This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    I understand there are some good wines coming out of the Thunderbird region of France, the Night Train region of Italy, and the Ripple region of Spain.
    Not to mention "Ooops, I left the fruit juice in the pool house last month."
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I understand there are some good wines coming out of the Thunderbird region of France, the Night Train region of Italy, and the Ripple region of Spain.
      And don't forget the old favorite of the Greybar Hotel, Pru Neau...
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
        Liquor store customers are one of two types:
        Good advice, thank you. I've only once had to refuse a sale because a girl forgot her ID. She had asked if her BF could come in and make the purchase and I informed her legally that I wouldn't be permitted to make the sale, since I knew it would be for her. She said she understood and thankfully didn't argue.

I have found that 99.9% of those I ask for ID have zero issue showing it, even if they happen to be 40 - they just look young! Only once have I had a guy give me gruff when I asked he was all "REALLY???" - fortunately my boss was in the till opposite mine and I just said "Yes, really!" and got a nod from her, I might be overly cautious at the moment, but I as you said - its not worth the felony charge.

The only real issues I've had was learning the dang lottery machine, and the procedures for redeeming wins and scratchers, and the last 2 days the debit system was giving us grief, refusing to authenticate or causing our terminals to crash and reboot. Very annoying.

Okay I know I'm getting tired - I initially read that as "The Nipple region"

Quoth dalesys View Post
        Not to mention "Ooops, I left the fruit juice in the pool house last month."
        Sounds like the of the science experiments leftovers my college room-mate had in the fridge.

Quoth XCashier View Post
        And don't forget the old favorite of the Greybar Hotel, Pru Neau...
        I grew up in the backwoods - my neighbors practically wrote the book on "redneck." My Grandpa had a still, and his hooch was so strong it could strip paint and unclog drains.
        Last edited by MadMike; 12-04-2013, 05:31 AM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts

Comment

Liquor store customers are fun!

No, really, I loved the crazy customers I used to get while working at the local booze joint. Now, my coworkers OTOH were something of a pain at times.

Pro tip for booze-hounds:

Develop your sarcasm muscles. Practice on other staff and your family, and branch out to customers. I've always claimed that you can say ANYTHING to someone if you say it the right way, and with the local boozers, I had enormous amounts of fun.

Comment

Quoth RonaldFrobnitz View Post
            I have found that 99.9% of those I ask for ID have zero issue showing it, even if they happen to be 40 - they just look young! Only once have I had a guy give me gruff when I asked he was all "REALLY???" - fortunately my boss was in the till opposite mine and I just said "Yes, really!" and got a nod from her, I might be overly cautious at the moment, but I as you said - its not worth the felony charge.
            There is a sign featured almost EVERYWHERE in any age-restricted product store (liquor, cigarettes, sex shops, strip clubs etc.) that usually says "take it as a compliment."

I've found that fawning over clearly older customers tends to shut them up

Quoth dakhur View Post
            Develop your sarcasm muscles. Practice on other staff and your family, and branch out to customers. I've always claimed that you can say ANYTHING to someone if you say it the right way, and with the local boozers, I had enormous amounts of fun.
            So you were the used car salesman of liquorland?
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Ya'll fancy people drink wine?

Oh well, I guess more wapatuile for me.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                There is a sign featured almost EVERYWHERE in any age-restricted product store (liquor, cigarettes, sex shops, strip clubs etc.) that usually says "take it as a compliment."

I've found that fawning over clearly older customers tends to shut them up

So you were the used car salesman of liquorland?
                Fireheart, I didn't know you'd worked with me! (VBG)

Sadly, true. My ex-bosses may have complained about other things I've done, but not a single one of them every complained that I couldn't sell stuff. Quite the reverse at times. It's always been something of a running joke wherever I've worked.

Back on topic:

Welcome to the newbie. And should you need a manual on sarcasm, cynicism, and customer service, look up a poster on this site called 'Gravekeeper'. His tales of the denizens of the frozen North provide hours of hysterical amusement.

If you do, be sure to observe rule 1#.

Comment

Something I've learned from working graveyards and having possibly heavily intoxicated people trying to buy liquor and what not from me, learn you local Id laws nitpick the id not how drunk they are. That way you don't have to argue how drunk they are but state that their id isnt acceptable and generally they give up without much of a fight.

Comment

Welcome!!!!
                    Ah, liquor stores....my first job as a teen was in a small pharmacy/everything store that had a liquor department. Once I turned 18 and old enough to sell I worked it. Luckly the owner was the pharmacist so he was there all day every day and her had 4 daughters so he would not let anyone give me shit. It really taught me how to stand up for myself. I remember it well. Best advice I can give is always, always, always look 100% confident that you are right when you have to turn people away. Don't show one little crack in the confident look or they will argue you to death.

Comment

Working...
                    X