Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone gone from contract mobile to pay-as-you-go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone gone from contract mobile to pay-as-you-go?

I'm just wondering how that works. I know I'd have to buy the card and the instructions for setting it up are in the phone box, and I'd have to call my current provider and break up with them. So my question is this: If I want to keep my phone number, how do I do that seamlessly? I mean, do I set up my new phone with my preferred number and then call my current provider? I guess I'd have to; if I cancelled my phone service first, maybe I wouldn't be able to get the same number. I really have no idea how that works. TIA to anyone who feels like 'splaining it.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Different jurisdictions have different rules that wireless carriers are required to follow. I'd suggest talking to a sales rep at the PAYG company you want to switch to, and ask them how to make the switch while keeping your current number.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

some info here

it really depends on both carriers policies, I know my sister couldn't keep her number switching from PAYG>contract and I couldn't keep mine within the same carrier(local PCS provider)
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Normally, when switching providers, they can "port" a number from one service to another, though some have restrictions on it or just can't do it for some reason. Definitely talk to them about it. Be prepared to have the number be non-functional for up to 48 hours if they CAN do it, tho.
        Last edited by EricKei; 10-12-2014, 08:57 PM.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I don't know about all PAYG companies, but at least Cricket and StraightTalk will handle the port for you, all you have to do is buy the phone, buy the service plan, call customer support and tell them that you want to port your old number, they'll ask for the account information for your old provider and do the rest for you. At least when I switched from Verizon to StraightTalk it took about 15 minutes on the phone and took less than 24 hours to have the number be activated.
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

OK, we have a phone person at my store. I'll ask her to do it. It wouldn't be the worst thing to get a new number, but then I'd have to update with everyone.

Comment

I have and love Virgin. Numbers can be ported...talk to the guy from the NEW carrier to do that. (I kept my old-Verizon-number when I switched.)

Comment

Oh, I'm getting Boost. But yeah, our phone person represents my new service.

Comment

Well, I got it set up alright, with a few snags. Had to do it myself. I have to say, I still HATE touchscreen. I guess I'll just have to live with it. At least I have 3G. There are more basic phones, but I already bought this one. Welcome me to the 21st century.

Comment

Working...
                  X