Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CrazedClerkthe2nd, it works the same where I am, except we get a 45-minute lunch. From what I was originally told when I started this job, we were to have a 15-minute break between starting work and lunch, and another one between lunch and going home. When I took those breaks, I fell behind on my hours, so I think those 15-minute breaks are just meant to be for short work station absences like the bathroom, a drink, etc. They are not paid, though. Still, why the hell would they tell me I could have two 15-minute breaks and a 45-minute lunch if, in fact, it interfered with my time?

As said, any time we leave our computers for anything besides meetings with the boss, we must clock out and therefore, we are not paid for any break no matter how short. I may still call the labor board just to be clear. I'm not worried about the fraction of a dollar I might get for peeing; I just wonder if them being so strict is necessary or right. They keep us all on tight leashes to begin with.

We're allowed to leave our work stations any time we want - even if we want to take lunch earlier or later than, say, noon. For me, I can get about an hour and five minutes of break time a day without messing up my hours.

Comment

I wonder what they'd say if you managed to do a catheter-type setup and peed in your seat (into a bottle). Dock that, bitches.
      (I can only agree with what's been already said, and can add "who put spiders in their hair?")
      EDIT: ... pooping would be a difficulty. :blush:
      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder
        I wonder what they'd say if you managed to do a catheter-type setup and peed in your seat (into a bottle). Dock that, bitches.
        There's always the old stagehand/followspot operator trick of bringing along an empty Gatorade bottle. (Yes, that is easier for men to do than women.) Or wear Depends.

If you're in the US and you can't find your state's labor department contact information, you can contact the US Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division at 1-866-4-US-WAGE Monday-Friday 8am-5pm your local time. I believe they can research state violations as well as federal and can refer you to the approprate agency to report state violations.
        "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
        "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
        My MySpace
        My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth SuperDan View Post
          There's always the old stagehand/followspot operator trick of bringing along an empty Gatorade bottle.
          The big mouth Pepsi bottles also work...

Just don't mix up which one has the fresh Mountain Dew.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth ShadowBall View Post
            Here's what I found about my state's labor laws:

Employers are not required to give breaks for employees 18 and over. If your employer allows breaks, and they last less than 20 minutes, you must be paid for the break. If your employer allows meal periods, the employer is not required to pay you for your meal period if you do not work during your meal period and it lasts more than 20 minutes. A collective bargaining agreement may also govern this issue.
            So employers here apparently don't even have to give their workers breaks at all (or have I misunderstood what was said?). But if collective bathroom time equals less than 20 minutes, wouldn't that mean it should be paid time? And I'm not nitpicking over whether or not I'm paid to pee...I'm just wondering if my company is doing something ELSE that's shady. I guess should I ever decide to write a complaint about their asses, I need letter fodder.
            It states so in your quoted text. Bathroom break is allowed, unless they want to clean afterwards

But do as others here say, call labor board and ask.

You could also yell when you see boss going to bathroom if she has punched out...
            Last edited by Daemonmonkey; 03-25-2011, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X