This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
    I use the kiosk whenever possible just to avoid the lines inside the lobby. Especially when I'm stopping after work and tired enough as it is and I just need to get postage to mail off letters (or Christmas cards.)
    Sigh. Our post offices used to have kiosks, but almost all of them are now closed and relocated to supermarkets (who don't have self-service kiosks). So I had to stand in line and wait 20 minutes at the tobacco counter just to get a stamp for a Xmas card. (I also wanted to buy an extra "Xmas stamp" where the proceeds go to charity, but then I'd have to go to the "postal" counter which had an EVEN LONGER line...)

I've already arranged with my relatives that next year's Xmas greetings will be online only since our postal services will be doubling up the price of stamps (since they only make money on packages anyway).
    Last edited by NorthernZel; 12-27-2015, 10:49 PM.
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

If someone just wants stamps, can't they buy them from a grocery store checker? I mean, they are regular forever stamps with the flag on them, not pretty flower stamps, but I guess I don't place a lot of value on the prettiness of a stamp.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Depends on the store. Some of them sell at the registers, some only sell through the Customer Service Desk so that they're easier to control. Just one point of contact, and just one person to be held responsible if they go missing.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Note that, for certain shipment types, buying and printing your own postage at USPS.com is actually *cheaper* than doing it in person You just gotta know the dimensions and rough weight of whatever you're sending.
          3 girth units
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth April View Post
            Honestly, given the state of the post office, I was willing to pay just about anything to avoid massive lines.
            That's why I don't deal with the post office unless I have to. I have better things to do than wait in line all day. Locally (I don't know about other areas), they have multiple registers...a line out the door, but only one person actually working. Anyone else is usually standing behind the counter joking around or talking. All of my bills get paid online, and if I need stamps, I use one of the kiosks. Packages go to UPS. Sure, I'll pay a bit more, but the service is better.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

^^^ This right here. I also buy my stamps at the grocery store (at face value) and I go to UPS for packages. I feel like my time and sanity are worth too much to put up with the garbage at most USPS locations. It's worth the small amount more I pay just to avoid the bullshit.

As far as my USPS, they are friendly and as efficient as they're able to be, it's just clear that the management (and levels above and to the top) are woefully inadequate. It's a shame because, as we all know, shitty customers will take it out on the front line workers, not direct it above where it needs to be.
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

If I go to the post office, I'll usually use their automated kiosk to print my postage on packages or buy a single stamp.

If I'm taking something to the post office for Mom, however, it may be something that's going overseas (like the care packages we used to send to US soldiers, or a package to her friend Robert in the UK), which means I have to go the counter with the customs form.

Then again, when I go up to the counter, I almost always have everything filled out and ready and all I need is for them to do their magic on their end so I can pay for it and be on my way.

Preparation is key, folks.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

The only issue I've had with a UPS store is with having incorrect hours posted - according to the UPS store website, the location nearest our house is open from 12-4 on Sundays, the sign on the store's door states the same, but when I went there around 12:30 this afternoon, the store was obviously NOT open.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    Preparation is key, folks.
                    Are you suggesting that those of us who choose not to use USPS (for the very valid reasons stated) are ill prepared?

I can assure you that's not the case in my situation.

In my local branches, the kiosks are often out of order, and they are chronically understaffed.

No amount of preparation can help those issues.
                    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                      Are you suggesting that those of us who choose not to use USPS (for the very valid reasons stated) are ill prepared?

I can assure you that's not the case in my situation.

In my local branches, the kiosks are often out of order, and they are chronically understaffed.

No amount of preparation can help those issues.
                      I wasn't stating that at all, and I apologize if that was how it came out. You have a valid point about understaffing issues.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Thanks, no apology necessary. Probably just me being moody. Lol..see what the damn post office does to me?

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                          At my local branch, if the kiosk is down--which it seems to be on weekends--I have no choice but to stand in line. Even if there's no line and they're not busy...they take their sweet time. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have better things to do on the weekend than spend an hour waiting to buy stamps.

But the last time I did the CS card lists (recent events have kinda killed my enthusiasm for the holidays), I was a bit baffled. Why? I had cards get to *Australia* faster than they got across town!
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                          X