This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth JarethsPet View Post
    I didn't know you could still use those anymore. I thought they got rid of that and everything is digital? Unless it wasn't worldwide or something.
    UK digital is available through a standard antenna, provided you have a decoder ring box or digicapable tv; I'd assume we're not unique in this.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth JarethsPet View Post
      I didn't know you could still use those anymore. I thought they got rid of that and everything is digital? Unless it wasn't worldwide or something.
      Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
      UK digital is available through a standard antenna, provided you have a decoder ring box or digicapable tv; I'd assume we're not unique in this.
      No you are not unique in that aspect as (I think) about 4 years ago the US went all digital TV. This meant you were required to get a digital antenna (you could get them for free if you filled out some simple form) in order to receive the now digital signal over-the-air (meaning without cable or a sat dish) if you had a older TV set.

QUE much complaints as people could now NOT receive some of the weaker signal stations (with a little bit of static snow) in their area that one could with an analog signal as digital transmission is pretty much an all or nothing deal.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

We just got our antennae a few years ago after the digital switch.
        "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

I'm with a phone, Internet, & tv company here in the UK that had a security issue earlier in the year. Well, I'd been with them for years & none of my data was compromised so I felt happy to stick with them... But they've had reps street canvassing near work every day for weeks, and I'm getting sick of it. It's got to the point where I've told them if they keep pestering me every day I'm going to close my account, so their efforts will have had precisely the opposite effect to that intended!
          AllTalk as i like to call them screwed me over a few years ago, right in the middle of DH's worst health crisis. Consequently I will never go with them again.

I politely tell the canvassers that we had a bad experience and won't be going back. The good ones leave us be, the bad ones push, and get increasingly frosty replies and/or the door shut in their faces. I've only ever gotten nasty once, with a guy in the street who kept stepping in front of me whenever i tried to get away from him.

They have not inspired me to give AllTalk another chance.

Comment

My line was unbundled by a former tenant, so I'm stuck with them unless I want to pay to get reconnected elsewhere... As I'm increasingly of a mind to move to a new less memory-filled location with less annoying neighbours, it's just not in my interests.

It wouldn't be so bad but they rotate staff every couple of weeks, so just as I get one set trained they're whisked off and a new lot come along convinced that you just don't know what awesomeness you may be missing (and seem quite amazed that anyone might already be a customer!)
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
              Since the Death Star started offering U-verse about 5 years ago in our area my GF (who has her landline phone service through them) started getting literally 2 or 3 mail offers A WEEK trying to get her to switch from BIG cable provider to the Death Star.
              We get notices every so often wanting us to switch back to Cable Company but due to our last experience w/them (package price went up with the 2nd bill PLUS had to swap out 3 receivers due to continious issues w/dropped channels and issues using the Primetime On Demand feature) we switched to Dish and, unless we get U-Verse for our neighborhood and the pricing for a package similar to what we have is the same or less, we won't be switching.

Now, with the internet access, if I can get faster service w/ U-Verse for about the same amount I'm paying for Death Star DSL for the highest speed package, I'll seriously consider it.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

so their efforts will have had precisely the opposite effect to that intended!
                I had a similar experience with Maiden Media, I was having to look at getting another provider at the time but they sent me so many letters and door stepped me so many times in a few weeks that they put me right off. So much so that I called them and requested that my name and address be removed from their list. So now if I get any letters they are addressed to the householder.
                Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Working...
                X