This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conspiracy Theory!

Back story: When I worked for <previous company>, I worked in the same office complex as I do for <current company>. The tech complex management loves playing with my access levels. At <last company>, I'd occasionally find out my access to the bathrooms had been removed, forcing me to go around the building to the back door to get in through that access point.

Occasionally they removed access to both, forcing me to find access to another building and use that. I thought now that I'm at <current company> I escaped those shenanigans. I was wrong.

Also, I have a punctured eardrum from shooting at the range Saturday, even though I was wearing hearing protection...go figure. Elevators are agony, and leave me disoriented for a few minutes after a ride, until pressure equalizes inside my head. Doing anything other than standing or sitting upright is also miserable.

So, I needed to change an ethernet cable on a server in the basement. Hopped in the elevator, rode down 4 floors while holding my left ear and writhing in agony, wobbled down the hallway, almost falling over more than once, got to the door, and because you have half a second between removing your badge from the sensor and the door relocking, you have to reach rather far to hold the badge to the sensor while pushing on the door. Not an easy task when you have no equilibrium.

After pushing for a few seconds, I realize the tech complex's shenanigans found me at a different company. My access to the data center in the basement is now gone. I got to ride up the 4 floors, again in agony, wobble down to the nearest sysadmin's desk who has access and ask him to make the change for me.

Fuck you, Management Company. Fuck you and the horse you rode in on.
    Coworker: Distro of choice?
    Me: Gentoo.
    Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Owie, hope your ear heals quickly.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Wow, that sounds beyond painful. If it's that bad, you may be setting yourself up for more injury. If you have time off you can (afford to) take, you might want to, before you end up falling at work and konking your head on the floor.

As for the access-tinkering, that seems wrong. Don't these people have better things to do than inconvenience you? Sheesh. Hope you feel better soon.

Comment

You've got some other problem with your ear (punctured from shooting even with protection?),go see a Dr.

I've made the mistake of shooting snub-nosed .38s with no protection,even worse is my NAA Mini in .22 Mag.But for sheer volume & muzzle blast in a handgun nothin' beats the Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine
        "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Just..dream. Dream about little itty bitty rodentia crawling in and nibbling away..nibbling...the fiber optics.
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Got me concerned - have you checked with a doctor over this? I don't know enough about such conditions to say if you are risking permanent damage or not, but it can't hurt to get it checked.

Rapscallion

Comment

*&^% that! Have you checked with a lawyer over this? Harrassing someone at work is illegal, but harrassing someone with a medical condition is just evil.

Even if they are not your employer, talk to your boss or HR about a hostile work environment.

Comment

Quoth Frantic Freddie View Post
                You've got some other problem with your ear (punctured from shooting even with protection?),go see a Dr.
                Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                Got me concerned - have you checked with a doctor over this? I don't know enough about such conditions to say if you are risking permanent damage or not, but it can't hurt to get it checked.
                I did talk to the doc. He said it was minor, and should heal in a few days. My equilibrium is back, but my hearing isn't quite back to normal. Its close enough that I can only tell my hearing isn't quite right when I'm listening to music.

As for it rupturing with earplugs, I have major chronic respiratory allergies. On a good day, I can breathe through one nostril. On a bad day, I have so much sinus pressure my teeth hurt. The only thing that seems to do anything for my allergies is sudafed. Thanks to the US government, it's hard to legally keep at home, but that's a discussion for fratching.

Finally, as for it being malicious, I highly doubt it. Most of the offices here are vacant for a reason. The management company is horridly incompetent. There was a dead bird on the roof that was somehow stinking up the area around my desk before I was hired. (I'm on the top floor of one of the buildings in this complex formerly owned by Perfection of Word) It took them *3 MONTHS* to actually go up there and look. By that time, it was mostly decomposed and had stopped stinking as badly.

This is the same management company that watched me badge into the building, walk downstairs, badge into the data center of <previous company>, then followed me in, and gave me grief for being in a restricted area. Even after I showed him I had logins to servers, and the workstation at my desk, plus provided my employee ID card with my photo, they were still skeptical.

They're the spoon in the knife drawer of management companies. :-)
                Coworker: Distro of choice?
                Me: Gentoo.
                Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Oh, well then, carry on! Glad you're feeling a bit better.

But, I thought that spoons hurt more...

Comment

You might want to use the foam plugs as well as the muffs when you shoot.
                    "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Working...
                    X