This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outraged clueless woman at food donations

Now is the time of year when many stores have barrels to donate food for the needy. My habit is to buy a couple of cans of protein (tuna, chicken or beef) and drop them in the barrel on my way out. I also buy pet kibble and toss that in as well. I'm not the only one who does that, I see pet food in the barrels all the time.

Today, sweetie and I went to do our weekly grocery shopping and heard some idiotic woman screaming with outrage because she saw pet food in a barrel. WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT! WHO EXPECTS POOR PEOPLE TO EAT PET FOOD!!! THIS JUST ISN'T RIGHT AND SHOULD BE STOPPED!!!

A different person shut her up by saying "Poor people have pets too" and dropping some cans and a bag of pet food in the barrel.

When we stopped at the barrel on our way out with our offerings, we saw a lot of pet food in it, so thank you clueless woman. Please go back and scream about how wrong it is again

OMG talk about a brain burp! See, this is what makes me hate people sometimes: They just jump to a conclusion without THINKING. Ugh.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

That's better than some people I've seen commenting that "poor people" shouldn't have pets.
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
        That's better than some people I've seen commenting that "poor people" shouldn't have pets.
        This. There are so many out there that hate poor and/or disabled people. It's disgusting. As Irv once said, they must think the poor/disabled should be relegated to dungeons and have to eat mice or something.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

There are many reasons why someone could find themselves in reduced circumstances - and they may have got the pet back when they were relatively well-off. Another possibility is that they don't have a pet - they have a service animal.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Plenty of idiocy to go around when it comes to food donation bins...I once had a customer who bought a package of fresh clementines from the produce department and asked if she could leave it in the bin. Uhhh, no, only non-perishable items may be left in there. I mean, I get wanting to donate to the needy, but it has to be foodstuff that won't rot while waiting a week for the next pickup by the local food pantry.

Comment

there's a local vet here that runs a pet food only food pantry, only time I've ever seen it.
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                there's a local vet here that runs a pet food only food pantry, only time I've ever seen it.
                Four local animal shelters/rescue groups here cooperatively sponsor a pet food pantry. One nice thing is that they will take opened bags of dry food, so if Rover hates the new food or Fluffy dies just after you stocked up, they will take it. They also take kitty litter, collars & leashes, and bedding. Their main clientele are people who think they have to give up a pet due to hard times.

Our biggest homeless charity also has a pet food pantry and runs a veterinary clinic once a month, staffed by vet students & overseen by a licensed vet. They also do spay/neuter for free. The clinic collects for Holiday Pet Baskets. There are screening procedures so SC's can't just waltz in and get free food and vet care.

Comment

Our rescue group also does a pet food pantry, its very common here. Many people don't know about it which is why I always put some pet food in the regular barrels.

I know that people love to hate that Wal store, but the I love the manager at our local store. He doesn't have pets, he never holds our cute puppies or kittens. What he does do is duct tape up all the broken bags of kibble from his store and then takes his personal time and uses his personal vehicle to bring them to us. He never helps me unload them, but I don't care, I just think that its awesome that he's willing to spend his time and gas to fill hungry bellies.

Comment

My dog is a sort-of service animal. He helps me manage my depression just by existing and giving me a reason to get up and to keep going when I don't want to. Had I lost him when our finances were so bad because we couldn't afford to feed him, I'd have offed myself. I'm not being dramatic or exaggerating, he's literally been the difference between life and death to me. There's a pet pantry here that saved two lives, his and mine.
                    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Wishful Spirit: Bast and Toth and I have the same sort of relationship with our pets.

I'm the only one of the three of us who is suicidal when depressed, the other two just go totally flat and stop doing anything. But the animals have this tendancy to nudge you and encourage you to get up and doing. Even if the doing is lethargically throwing the dog's favourite toy for her, or replacing the cat's litter, it can be enough to break out of the worst of a depression cycle.

Also, the dog is a very enthusiastic exercise partner. I strongly, strongly would recommend a dog for any disabled person for whom walking is a recommended exercise. (Or wheeling!)

The dog should be carefully chosen and trained, so they don't pull on the leash if the disabled person is too weak for that; or so that they can be 'leashed' to a wheelchair if necessary. And so that the level of exercise they need matches their human partner.

But even "just" as a companion animal rather than a service animal, pets can be of HUGE importance to a disabled person's life.
                      I'd really, REALLY like to see a system where disabled peoples' pets get supported vet care. However, I'm still at the stage where I'd like to see mental disabilities get sufficient support in the first place, and that's kinda more urgent.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Today the donation bin at the grocery store had a note attached to it. "Not a garbage can." It wasn't there the last time I was in. People are the worst. I know the local humane society has a pet food bank. I keep meaning to go out there, I have some fleece for them. Arg.

If you take a look at my city's police reports, there are so many "welfare check" or "mental health issue" reports. Well, lots of stolen bike reports, but that's not important. It makes me sad. My moods are pretty even, to the point that some people have told me it's weird that I don't have really dramatic "ups" like they do. I'm like, I am happy. I'm just not showing it in the same way you are. Sheesh. You just can't win.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

This thread has reminded me to drop off some catfood at the local branch of the RSPCA, thank you..

Comment

Honestly, I think welfare checks from police (or some agency) are very important. I have two old-lady neighbours who don't have friends or family close; and who don't feel they know us well enough to bother us in such situations. For them it's the police.

So sometimes a welfare check is just making sure the sprained ankle is nothing more than a sprain, and arranging for the council carers to make visits until the ankle heals.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth nutraxfornerves View Post

Our biggest homeless charity also has a pet food pantry and runs a veterinary clinic once a month, staffed by vet students & overseen by a licensed vet. They also do spay/neuter for free. .

Can they extend this service to SC's?
                              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                              X