This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roku 3 yay or nea?

I want to get a netflix player for my dad. It has to be easy to use, I only care about the netflix service. I have a chance to get a brand new one for free by cashing in points.

Here is what I'm looking for
    -something that is easy to use, about as easy to use as a satellite tv guide
    -decent size text on the screen
    -the ability to choose what profile it's on (not a deal breaker)

honestly I tried the asus cube and the text was tiny and the remote just plain didn't work 3/4 of the time.

Has anyone tried the Roku 3 and can let me know about these things.

Also just general impressions on the device.
    Last edited by gremcint; 10-10-2014, 05:58 AM.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

My daughter's got Roku set up on the TV in her room, but I'm not sure if it's a Roku3 or not. (she's asleep right now so I can't ask her) Anyhow, if this helps any - she mainly uses Roku for Netflix, and it's easy to use for the most part.......only issue is that it didn't give the option of which Netflix viewing profile she wanted to use, so she's using mine.

(although Heather did tell me that she DOES get the option when she hooked up the Roku player to her boyfriend's TV)

Comment

I have a Roku 2 (I don't remember what the difference between the 2 and 3 were, except that 3 only had HDMI output, and 2 had HDMI and composite), and I like it quite a bit. It's easy to use and the text is big enough that I can read it from the other side of the room (on a 24" TV). Don't know about the profile choosing, as I only have one.
      Random Doctor Who quote:
      "I'm sorry about your coccyx, too, Miss Grant."

I has a gallery: deviantART gallery.
      I also has a "funny" blog: Aqu Improves Her Craft

Comment

I haven't use the Roku (I have an Apple TV) but I've heard good things about them.

Try hitting Best Buy and see if you can get a demonstration. If you find it easy to use and read on the screen, odds are you will like it, and you will probably like the price point better. I only use Apple because it links my computers together very easily.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

We've got 2 Rokus here, I think both are Roku 2's. Easy to use, reliable, easy to set up. The 3 has a few ext4as, a couple games, and IIRC a headphone jack in the remote, updated memory and processor, but none of it is earth shattering. If none of that stuff is important to you, then buy on price, the basic 1 might be too basic though.
          Seph
          Taur10
          "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

We have a Roku 3 and love it. The remote works well, the text size is fine, and the headphone jack is nice. We mainly use it for Netflix, Plex, and Pandora.

Comment

Working...
            X