X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to chime in with Middelfart.

Comment

I raise you...and I'm sure I have before

From Cornwall:London Apprentice,He Was Water,Sticker,Indian Queens,Come to Good,The Lizard,First and Last,Kuggar

And from Devon:
      Woolfardisworthy(pronounced Wolsey),Portsmouth Arms(which is literally two houses,a sawmill and a station...),Beer,Westward Ho!,Wobbly Wheel,Dog Village,Pathfinder and Egg Buckland
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Cheektowaga.

I win
        Ancient Seneca Indian word meaning "Near the Airport"

:P

(Lived there for 10 years. I'm allowed.)
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Back on Long Island, I used to snicker when either "Hicksville" or "Hempstead" were mentioned.

Comment

Some names of suburbs from the town I'll be moving to (Note: suburbs are geographical locations, not political ones):

-Arcadia.
            -Auburn.
            -Bass Hill.
            -Bow Bowing.
            -Canoelands.
            -Chippendale.
            -Curl Curl.
            -Five Dock.
            -Tempe
            -The Ponds.
            -The Rocks.
            -Ultimo.
            -Zetland.

The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Start looking at place names in Canada:

Red Deer
              Wawa
              Moose Jaw
              Kootenay
              Medicine Hat
              How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                And from Devon:
                Woolfardisworthy(pronounced Wolsey)
                Devon must be an interesting place. Because I'm wondering, and I don't think I'm alone here, how in Zeus's butthole do you get "Wolsey" out of that???

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                Beer
                Devon can't be all bad. They have a town named after my favorite beverage.

Please tell me there is a beer bar in the town of Beer. It will make me happy.....

Quoth fireheart View Post
                Some names of suburbs from the town I'll be moving to:

-Arcadia.

-Tempe
                Either you're moving to my home town of Phoenix, and I'm unfamiliar with most of the suburb names you mentioned (other than the two listed above), or there is another Tempe in the world unbeknownst to me.

(Tempe, a major suburb of Phoenix, Arizona, is my actual home town. I just use Phoenix as the default.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                  Ancient Seneca Indian word meaning "Near the Airport"

:P

(Lived there for 10 years. I'm allowed.)

We think it means "Land of the Pink Flamingo."

There is also a town in NY state called Chicken Tavern.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

(Tempe, a major suburb of Phoenix, Arizona, is my actual home town. I just use Phoenix as the default.)
                    There is in fact, a Tempe unbeknownst to you.

It's in NSW, Australia. The only thing I actually know about it is that it has an IKEA store (The closest one to where we'll be moving incidentally)

Comment

Hopefully your Tempe is half as cool as mine. Then again, hopefully it's half as suburban. Don't get me wrong, I love my home town, but it is filled with cookie cutter houses, subdivisions, big box stores, chain restaurants, and shopping malls.

On the bright side, it's not completely mindless Suburbia. After all, how many other towns do you know that have an upside down pyramid as their City Hall?

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        Devon must be an interesting place. Because I'm wondering, and I don't think I'm alone here, how in Zeus's butthole do you get "Wolsey" out of that???
                        The same way us Brits can pronounce 'Mainwaring' as 'Mannering', 'Churmondley' as 'Chumley' and when we're feeling particularly mischievous then 'Featheringstonehaugh' as 'Fanshaw'

Quoth Jester View Post
                        Devon can't be all bad. They have a town named after my favorite beverage.

Please tell me there is a beer bar in the town of Beer. It will make me happy.....
                        The Anchor Inn serves beer
                        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          We think it means "Land of the Pink Flamingo."
                          Also appropriate.

And my wife reminded me that we only lived there for 3 years. It just felt like 10.
                          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Apparently,Hampton Court is so named because on the day it opened,whilst declaring it open, old Henry VIII got too close to a sash window and had a terrible accident when it trapped part of him inside.
                            And ever after it was known as the day that good King Henry got his Hampton caught....
                            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              Hopefully your Tempe is half as cool as mine. Then again, hopefully it's half as suburban. Don't get me wrong, I love my home town, but it is filled with cookie cutter houses, subdivisions, big box stores, chain restaurants, and shopping malls.
                              Read for yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempe,_New_South_Wales

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                                The same way us Brits can pronounce 'Mainwaring' as 'Mannering', 'Churmondley' as 'Chumley' and when we're feeling particularly mischievous then 'Featheringstonehaugh' as 'Fanshaw'
                                The first one, I can see.
                                The second one is a bit of a stretch.
                                The third one brings us back to Zeus's butthole....

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                                The Anchor Inn serves beer
                                Ah, but I did not ask if they had any bars that served beer. I asked if they had any beer bars. Big difference, ya know.

Doesn't tell me much about how cool it is, as most of that is about its history. It DOES tell me that it has a Tempe High School, which amuses me, as Tempe, AZ, has a Tempe High School as well....which is the main rival of MY high school, McClintock High.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X