get replaced at the end of the year...why they couldn't do it over the summer so everything is working for the holidays I don't know (11/27 is going to be interesting if registers keep dying). I'm now noticing that our selfscans don't have some of the sales programmed in...or for them to be there you have to reboot the whole thing.

My store is a mess. The rank-and-file knows what's going on and how to fix it (hello, we have to deal with the assholes every day), the manager ignores everything until the suits come in and come down on him for not doing/preventing XYZ. We do XYZ...or would if you'd actually LET us.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                  Night time, especially during full moons..

Even I have horror stories about that. The things one sees working night shift. It is enough to make a sane person go crazy. Good thing I was already insane when I worked that shift. . One of these days I will have to chronicle the adventures of Mytical .. if I can keep from going sane while doing so. Cause if I went sane, I'd forget night shift ever happened.
                  That made me see the words "NIGHT SHIFT" in those long, droopy letters that look like they're melting, in a nasty slime green color, black background, lightning bolts, people screaming...
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I had someone complain to another manager about how I apologized too much after a selfscan crashed on them while I was scanning their coupons. They got a $5 gift card. GRR.
                    Wait, what?
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

The company's programmers should be drawn and quartered.
                      Yes, they should. Hell, I could probably program it correctly (or at least tell them exactly what to do).

Doesn't help that the OS ours are on has been out of support for about 10 years...so what I suspect is they've stuffed a new(er) program onto an older OS (and even older hardware). I'd love to get my hands on one of the system units when they rip them out and find out exactly how bad the hardware/OS/software mismatch is.
                      Three-day sales/must buy X/instant savings when you buy X are a hassle to show that they've got the right item. And don't forget that most selfscan registers can't scan the GS1 coupon barcodes.
                      Our new ones should be able to handle all of this...I'll believe that one when I see it, of course (part of me is hoping I'll be out of the place by then, but part of me suspects that I'm one of a very small handful of people keeping that store afloat).

Comment

Our new ones should be able to handle all of this...I'll believe that one when I see it, of course (part of me is hoping I'll be out of the place by then, but part of me suspects that I'm one of a very small handful of people keeping that store afloat).
                        It depends, but when they put new selfscans in my store over the summer, they installed new registers but they had the same crappy scanner scales as all the others in the store. They also still had the same crappy software that was on the older selfscans, but it runs a lot faster. They did give paystation a spiffy portable scanner that can scan the coupons, but it's still a pain.

Comment

Our paystation has been effectively out of commission for a month; while the register does have power, the hand scanner does not (and while the wire maze for that register is accessible, everything is caked with crud and nothing is labeled; I have no idea if it's plugged in or if it is, does its outlet even work). Everything rung up there has to be typed in, so nobody uses it because invariably they'll get yelled at about the extra 2 seconds per item.

Comment

E reiterates later that management needs to exercise the legal right to ban troublemakers. I'm very tempted to write a letter to Corporate about the need for a guard in the store (at least at night when the crazies descend).
                            wish you luck.

They're not the ones being threatened.

Weird how there's always ample budget for security 'teams' at the corporate offices but never for 'one' guard for a store that truly needs one.

I forsee: A well practiced quasi-concerned frown (ambigous enough that you will not be able to discern wheter is a concern for your safety or how 'you' allowed the escalation by failing to provide excellent customer service) followed by a rapid budget 101 speech, capped with ways 'you' could improve your customer service skills to ensure you difuse these situations by 'killing them with kindness'.
                            “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
                            ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Quoth Josh View Post
                              I forsee: A well practiced quasi-concerned frown (ambigous enough that you will not be able to discern wheter is a concern for your safety or how 'you' allowed the escalation by failing to provide excellent customer service) followed by a rapid budget 101 speech, capped with ways 'you' could improve your customer service skills to ensure you difuse these situations by 'killing them with kindness'.
                              Either that or "Thanks for your feedback, we'll look into it *toilet flush*"

Comment

Working...
                              X