This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Baby is Abnormal

Oooh, new section and I think this one should fit here. I was deciding for a long time whether I should post it but I think, since this is here, I will.

My roommate is well into her first pregnancy right now and of course is going through all the woes of pregnancy (and all the awesomeness too, the little fetus kicked me in the face!) So she wobbles her way to the doctor's to get numerous tests done and all that wonderfulness. She sits down in the little room and the doctor comes in and for the whole monologue that the doctor is telling her, she's not listening.

Why?

Because the first thing the doctor said was, "You're baby is abnormal." Then she windingly talks about other things and is all over the place in her little monologue, leaving my roommate wondering if her baby is going to LIVE properly or not and then at the END of this giant story time the doctor is giving her it is said, "He's a little fat."

...A little fat? THAT warranted the word "abnormal?!" She came home in tears over this and just yesterday she went in and asked a different doc whether or not her baby was fat and the doc looked at her and said,

"No...he's the perfect size."

Yea, that dr is a jerk.

Let me tell ya a story about me when i was a fetus. *relayed to me by my mother*

Mom has endometriosis. When she was 24 the dr told her if she and dad wanted to have children, they needed to do it now, or they may never have any. So the tried, and BOOM i'm conceived.

Later on, in a regular check up, the Dr. sits down with my mother and father and explains to them that I'm not developing the way i should. I'm small for the gestation period, and that he believes that there is something seriously wrong with me. He also says, that it may be a good idea to think about abortion.

(Now, this will not and SHALL NOT get into the discussion of abortion. I will not see it here. It is just relevant to the story.)

So once my parents heard this, they thought for just a moment and said "This is my child. I may never have a second chance. I will keep her just as she is, and i will deal with whatever comes when it comes." (yay mom ) (she also later on had 2 more sons, yay brothers )

Skip 24 years later (present day) I'm a healthy 5 foot 3 inch tall women. Nothing developmentally, physically, or mentally wrong with me. I am as average a person as average can get! Though, to be far, i WAS a little under developed when i was born. And only in the length department.

Stayed very small until i was 2, i wasn't even 20 lbs until i reached year 2. I'm also the shortest one in my family. My mother is 5 foot 6 and dad is 6 foot 2.

All in all..your roommate's child is going to be just fine. And even if they ARE going to have issues, your roommate will be able to deal with is. She'll be a wonderful mother. I just know it.
    I can only please one person a day, today isn't your day, and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

When someone asks you a stupid question, give them a stupid answer.

Comment

She's finding a new doctor, yes? 'Cause I can tell you right now that a doctor that did that to me would be out on her ass, even if it meant I had to find a new doctor while I was in labor.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

new doctor, new doctor NOW! and if that doctor works for a practice, I would let them know why I'm looking for health care elsewhere. My Dad is a doctor, and he works very hard on his bedside manner to make sure his patients are comfy and understand everything. People like this make his head explode.
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Yeah, I'd say new doctor too. Do not pass "Go" do not collect $200. That speedy to a new doctor.

I shall tell you a story of when I was pregnant.

I went from barely looking pregnant at all, to OMG! I swallowed 37 beachballs. Anyway, doc wanted to make sure everything was kosher inside and had me do another sonogram at 8 months.

Sonogram tech is moving the little sonogram thing over my belly, pointing out butt, legs, arms, torso, and then she say "Uh oh. I can't find the head."

WTF????

I'm 8 months pregnant and you can't find the head!? Turns out Child Rum was locked and loaded in the birth canal.

Whew.

But really ... Telling an 8 month pregnant woman you can't find your baby's head??? Yeah ... not good.

But I can laugh about it now.

But yeah ... friend needs new doc. STAT.

Comment

Haha don't worry guys, it's like a women's center where there's a staff of doctors who are all in on it and up to speed so she doesn't ever have to see that one again. Like she has a single OB but any doctor in the place can take an appointment with her. So she never ever ever has to see that woman again and lately she's been having really great stories to tell from the other ones (apparently the woman today was a real sweetie.)

Oh, btw, the baby is a boy and his name is Chase. I just bought all her baby shower gifts, I'm so excited.

Comment

Some people have no business being doctors.

Like the doctor that told my mother for sure that I was going to be a boy (at about 6 months gestation, didn't tell her he wasn't sure or that he guessed, said that I WAS INDEED MALE, LOOK AT THE PENIS!) and he also gave me a 7 out of 10when I was born because I was too small. Yet my brother, who was born with jaundice, was given a 9.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

"You're baby is abnormal."

"He's a little fat."
                Jesus Christ they're starting when they're still in the womb now! Is that doctor taking kickbacks from Jenny Craig?
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Congratulations to your friend on her healthy bub! I hope that the labour is quick and easy with no complications.

Some people have no business being doctors
                  QFT! I had two such doctors. One put me on a high dose of prednisone 'to burn out the juvenile rheumatoid arthritis' that I DIDN'T have. The second told me that I'll be infertile by 25 and (paraphased): "When you're legal, go to a party and find a drunk bloke to knock you up. If you don't have kids young, you won't be having any."
                  Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

It's a sad statement of fact that medical schools now have to offer classes in bedside manner

Nursing school, it's integrated from day one.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                      It's a sad statement of fact that medical schools now have to offer classes in bedside manner
                      I hope that a former close friend who I had known since a teen gets that class.
                      Before I thread jack I'm thinking I should start a thread of it's own.
                      I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

I don't think those classes do any good.

There are nurses at the clinic I go to who have no qualms of putting their *unwanted* two cents into whatever response I give to their questions (for instance, asking what I eat...."Fast food is HORRIBLE!" or when I admit I tan occasionally "You WILL get cancer!" or when I say I smoke "You WILL die from smoking!").......and don't even get me started on the things that my doctor has said to me, or the doctors at urgent care, for stuff that had nothing to do with what I was there for!
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                          I don't think those classes do any good.

There are nurses at the clinic I go to who have no qualms of putting their *unwanted* two cents into whatever response I give to their questions (for instance, asking what I eat...."Fast food is HORRIBLE!" or when I admit I tan occasionally "You WILL get cancer!" or when I say I smoke "You WILL die from smoking!").......and don't even get me started on the things that my doctor has said to me, or the doctors at urgent care, for stuff that had nothing to do with what I was there for!
                          I add my hate to yours. They probably aren't even RNs. And the next time they make a comment, just say, "Are you a doctor?" When they answer, say, "Then giving me a medical opinion would be illegal, wouldn't it?" If they keep it up, tell the doctor and also ask for the supervisor to file a complaint. And don't back down.
                          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                          HR believes the first person in the door
                          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                          Document everything
                          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                            It's a sad statement of fact that medical schools now have to offer classes in bedside manner .
                            What they NEED to teach is called "The Hippocratic Oath." ("First, do no harm.") Telling someone their fetus is abnormal when it's just a bit chubby? Doesn't the doctor accept that as "emotional harm?"
                            I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Don't get me started about the number of medical and medical-related people who have blamed my problems on me being 'fat'.

For someone with fibromyalgia (which greatly restricts my ability to exercise) and PCOS (which greatly increases a tendency to put on weight), it's amazing how little adipose tissue I have!

But nooooo. I'm 'fat'. And that is the cause, not symptom, of my problems. According to them. (I call bullshit.)

(PS: with the assistance of a good medical team, I am losing fat. Not necessarily weight - I'm gaining muscle. But I'm losing fat.)
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X