Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live in a fairly large city and there are still parts of town that don't have a grocery store within easy walking/bus distance. Getting banned from one in the poorer parts of town would be a major inconvenience for someone like the blind nutjob.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
      The problem with picking this person up as a hitchhiker is, the moment he got in the car, he would turn to you and say "If you get into an accident I'll sue you and win".
      My reply: "The door is immediately to your right. Have fun walking."

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
        Getting banned from one in the poorer parts of town would be a major inconvenience for someone like the blind nutjob.
        The thread of that was actually enough to get some whackjob with a knife to back off. The assistant manager at my old supermarket job told me a story about a time when he was working at one of the smaller stores in a bad neighborhood. He saw this guy beating up on another much smaller guy, and stepped in to break it up. The big guy then pulled a knife on him, and held it right at his throat. He told me he was scared shitless (who wouldn't be?), and for some reason, the only thing he could think to do was tell him, "Go ahead! You'll never shop here again!"

The guy put the knife away and walked out.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
          I live in a fairly large city and there are still parts of town that don't have a grocery store within easy walking/bus distance. Getting banned from one in the poorer parts of town would be a major inconvenience for someone like the blind nutjob.
          Boo. Hoo. If it came to that, there are plenty of services that will delivery groceries right to a blind person's door. If it comes down to inconveniencing an asshole, or looking out for the welfare of your employees, then I have ZERO sympathy for a belligerent, assaultive customer getting banned. Don't let the door hit you on the way out...!

Comment

I am well familiar with the rights of the disabled - my wife being a polio survivor. There are some "reasonable accommodations" that society does ask the rest of us to accept - such as ramps instead of curbs at crosswalks and beeping "walk/don't walk" signs.

However.

Submitting to physical assault is NOT one of them. Whatever her disability does not give her the right to treat the non-disabled as less-than-human. You have the right to ban her. And she would only have a discrimination case if she can prove you ban all people with her disability - very hard for her to prove.

Go ahead and file charges. Use the store's video as evidence. And don't fear reprisal - once a judge sees the video, (s)he will dismiss the discrimination case.
            I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
              Boo. Hoo. If it came to that, there are plenty of services that will delivery groceries right to a blind person's door. If it comes down to inconveniencing an asshole, or looking out for the welfare of your employees, then I have ZERO sympathy for a belligerent, assaultive customer getting banned. Don't let the door hit you on the way out...!
              Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying that inconveniencing a blind person was justification to not ban hammer the hell outta the twit. I was just pointing out that even in a decent-sized city a grocery store ban could be a serious threat.
              Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                Her disability is irrelevant -- or should be.
                Exactly! Being legally blind does not impair a persons mental state. Unless she has another mental disability, in which case she needs a carer to stop her from being violent, she KNEW EXACTLY what she was doing! Which entitles her entitled ass to a lifetime store ban and a little chat with the boys in blue.

Comment

I think she might have some sort of mental disability as well, although I can't prove it. Previously, she had either the other guy (who did a very good job at reining her in) or a carer with her. No idea why she decided to go solo that time.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

The problem with picking this person up as a hitchhiker is, the moment he got in the car, he would turn to you and say "If you get into an accident I'll sue you and win".
                    And that is when I'd turn to him and say, "Then this is where you get out of my car."

If I'm doing someone a favor, and the first words out of their mouth are the equivalent of "I'm a dickhead just looking for you to fuck up," then I no longer see any point in doing that person a favor.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      And that is when I'd turn to him and say, "Then this is where you get out of my car."

If I'm doing someone a favor, and the first words out of their mouth are the equivalent of "I'm a dickhead just looking for you to fuck up," then I no longer see any point in doing that person a favor.
                      Same here. No second chances.

I've had friends of mine joke about throwing up or otherwise making a mess in my car-- usually just after I've cleaned it up so I can give them a ride-- and I'll tell them, "You wanna walk home?"

Which once resulted in this exchange:

Tom: "I was this.close to crapping in your car."
                      J2K: "And you were this.close to walking home."
                      Tom: "But we're in Delaware!"
                      J2K: "Exactly."
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

The problem is, how do you extricate a man/beast/thing from your vehicle knowing that any attempt to physically remove him (and you just know he won't leave voluntarily) will end in a very messy lawsuit? Most of my wife's friends encountered this bloke before the rise of the cellphone, so it would have been difficult to summon police. And he's the kind of being that would have just enough malice and spite to stick around in the car for just as long as you care to sit and wait for him to depart.
                        But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                        And it's not what I wanted to be
                        The weight on me
                        Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

In that case, I would have driven to the nearest police station at once. Yes, you're driving so he 'wins', but you aren't driving him where he wants to go, so he doesn't.
                          "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

The problem is, how do you extricate a man/beast/thing from your vehicle knowing that any attempt to physically remove him (and you just know he won't leave voluntarily) will end in a very messy lawsuit? Most of my wife's friends encountered this bloke before the rise of the cellphone, so it would have been difficult to summon police. And he's the kind of being that would have just enough malice and spite to stick around in the car for just as long as you care to sit and wait for him to depart.
                            I'm a stubborn fucker. If he did not get out when I told him to, I would simply shut the truck down. If he was equally stubborn, and would not remove himself from the car voluntarily, I would have a number of options. Depending on my mood that day, I might threaten to drive him to the police station. If he didn't get out at the threat, I would call his bluff, and drive to the police station. Then again, if I was in a particularly ornery or bad mood, I might just get out of my side of the truck, walk around to his side, open the door, and inform him that if he did not get the fuck out of my truck and I mean NOW, the baseball bat/mag light/knife in my hands would be used to extricate him. I usually have a death glare that lets people know that I'm not fucking around. If he STILL did not get the hell out, I would either remove him forcefully, with or without use of aforementioned weapons, and challenge him to prove I ever touched him (no cell phones, no cell phone cameras), or perhaps drive him to the cop shop, or perhaps give him the ride of his life (I can drive VERY aggressively), or maybe, just maybe, take my keys and walk to the nearest pay phone to summon the police and have THEM remove him. My truck, my property. You don't get out when I tell you to, hello, you're now trespassing, motherfucker.

I have many rules for my truck. But all of them come down to "I own the truck, you do not." Luckily, to date the only people I've had trouble extricating from my car or truck were drunk friends who weren't all that conscious.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

On top of that, you'd get a nice mobility cart out of the deal too!

Comment

Not much of an issue these days, but if you don't have a phone, you just gotta have a little imagination!

If he refuses to leave the car, then the car travels - SLOWLY! - in a direction directly opposite of where he wants to go. The further, the better. And of course, it's not kidnapping or unlawful detainment if you tell him "You just let me know when you want to get out, okay?" The more stubborn he is, the harder it's going to be for him to get back home, much less to his 'intended' destination. And, of course, you can always look for a police station along the way. Or a public phone.

Comment

Working...
                                X