Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to push myself out of my comfort zone...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to push myself out of my comfort zone...

So my SO and I have been focusing this year on taking better care of ourselves. In my case, part of the goal is also to help manage my ADHD a little better rather than just relying on the psychology visits and medication (and any debates on that are NOT for here).

In addition to seeing a PT once a week and going to the gym an extra 1-2 times a week, my partner also started doing Krav Maga. He loves it, although I've gotta get used to the bruises he's come home with on occasion.

So naturally, I figured that I'd look for something that I'd do solo, which for me is a BIG step (usually I've done a class, then not gone back because I've had anxiety attacks). After some googling, I found a studio that does pole dance, lyra (aerial hoop) and burlesque dancing classes. Unlike most studios out there, they also explicitly state that they're a safe space and welcome people of all body types. The final clincher however, was their videos and student profiles - some of the students were MUCH bigger than me and reading through the profiles, I found that a lot of them were just as nervous.

With that in mind, I've gone and signed up for a trial lyra class. I'm fully aware that I'll be bruised afterwards, but I ended up choosing it over pole dancing for a few reasons:

- it's something I've debated about doing for a while.

- it's something that'll *really* force me out of my comfort zone.

- you're meant to be covered for lyra and I'm not quite comfortable enough to be wearing booty shorts to class.

Failing that, my backup are the burlesque classes. That gives me the additional challenge of learning how to walk, let alone dance in heels, but I'll give it a crack.

Wish me luck!

Awesome!

I have a plus-sized friend (and then some!) who does burlesque regularly. She has worked with a group of burlesque people with disabilities, and it sounds very cool.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
      I have a plus-sized friend (and then some!) who does burlesque regularly. She has worked with a group of burlesque people with disabilities, and it sounds very cool.
      Nice!

I'm tossing up on the burlesque class and may do it as a backup if my knee causes issues. This studio does do nudity, but a) it's only topless, b) it's usually not until the end of the routine and c) it's done in a way that's still very tasteful and fun.

They put the routines up on their website so you can see what the other classes are doing. Holy fark are those women flexible!

Comment

So I did the come n try class today. It was SO much fun, but holy fark my butt and thigh are sore!

Yes, you read that right, thigh singular. This one's likely going to be bruised.

The session was really great though and the instructor was awesome. I also got to meet the one who's actually teaching me in two weeks (I signed up for a full term), as she was manning the reception area today.

I also got treated to an unintentional solo performance - one of the students who had just finished her first full term of classes had their class before ours. The instructor went out to Reception and asked "Hey, is anyone willing to be an audience participant?" There were about eight of us hanging around, so we all went to watch, along with the Burlesque come n try class (who were just finishing up). The student was AMAZING - so damn flexible. She was worried about coming out of a move too early - none of us even noticed.

Then came our turn. When your instructor includes the phrase, "As you can tell, I don't take myself seriously," in her spiel, you know you're in for a good time.

We learned how to get into the hoop, a few different poses, how to get out of the hoop and an under the hoop pose as well. Since we had about 10 people all up (between 6 hoops), most of us had to share with someone. Lucky me though got one on my own and therefore got to do the moves twice in a row (and that was NOT a bad thing as I needed all the practice). They label the moves with cute, pinup-esque names, which actually makes it easier for me to form something of a story in my head for the routine we'll eventually learn.

I had zero problems with the actual poses - my problem was more related to the size of the damn hoop. Turns out that because my legs are long, I'm gonna need a bigger hoop (one of the things they pride themselves on is being all-inclusive, so they have hoops of different sizes)

I'm missing the first class of the term (which is in two weeks) due to an event that I had pre-booked, but I'll be starting classes after that. As it turned out, the come n try today covered the moves I'd be learning in the first class anyway, so I haven't missed out on anything at all.
        Last edited by LadyofArc; 06-23-2018, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X