X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth dalesys View Post
    He's a hooker!
    Yup!

Funny related bits: the elementary school where my oldest started Kindergarten was called Hooker School (founder's last name, I believe), and when I was still in high school and just starting college, our part of the state had a man with the surname Hooker running for State Assembly, so there were signs everywhere saying "Hooker for Assembly." My sister even got one of the campaign magnets to put on her fridge at college.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

A Northern general during the U.S. Civil War was named "Hooker". One year in high school physical education, when we got a refresher on Rugby (learned it the previous year), people could only remember the name of one position - guess which one.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Shortly after people stopped riding dinosaurs to work, kids would make spending money by getting a paper route.

For you young whippersnappers, people didn't have the internet so they would read the news on a bundle of papers that was tossed in their yard early in the morning. These were called "newspapers" because they were printed late at night and bundles would be dropped off at the carrier's homes every day before dawn.

I had one of those very desirable paper routes. Every morning, I would get up before dawn to ride my bike and throw papers. "Paperboys" saw interesting things.

One of my houses had a very nice looking muscle car. I knew that the car owner was married and had 3 daughters who were bigger than me. He had a heart shaped sticker on his back window that said "I love my hookers".

Young Slave only knew one definition for that word and was not sure that she should ask her parents lest they want to know how she had learned that word. Young Slave changed up her route to look at the house at different times just in case she might be able to see said hookers leaving.

Finally, one day, young Slave finally got up the nerve to ask her father about it. Father laughed very hard and said that he wished he had Hookers too. Confused Slave promptly asked Mother. Who also laughed and explained that Father didn't have a car worth putting Hookers on.

Comment

Re the knitting information post: you're quite welcome.

Toth's 'feminine' hobby is that he's becoming quite a good cook. He prefers stovetop to baking or roasting, but he can make one hell of a pot roast.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Just going back to the "Poor people with pets" discussion:

Warning: Very distressing to animal lovers!

Back when DH and I first got married we adopted two elderly dogs, Penny and Sally, I was working, DH wasn't but his health was better back then and he took care of them in the day and I was making enough money for all of us to live comfortably.

Then the recession hit, hard, and I lost my job. With benefits we were able to live, but not quite as well. However everyone had a roof over their head and food in their bellies but we had absolutely zero spare cash. We agreed with the lender that our car would be repossessed when the cushion i had built up while working ran out, and we were a little behind on rent but working at getting it paid.

Then Sally fell suddenly ill. She was lethargic and lost control of a few...er, functions, then she began vomiting black stuff...i knew this was b.a.d Bad.

We rang an animal charity who agreed to pay for her to go to the local emergency vet. We bundled her into the car and got her up there. On the way she vomited again.

The vet looked her over, then spent half an hour lecturing us on how we shouldn't have got a dog if we couldn't afford to look after her. That we were taking resources from patients who really needed it and so on. I was reduced to tears very quickly and wanted to scream at him. Perhaps we should have just dumped her back at the shelter, would that be better? Should everyone who loses their job or hits any kind of financial difficulty do that??? It'd solve nothing, instead the shelters would be overrun and no animal would be able to live out it's whole life with one family since everyone hits a bad patch now and then.

Anyway, they gave her an anti-emetic and said she had an upset stomach. She vomited again while being examined. That didn't seem right to me, but i'm not a vet. We took her home.

Extra warning, extra upsetting details ahead!!! Highlight for details

She slept through the night, then in the morning she couldn't/wouldn't stand, by afternoon she could barely move, I rang the vets, the same guy told me the medicine would make her drowsy and that it was normal.

Then she started having "fits" not like a seizure, but like her whole body would go into tetany, like all her muscles were locking up.

I started to gather the things we needed to get her back up to the vets, then she spasmed once more, and passed away.

End of the most upsetting stuff

I think that vet just saw some irresponsible, benefit scroungers, not someone who had actually fallen on hard times, and decided to take his prejudices out on us rather than actually looking into what was wrong with our dog.

I'm still angry and bitter 14 years later.

Now we have two cats, a dog and a fish, we're still on benefits as Dh's health has declined severely, but life is going better for us, everyone is healthy and fed and we can afford vet's visits out of our own pocket now.

Dh says that in his worst times, the only thing that has kept him alive is our pets. We'd starve before we let them go hungry.

Comment

That's awful to hear. Awful of the vet to do.

If he saw people who would not be able to possibly afford whatever diagnostics or treatments would be needed to truly cure Sally, he should have offered euthanasia. The gentle needle is much kinder than leaving her with no effective treatment, nor even effective pain and suffering management.

But lecturing you like that? This was not the time, even if he thought it necessary.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Agreed Seshat, Sally was loved and well cared for, she was always fed and groomed, but she got critically sick at a time when only some fast talking to our landlord prevented us from being evicted. We didn't have a spare penny. That's all he could see, not a sick animal that needed his help.

The worst part for me is that the charity we contacted had agreed to pay for all of her treatment. It was very kind of them, and even now we make regular donations to them.

I blamed myself for a long tine, for not questioning him on his diagnosis, or arguing back at him. I've made peace with the fact that there was nothing else I could have done, but his attitude still hurts.

We told this story many times to people who were looking for a new vet. I hope we hit him in the pocket a little.

Comment

I'm sorry for whatever happened to your pet. Also, a huge thanks for having warnings and hiding the story, which I am not going to read. I get super upset hearing/reading bad things happening to animals. I can think of several stories that people have told me (unsolicited) over the years which I swear scar my soul. There is a story over in War Stories (Scruffles) which I would have liked a warning about. But I do also live in a world where I have to deal with awfulness and I can't expect warnings on everything sad.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

That is honestly the most horrible story I've ever heard about a terrible vet. Poor Sally and poor you! I certainly hope that you told the animal rescue group about your treatment. That probably hurt him in the wallet a lot. (I know this because most people will use the same vet their adoption group uses. If the adoption group fires a vet, the vet not only loses the groups money, the vet also loses a whole lot of new customers.)

I'm a so sorry that happened to you and I hate that vet.

I do have a little better news about poor people and pets. Our rescue group had to do a lot of scrambling today to find places to store pet food because we had so much delivered from kind strangers who wanted to help keep pets fed. A lot of it was canned food, which will make the critters happy. Kibble fills the bellies, canned food is special.

So, to everyone who "forced" us to scramble around on the day after Christmas to find room to store the over abundance of pet food...THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!

(and please don't forget about us later in the year, critters eat all year round.)

Comment

After my dog died I had an almost full box of hypodermic needles left over. Since drug stores won't take back open boxes of needles I asked my vet if they could take them and give them either to the animal shelter or possibly to their clients who need some starter needles or just some to tide them over until they could get a new box.
                      Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Golden Phoenix View Post
                        Just going back to the "Poor people with pets" discussion:

Warning: Very distressing to animal lovers!

<snip>
                        I can really feel your pain Phoenix. See this I posted back in August 2015
                        http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=111917

Fuzzy chubby ham boy is still alive though still slowing down more as he gets older. In my case I still think it was the flea shampoo that caused his "illness" but I do not discount cancer in the long run.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Good to hear about the animal shelter that's 'forced' to find extra space to store food!

Phoenix: you were in a bad emotional place when the vet did that to you. You had focussed your available attention where it was needed - on Sally - so if you can manage to forgive yourself, please do so.

Notalwaysright: just for you, here's a good-vet story.

ElderlyCat was - well, elderly. When I woke up, and she heard me moving around, she cried out to me in her 'I'm in distress' voice. I found her, saw that she was sick, and woke Toth. He contacted the vet, and the vet agreed to come to our house to look at her. She was so sick that moving her was going to seriously distress her, and he accepted that.

She spent most of the morning in my lap, being petted, while the vet saw the morning pets. She'd calmed down the moment she knew her humans were aware something was seriously wrong (she really, really trusted us!).

When the vet arrived, we carefully put her on the couch so he could examine her. He then gave us our options . One was distressing her with examinations and ultrasounds and blood tests to verify which of her organs was failing; and then forcing her to take meds for a few months of extra life. The other options were to let her die naturally (however long that took), or the gentle needle. We opted for the needle.

He took some extra time to examine her, and worked out his best guess (without ultrasounds/diagnostics) as to what was failing, so he could make the needle even gentler and more effective based on what was going wrong. It's that extra bit of care that makes all the difference, isn't it?

And in all his handling of her, he was taking the time to be gentle, reassuring, petting her, disguising examinations as petting where he could... you know?

And when he was ready, he made sure that we all had time to say goodbye.
                          She seemed to know what was happening, and to be okay with it. Maybe she did, maybe she didn't, but she certainly understood that now was a time for loving. I got a little bit of grooming on my fingers.

He kept his attention on her, and a stethescope to her chest, until she was completely gone. To me, it felt like an eternity: It was one of those times when subjective time dilates.

He helped her die peacefully, in her own home, surrounded by her own family and familiar scents. It helped.

We got a card from them a couple of days later. Just a quiet sympathies card, but it's another of those little touches.
                          Last edited by Seshat; 12-28-2015, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X