This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
    If AT&T or Charter would let me subscribe to just History, Discovery (and a few varieties thereof), BBC, Biography, SyFy, and the locals, I would sign up in a heartbeat. But as they won't, most of the shows I would watch on those channels are available on Hulu, and the ones that aren't can be purchased for a hell of a lot cheaper than a cable subscription on Amazon.
    Even though I really can't afford anything right now, if they did a la cart channels I would seriously try to find the money. I have looked into getting a little antenna, but it looks like I'd only get two channels here. I was sad, thought maybe I could get stuff from City to the North, but doesn't look like it. I have no idea why stations are so firmly against letting customers choose specific channels... Money, I suppose, but they won't have any money if very few people subscribe.

I have the cheapest high-speed internet possible (haha, it's not that high speed) which is $39.95. I own my modem and there is no tax. Netflix is $8.69 after tax. Periodically I will pay for a month of hulu, but for some reason I hate their commercials. I have also paid for a couple months of DramaFever, whooo Korean dramas! So I am willing to spend money when I know for sure there will always be something I want to watch.

Sad vacuum salesman story. It was after 7 PM, I'm waiting for my friend to pull up to give me a ride. This was when I lived in a house in a comfortable neighborhood. The doorbell rings, and I open it thinking it's my friend. Nope. Vacuum salesman. I tell him I have central vac, and I really like it. He tries to keep talking. My friend pulls in, he keeps talking. I literally step outside, lock the door, and walk around him still talking, get in the car and leave. He was too pushy, but I just feel terrible because who buys a vacuum from a door to door salesman anymore?
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
      Which reminds me, I need to check and see if HBO is going to be free again soon.
      I have Verizon FiOS and recently received an email saying I have free HBO until March 31. This might be a FiOS only promotion.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
        I would try contacting Direct TV as well... I'm fairly certain that they have policies against their employees violating local laws while performing their job.
        I was so annoyed by the idiot that I did try contacting them, then got frustrated by the recordings and the phone tree. All was made better when Officer Friendly knocked on our BACK door and asked me to to look in his car. Yep, that was him and I wasn't the first person to complain.

Sorry Direct VT dude. I know that you are just trying to make a living, but do not jump over locked gates. You are lucky you only got a free ride and some silver bracelets. This is Arizona, you are lucky that someone didn't shoot you.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
          I have Verizon FiOS and recently received an email saying I have free HBO until March 31. This might be a FiOS only promotion.
          Yeah, we don't have FiOS in our area. Mainly Charter and AT&T. Every so often we'll get flyers offering free HBO. When I get them, I call and get it, no problem at all. Saves me $16 for about 3 months or so.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
            Our front gate is always locked. People can easily come to the back door, though. Today, someone came to the front door and gave it a cop knock which scared the heck out of our kitties.

A Direct TV salesguy had climbed our fence so he could give us his sales pitch. My sweetie dealt with him while I called the police to make a trespassing complaint.
            I'd say you mishandled that one - by having indoor cats instead of outdoor Rottweilers.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Pushy cable/satellite salesmen are a pestilence in my area. For roughly six or seven months, the same salesman would bang on my door ever two to three weeks despite the NO TRESPASSING sign on the gate, despite the repeated requests to go away and leave me alone, despite being told repeatedly that I don't watch television enough to justify paying the kind of money they want.

I finally warned him that if he ever knocked on my door again, I'd file a report with the police for harassment. He replied that he was 'just trying to make a living'. Well, dude, all well and fine, but trust me when I say that continuing to aggravate me is only reinforcing my decision to say NO.

Something about the guy was kind of sketchy anyway. Even if I did decide to get a pay-TV service, I'd contact them directly myself rather than deal with this guy.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                Sorry Direct VT dude. I know that you are just trying to make a living, but do not jump over locked gates. You are lucky you only got a free ride and some silver bracelets. This is Arizona, you are lucky that someone didn't shoot you.
                Certain places in SW PA, especially rural ones near the PA/WV border, could also lead to someone getting shot. Most of the land is posted, and many residents take their privacy and security seriously. But now, with meth labs down there, you'd be stupid to trespass on those lands. Think about it, is selling another TV bundle really worth the risk of confronting a bunch of paranoid meth heads...or getting shot?
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

We don't have any cable providers in my area. So, it's either satellite or... well, satellite. I already have Directv and the package that suits my needs. Last thing I need is a hard sell on either getting Directv OR an upgrade in the package. Seriously, if I say, "I already have that," just let it drop. You're beating a dead horse going after me for either. Yes, I've had one try it, while I had a cranky toddler with me. No, I was polite, but cold as Pluto and about as distant.
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

If someone pesters me that much,I would tell them 'I was considering YourCompany but now I won't be,and I shall be ringing/going into the store and telling them specifically that I will not be because of you'.
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Since the Death Star started offering U-verse about 5 years ago in our area my GF (who has her landline phone service through them) started getting literally 2 or 3 mail offers A WEEK trying to get her to switch from BIG cable provider to the Death Star.
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I'm with a phone, Internet, & tv company here in the UK that had a security issue earlier in the year. Well, I'd been with them for years & none of my data was compromised so I felt happy to stick with them... But they've had reps street canvassing near work every day for weeks, and I'm getting sick of it. It's got to the point where I've told them if they keep pestering me every day I'm going to close my account, so their efforts will have had precisely the opposite effect to that intended!
                        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                          I'm with a phone, Internet, & tv company here in the UK that had a security issue earlier in the year. Well, I'd been with them for years & none of my data was compromised so I felt happy to stick with them... But they've had reps street canvassing near work every day for weeks, and I'm getting sick of it. It's got to the point where I've told them if they keep pestering me every day I'm going to close my account, so their efforts will have had precisely the opposite effect to that intended!
                          Another ChattyChatty customer, yes? I've found the reps around here are pretty good about backing off it you say you're already a customer (which I am).

The only moan I have at the moment is that they won't let you log into My Account unless you're doing it from a ChattyChatty router. I've tried to download my latest invoice from work's system but it wouldn't let me, which is annoying as I'm not on my PC at home as much as I used to be. I do more of my surfing on my tablet than I ever expected.
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

In the last 20 years I've probably had about 2 years worth of cable which for me is a waste of money. I don't like most programming and I hate commercials. I have Hulu, Netflix, and the internet which is considerably cheaper then having cable at the moment.

I usually just ignore them and keep walking.

Comment

Quoth JarethsPet View Post
                              In the last 20 years I've probably had about 2 years worth of cable which for me is a waste of money. I don't like most programming and I hate commercials. I have Hulu, Netflix, and the internet which is considerably cheaper then having cable at the moment.

I usually just ignore them and keep walking.
                              We have an outside antennae for local shows and also Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon. We have 2 Rokus and everything's great.
                              "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

I didn't know you could still use those anymore. I thought they got rid of that and everything is digital? Unless it wasn't worldwide or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X