This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's time again...

For you to regale us with your ghost stories! Your own experiences, those of family/friends, urban legends, what have you. The more, the frightfuller!*

*Yes, I know "frightfuller" isn't a word.

It is now. </CS Walking Dictionary Squad>

^_^
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
      *Yes, I know "frightfuller" isn't a word.
      It's the door-to-door salesman with the brushes...
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My grandfather got a mortgage on a double wide when he was alive. First payment was due on Halloween.

The amount?

$666.

Not scary, but hey...
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

My elementary school was an infirmery/hospital during WWII.

It is an urban legend that if you enter the gym after sunset (where the ER was) you can hear the moaning of the poor souls that didn't survive.
          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

I thought you were going to mention snow in the forecast. It's that time for us again.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I'll share

I used to live in a trailer that was...off...somehow. Weird little things happened. and one big thing, but I'm almost off of work and don't want to type it up now.

So, little things. we started hearing sounds like someone was typing on a keyboard late at night, when both kids were asleep. My husband was in bed with me, and you could just hear someone typing away. I left a word program open on the computer, but never saw anything.

I got out of the shower once, and when I glanced at the mirror, there were little tiny kid sized handprints at the very tippy top of the mirror. Where, even if my kids climbed onto the bathroom counter, they would be unable to reach that high.

I walked into the kitchen once, and there was a plate, stuck in the seam of where the cabinets met the counter top. It came out really easy, but when I tried to duplicate it, the seam was too small to slide the plate in to.

My husband stopped sleeping in the bed. when I pestered him about it, he said it was because something kept poking him in the face when he was sleeping. He couldn't see anything, but whenever he slept in the bed, something would poke him in the face.

I started randomly smelling burning plastic. I had an electrician out and told him where I smelled it. He checked out everything he could, and couldn't find anything wrong.

I looked behind me one day, and saw the shadow of a man and a child standing in my hallway.

Comment

The property that my undergrad school is on was used as a base in WW2. The old buildings are still at the back of campus, and used for classrooms/etc. There was a rumor that the cafeteria building used to be the morgue (never proven one way or the other) and the psych building was the brig/mental ward (proven).

There was also a claim that the land used to be a burial ground, but I couldn't find anything in the records (another site was found excavating for a new community center downtown and I believe that was claimed by one of the pueblos).
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

We bought our current house in 2005 and moved into town from the country. Our current house layout is exactly the same as our country house, just newer so we fell in love and had to have it. Never looked at another house....

Sitting in the recliner here in the living room, I can see straight down the hallway--Left side is door to basement stairs, oldest DS's bedroom, laundry closet and youngest DS's bedroom. Right side is bathroom, linen closet and our bedroom. All doors are staggered/nothing directly across the hall from another except at the very end of the hall with youngest's and our bedroom doors.

I was sitting, watching tv and the bathroom light came on. Waited, no one came out. Then I remembered neither son was home. This light would randomly come on at different times. Sometimes when the kids were home, other times when it was just me. There was also many times that the door to the basement stairs would randomly open or shut. Again, happened with family home and family away. Hubby witnessed this even himself a couple of times. We checked for drafts and door jambs fitting correctly, anything that could cause this or allow the door to move. Nothing.....

The last straw was when I was sitting in the recliner and caught a glimpse of movement across the hall. Oldest has a habit of making a quick movement from his room to the bathroom. Waited and nothing. When I got up and checked....he was still sleeping. This movement from his room to the bathroom happened several times until I finally had enough. I spoke out loud that I wasn't afraid and that as long as 'you' were nice, I'd let it be. I never had another sighting after that. I've said for years now that we had a friendly ghost that just wanted to be recognized.

There was a murder in our neighborhood many many years ago as in right after the subdivision was built. It was in a house with an identical floor plan to ours, just on another street, turned in the opposite direction. I've wondered if that might have had anything to do with my 'sightings'.

Comment

I don't know if this could count as a ghost story, but my grandma (god rest her soul) swore up and down that an angel figurine hanging on her living room wall fell off the exact moment my dad passed away.

Comment

- My Aunt Carla’s parents were cutting firewood in an area behind one of the feed/hardware stores in town, when they noticed something tall standing partly behind a big tree. They sent a dog over to investigate, and it came back whimpering……on looking around further, they also found a nest made out of matted hair and tree branches. It was never found out exactly what kind of animal lived out there, but my aunt thinks it was Bigfoot. (never saw this spot when we lived up there, and unfortunately it's since been destroyed by a forest fire)

- my 5th grade class had gone for a hike/walk, and a few of us wanted to explore a different part of the area we were in. One of the boys in my class warned us not to, claiming that there was a cult of devil worshippers up there, and that if we didn't come back, they'd know that the cult had gotten us. The only thing we saw was an old, abandoned travel trailer that had "RIP" spray-painted on it, but I couldn't help but get creepy vibes.

- the auditorium at my high school was rumored to be haunted by a boy named Edgar. Unfortunately I don't remember if he was a real person or just a story, but I think he was supposed to have accidentally hung himself, and people claimed to have seen him around one of the catwalks.

Comment

Bump! More, please!

Comment

Wow, thought there'd be more spooky stories by now! Oh well, time for the Froglet to provide some chills... These are all my own experiences or I was present when they happened.

Story 1
                          First time I did the ghost tour at Port Arthur in Tasmania (1800's prison for recidivist convicts) the tour group was standing outside a house. I could smell a terrible smell - mixture of rotten meat and chemical smell, it was vile - and so could a few others. We then went down into the cellar of this house, which had belonged to the surgeon of the colony. He had performed illicit autopsies on prisoners there, in the cellar, and the stone slab he used as an autopsy table was still there.

According to the tour guide, the main 'ghostly manifestations' there were smells, and usually only by people with medical/nursing or similar backgrounds. Everyone who had noticed the nasty smell was a current or former nurse. The smell was formaldehyde and death. Now, I used to be an OR nurse and I used formaldehyde nearly every day, but I'm part of that small portion of the population that can't smell it. Now I know what it smells like and I wish I didn't.

Story 2
                          Also at Port Arthur, on a different trip. Friend was halfway up the stairs to the chapel in the Separate Prison when she felt a hard shove in her back. She thought it was me and looked behind her - I was down the steps and across the corridor from her, and there was nobody behind her.

Story 3
                          Walking through a small historic town in a group one night, and three of us felt like something rushed through us. None of us saw it, but we all got a good mental picture - and described the exact same man, with the same clothing. I can still see that image, clear as day. One of the men also got a poke in the ribs in the same area.

Story 4
                          When I was growing up we had a presence in the house. Not a bad presence, more mischief than anything. He would hide small objects like rings, watches, for years. Often they would turn up in a piece of furniture we didn't own when they originally went missing. He'd open and close doors on demand. I watched a comb once, while my mother was doing her makeup, rise up off her dresser and float over the edge and drop onto the floor. He would wait until we were all sitting at the table for dinner, then flush the toilet or turn a tap on.

When I left home he seemed to follow me. I had times when my ex was a night worker, and I'd be home on my own - every night the spook would knock on the walls to let me know he was there. I even felt him kiss me as I went to sleep one night - just a light kiss on the forehead. He continued with the stealing and hiding, but would bring things back when asked - as long as I didn't watch him!

One night my sister visited, and we were talking about him, and she said she'd always thought it was a joke to scare the younger kids - I said no. At that time the pendant light over the table we were sitting at started swinging in a wide circle - my sister made some excuses and left! He removed a lightbulb from a ghastly chandelier type light fitting I'd never liked once, unscrewed it and put it on the floor next to my girlfriend - while we were sitting right under the light.

One evening the entity made an appearance of sorts - there was a shadow on the wall of a very definite male profile, in fact it was so clear you could even recognise facial features and hair details enough to identify his ethnicity. There was nothing between the light source and the wall. The figure stayed there for at least an hour before it slowly faded out. I've since seen a couple of psychics who have identified a male person of this ethnicity around me as a guardian.

I still feel him around occasionally, and he plays with the cats. And scared one visitor by getting in her face and wanting to know who she was.

Comment

My grammar school was on the site of an old WW2 air base, with a lot of the old Nissen huts still in use (mainly as classrooms, but the school sick bay was also housed in a cluster of them).

One Nissen hut, 29d, was reputed to be haunted by the ghost of an airman who had lost his nerve and shot himself in the foot to avoid further missions. Of course it was obvious that the wound was self-inflicted - he was put on a charge, but a far worse punishment was the contempt and disgust of the rest of the crews.

Unable to face the upcoming charge and the disdain of his fellow airmen, he hung himself in his room - 29d. On certain nights of the year, the sound of him walking around the room, the injured foot dragging behind him, could still be heard......
                            Last edited by Marmalady; 10-14-2014, 05:58 AM. Reason: Spelling!
                            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I have always heard voices in my head. I think nothing of them really, they are just good companions. I like to debate and discuss topics with them, like religion and why we believe what we believe (I have even changed my viewpoint on some things because of them). I will carry on full conversations about work, politics, and life with them, just like they are friends or family. To me this is just normal.

I believe most of the voices I hear are relatives, who went to be with the Lord, who still wanted to help guide me through life. I mainly think this because I started to hear one wise voice after my Grandmother passed away. Discussing this with my parents, my father suggested that perhaps one is also a cousin who died before I was born, because one voice has a 'dark' sense of humor that sounded like him. I suspect, but have no proof, that one of them is an Angel to also guide me. (I love my understanding parents. I have heard horror stories of parents who did not try to understand.)

In the Army, I was mad at myself for failing the PT test (again). In my tired state I yelled (not loudly, but audible) about not doing PT in my home time. Then I talked back to myself telling me that I already knew that. I responded back that if I know, I should be doing. Then I realized I was not alone, seeing my Chaplain giving me an odd stare. opps (lucky for me, no one has ever tried to force counseling on me. Most feel that as long as I am not a danger to myself or others, I am fine)

Today, I can tell their are between 3 and 5 voices. I am never alone when because I have them.
                              I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Working...
                              X