X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I did not smoke pot in that room"

Bit of background...

So back in my early 20's, I found out that I have a severe allergy to marijuana and I didn't even smoke it.

My washer was broken and my mom said I could use hers. My sister (who was around 19 years old at the time) still lived at home and her boyfriend was over. They were hanging out together watching tv in the basement near the washer and dryer. I took my stuff down to put it in the wash.

In five minutes, I was crawling up the stairs on my hands and knees and almost passed out at the top.

Now this was a long time ago and I didn't remember the exact effects on me. Since then, though I've had to deal with people smoking pot before, it's usually as a whiff in the hallway or something. It give sme an instant headache but nothing as bad as what happened that day. I was nearly hospitalized.

Fast forward to today and one of the housekeepers says that they think someone is smoking pot in a room, so I head on up with her and they open the door. Hell yes they are smoking pot in that room. It just REEKS. So I warn them about the smoking penalty and tell them I will go back down to speak to the GM and they call down the hall to me "we aren't smoking in here". Uh huh... yeah right.

So I'm fine for the first few minutes, then I started to notice it. My throat is closing up, and I'm getting dizzy. And they come charging down stairs with their stuff already packed and try talking to the GM who just will not have it. They keep saying that they didn't smoke in the room (then why pack your stuff up?), and that they found a needle between the matress (bull crap) and base so they want a discount. In the meantime, I'm in the bathroom splashing water on my face thinking that maybe I'm just overreacting since I really dislike the whole premise of pot.

When they start the whole "we didn't smoke pot in the room" thing, I turned around and looked directly at them "Let me tell you something... I'm severely allergic to pot and yes you DID smoke pot in that room. It was so strong that my throat is starting to close up and I'm dizzy".

So the GM (who is also my husband btw), outright tell them "You are no longer welcome here. Please leave".

The stupid girl says "We found a syringe in the room. I think we deserve a discount".

My husband says "You will not be receiving a discount and we will be charging you $300 for smoking in that room which you agreed to when you check in".

Stupid girl "I don't have $300".

GM then says "Well that's too bad, just leave".

The stupid guy says "Hey man, I got pot in my bag but I didn't smoke it. I smoked out in the courtyard like you said on check in".

GM says "So why does the room smell like pot then?"

Seeing whats happening with me, they turn and walk out without another word (dragging their suitcases with them down the street. I smell locals) because by this time, I'm having my head down in my hands and telling him that I need benadryl, like now.

Now I'm fine and the benadryl worked, though I'm all medicine head now and mild muscle ache from the throat down to my toes. My throat is sore. Trust me, if it had gone any farther, I'd be in the hospital right now.

I did take an hour lunch and then clocked out early to go sit quietly in the sitting room. One of the owners even called to check on me later because she showed up in the middle of all this.

So "I did not smoke pot in that room"... my ass. I have a built in lie detector on that one.

And yes, we did charge her $300 to her credit card. Whether she likes it or not. She's lucky we didn't call the police and have her arrested, especially considering what happened to me.

I know one thing... the next time someone working for us says they smell pot, I won't be the one checking it out. I don't want to end up dead. I have other allergies (like hay fever) but this is by far the worst.
    Last edited by Moirae; 11-07-2013, 12:13 AM.

For sure stay away if that's the kind of reaction you have. Fortunately it sounds like you have a human boss so he's not going to push you into something you can't do.

What fucking assholes. Maybe I'm in that room next, with my daughter and we've got to be in a room with that smell. Charge them that $300, raise it up to $1000 for the next asshole.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

I was once the "stooge" ratting out my soccer team who were smoking pot in a shared hotel room (shared with me, I had to put up with it all night long). I dont think my team is welcome back to that place ever again.
      "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

Given that you deal with the public,t any one of whom might be reeking of pot at any moment, you might want to consider getting an epi-pen or whatever is appropriate for your condition. You can perhaps avoid going in to pot-infested rooms, but if some d-bag takes it into the hallway, you could be in serious trouble.
        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Rather reminds me of the guy we fined for smoking in the room at the hotel I used to work at; his argument was 'he only smoked in the bathroom.' Ummm, yeah, that's part of the room. Since he admitted it, the manager had no problem tacking on the fine!
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Wow. These people make me feel like an asshole for being a pot smoker myself.

I indulge in the plant, but at least have half a fucking mind to be somewhat courteous to those around me that choose NOT to partake in said hobby of mine.

These people were definently on something else (the needle line gave it away), because people that ONLY smoke pot and do nothing else aren't this stupid, or inconsiderate!

fucking ban them..
            If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

My family has the opposite genetic trait. We don't get effected by it at all. It's a bit of a joke actually.

Comment

Quoth pzychobitch View Post
                These people were definently on something else (the needle line gave it away), because people that ONLY smoke pot and do nothing else aren't this stupid, or inconsiderate!
                Despite the high regard you hold your fellow pot smokers in, I have to disagree, for the simple reason that pot smokers, like any other group, has their share of idiots and assholes.

Not all people that only smoke pot are automatically intelligent and considerate, my friend.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

I'm so sorry that happened to you!!
                  Why don't people like this see that pot, like cigarettes, people can smell a mile away! Even those who do smoke can smell it on someone else or in a room unless they are smoking right at the moment too! Sheesh!

Comment

Is it wrong that I read this title as "I did not smoke pot in that room" ...?
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Finally! Someone else that's allergic to pot! I tell people that I am and I get laughed at. Wait until your eyes have swelled shut, then you'll see how funny it is.

Quoth evilhomer View Post
                      For sure stay away if that's the kind of reaction you have. Fortunately it sounds like you have a human boss so he's not going to push you into something you can't do..
                      I would hope so, seeing as she's married to him.

Quoth Moirae View Post
                      So the GM (who is also my husband btw), outright tell them "You are no longer welcome here. Please leave".
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

On one hand, good that the management didn't try to push you after that exposure.
                        I hope HK is able to clean the place up enough that you can walk in that hallway. As for the needle, how do we know it wasn't SC's that they would have otherwise left behind? I sure hope they're banned and don't try to dispute that CC charge.
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I have multiple sclerosis, a condition which can *sometimes* be severe enough that sufferers have to smoke marijuana, that being the *only* chemical that lessens their pain AT ALL; but I'm not that bad yet, X fingers

Comment

I'm allergic to pot as well. Same thing happens, I get dizzy, throat closes off and I have passed out before. I can't even touch hemp without breaking out in a rash.

People who lie about smoking in hotel rooms are just stupid. But then, SCs tend to be just that

Comment

So what happens now? Is there a special cleaning service to "de-smelll" the room? What has to be done?

Comment

Working...
                              X