This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• annoyance

I'm not sure if this belongs here or somewhere else.

My shower broke. I am in NO way technical, and don't know the name of the part (but I do know the model number! haha)

So shower stops working. The Husband and I begin to take it apart. We take the handle off, the metal sleeve and the back shiny metal part (Called something I can't spell. The Eucheron? maybe?). We figure out that what is broken is a metal piece that would hold the "Ball" for the shower controls in a single handle shower (Adjusts the heat) and probably the cartridge needs to be replaced. But, unlike more modern parts, this piece is welded together all in one part. So I can't just go get the ball and cartridge things, I have to get a whole new part. (Price Pfister has made me angry already LOL)

So we remove the part from the pipe and start heading to Plumbing stores. the first one has no clue what that is, and looks very scared. They send me off to Plumbing store B. They know EXACTLY what it is, who makes it and the model number from just a quick glance. But bad news. They ordered three of those parts weeks ago (one for a customer and 2 for spares) and they are still on back order. He helps me as much as he can, as the water in the whole house is turned off and can't be turned back on without a solution, or it sprays into the walls. They were excellent and I'm calling to compliment his supervisor. He was going to sell it to me for the contractor rate too . He gives me Price Pfister's customer support number and the model number of the part. I go and look at their website. They are selling it for 87 dollars, but it says "Back order". I can purchase it, but who knows how long I would have to wait. So I call them up to inquire if they have any advise. The rep tells me that they no longer make this product?

I ask why can I purchase it on their website if they don't make it anymore? He didn't have an answer. It seems really deceitful to me to allow people to purchase something they no longer make. I didn't tell the rep that, or take it out on him, but why would you allow a product to be sold that you don't have any of, and are not going to have any more of?

Thank GOODNESS I found the part on Amazon. Still paid 87 bucks, but I will have possession of it. eventually. If I was unable to find it, we would have had to call a plumber to tear out parts of the shower walls and pipes to install a new set up. We have a set up going where the water is spraying down the inside of the walls anymore, but we can't leave the water on all the time because it pours out the faucet. There is no stopping mechanism anymore. At least we can turn it on to do dishes and wash clothes and shower downstairs for a bit.

But am I off the wall thinking that it's wrong for a company to continue to allow orders to come in for a product they no longer have? I ended up calling plumbing store B and telling them don't hold their breath for their parts coming in.

Some companies will special order older parts for popular parts like that. It may not be something they carry stock of, but they have the means to produce it to get to you.

Comment

One thing I'd consider is having a shut off valve put in at the pipe for the shower alone. Actually, you should have shut off valves for each water based item in your house, so that way when this happens, you don't have to shut down the water to the whole house.

The employee may just have told you something off the top of their head to get you off the phone faster. If the employee didn't do that, then yes, the site should not have the part listed for sale or it should list a part that will work for the product as a "see this to order."
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

The only reason I can think of for keeping a no-longer-available part on an ordering website is if people might want it for comparison or review purposes down the line (kinda like how NewEgg does) -- the important thing is to specifically mark the item page with something like "Discontinued" -- and remove any "Buy" buttons.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If it's this hard to get now, imagine what it'll be like the next time it goes out.

I'd replace the entire fixture.

Comment

My washing machine broke a few years ago. The part I needed was "backordered." I eventually got in touch with Whirlpool, who said the part was discontinued. They offered to sell me a new washer at a reduced price, which I took them up on. The new one was delivered already when a part showed up in the mail from Whirlpool. It was the one needed to fix the old washer, but they had changed the model number for the same damn piece.

Comment

Quoth April View Post
              I'm not sure if this belongs here or somewhere else.

spell. The Eucheron? maybe?). We figure out that what is broken is a metal piece that
              'Escutcheon'.

Please don't ask me how I know that.

Comment

Isn't that a kind of shield/protective plate (depending on context)?
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                  'Escutcheon'.

Please don't ask me how I know that.
                  But you know we're going to want to know the story behind that

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    Isn't that a kind of shield/protective plate (depending on context)?
                    Yes, exactly. In a shower stall, it's the piece that fits around a pipe or valve fitting to keep water out of the wall.

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                    But you know we're going to want to know the story behind that
                    Not much of a 'story', really. When I went looking for such a fitting, I made a complete fool out of myself by not only spelling it wrong, but coming up with a very, VERY creative way of pronouncing it. One that had the guy at Home Depot laughing at the newb 'plumber' he assisted.

And I made a much bigger botch job trying to fix it than even I could have anticipated.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                      Not much of a 'story', really. When I went looking for such a fitting, I made a complete fool out of myself by not only spelling it wrong, but coming up with a very, VERY creative way of pronouncing it. One that had the guy at Home Depot laughing at the newb 'plumber' he assisted.

And I made a much bigger botch job trying to fix it than even I could have anticipated.
                      I have avoided even attempting to say it out loud. I'd rather say "The shield thingy" than try to say it out loud.

On the upside? I have gotten awesome at using very little water per day

Comment

What happened was the first place i went to, the guy had an accent but not the item I needed, so I wrote it down as best as I could. Then I tried to pronounce it based on what I'd spelled, and it came out sounding like 'ass junction'. Much mirth and embarrassment. Then I took the part home and completely botched the repair job, and ended up paying a plumber not only to fix the problem, but the damage I'd done. I'll never live ANY of it down.

Comment

Ass Junction.

*dies laughing*

That is right up there with a friend of mine wanting to call a GBLT bar 'Uranus or Mine'. He wasn't kidding either O_O

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                            A... GBLT bar ...
                            Guacamole, Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato?
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Gay Bi Lesbian Trans. Where 'Trans' covers both -gender and -sexual.

Sometimes GLBTI or GBLTIQ. Intersex and Queer. 'Queer' being a catchall to cover all the welcome minorities among the minorities.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X