What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
    Finished The Family Plot (disappointing ending IMO) and now I 'borrowed' my husband's copy of The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell.
    I've never heard of The Family Plot but I really like Bernard Cornwell's work.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
      I've just bought this! Just out of interest, did you ever pick up the Magic Libres series?
      Slipped my mind until I reread this thread, actually. I just requested the first one from the library.

Current in-progress reading:
      Phone: Nightfall, Asimov/Silverberg novel
      iPad Kindle app: 1634: The Baltic War, from Eric Flint's Ring of Fire series (in 2000, a small mining town in West Virginia gets relocated to 1631 Germany, smack in the middle of the Thirty Years' War)
      Breakroom paperback (electronics are not allowed at work): rereading the Stephanie Plum series, currently on #13
      Around-the-house physical reading: Furiously Happy, by Jenny Lawson.

Yes, it is normal for me to have multiple books going at once. My husband says he finds this habit of mine confusing.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
        Slipped my mind until I reread this thread, actually. I just requested the first one from the library.

Current in-progress reading:
        Phone: Nightfall, Asimov/Silverberg novel
        iPad Kindle app: 1634: The Baltic War, from Eric Flint's Ring of Fire series (in 2000, a small mining town in West Virginia gets relocated to 1631 Germany, smack in the middle of the Thirty Years' War)
        I remember Nightfall, an excellent story.

As for the 1632 series, also known as the 1632-verse or Ring of Fire series, I have not read them, but they are on my list. You can download most of the series here, along with other great science fiction books such as the Honorverse series.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Currently rereading Gene Wolfe's The Wizard Knight. Before that, read Brust's latest (Tiassa) and reread a pair of Pratchett's (Going Postal and Making Money).

Comment

I like about half of Gene Wolfe's stuff (The Book of the New Sun, Soldier in the Mist, The Fifth Head of Cerberus) but some of it (like Peace) is indescribably dense and I feel like I am not smart enough to understand it.

I like The Winter King but it's very heavy and slow going. Might find another one to tag team. Maybe Ruth Rendell, she's a quick read usually.
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
              Currently rereading Gene Wolfe's The Wizard Knight. Before that, read Brust's latest (Tiassa) and reread a pair of Pratchett's (Going Postal and Making Money).
              Going Postal is an awesome and hilarious book. I didn't care for Making Money quite as much.

I'm currently reading The Lightless Sky by Gulwali Passarlay. Early on, his widowed mother scrapes together as much money as she can to give to the "people movers" (smugglers) to get her two eldest sons out of Afghanistan and into Europe. Her last words to them: "Don't ever come back."

The author was 12 at the time. His brother was 13.

Despite the promises of the local agent, the two boys were separated right at the start of their journey, and we hear nothing about the oldest boy for the majority of the book. Gulwali is the younger of the two, and this is his story about trying to get to Europe, and having to trust people who may or may not be trustworthy, and being put into some truly hideous "living" conditions during his run across the continent. I'm almost finished the book and he has just now had word of his brother who has, apparently, successfully made it to England.
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                I like about half of Gene Wolfe's stuff (The Book of the New Sun, Soldier in the Mist, The Fifth Head of Cerberus) but some of it (like Peace) is indescribably dense and I feel like I am not smart enough to understand it.

I like The Winter King but it's very heavy and slow going. Might find another one to tag team. Maybe Ruth Rendell, she's a quick read usually.
                Well, I can't say The Wizard Knight isn't "dense", because there's a hella lot happening on any given page. But it does move along, and it explains the world-rules fully so you don't actually need to get all the mythological references. (Mostly Norse and Arthurian, but there's no "purism" on either account.)

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                  Going Postal is an awesome and hilarious book.
                  I think the movie is also excellent.

Comment

I just finished "Dreamfall" by Joan D. Vinge. I had read her two earlier books "Psion" and "Catspaw", and recently stumbled across this third book following the same characters.

The protagonist is an interesting mix of hopeful and hopeless, cynical and naive.

Not something to read stand-alone; a lot of the world-building (worlds building?) is done in the first book, and there's a lot that is just sketched in. Still, a decent read for anyone who has read the first two.

Moving on to some Lawrence Watt-Evans now.
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Now reading the latest novel in Charles Stross's Laundry series. Great stuff.

Comment

• I know. Isn't it great? Having temped at the local Magistrate's court when I was younger, there earlier books were giving me flash-backs about all the red tape and "make do and mend" attitude to equipment. It was the early 2000's and we still had computers attached to green-on-black text monitors!
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• I finally finished The Lightless Sky by Gulwali Passarlay, the Star Wars novel The Last Shot by Daniel Jose Older and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Both Passarlay's and Zusak's novels were very, very touching.

Currently reading A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas (not terribly impressed with it at the moment, but it might improve) and re-reading Ruled Britannia by that master of alternative history, Harry Turtledove (spoiler: the Spanish Armada makes it to England ...)
                          Last edited by Pixelated; 12-31-2018, 01:00 AM.
                          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Swiped my stepdad's copy of The Exorcist because I have never read it. Gonna start the new year out right!
                            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• I am presently reading Trapped in Paradise. It is the story for four nuns caught behind enemy lines when the Japanese forces occupied the Solomon Islands during WW2. It is a very good book. It is available on Amazon.

Comment

• I have some stuff in queue to read...

But my problem right now is a squinty one, if you catch my drift. Reading off of a computer screen is fine right now, the problem is when I try to read books, I squint a lot, and they're actually hard to read.

I have an appointment with an eye doc coming up this weekend, so hopefully I can get that resolved.
                                Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
                                X