This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siren's Call, or "Did that just happen?"

So, last week I was dropping by Red Circles in a nearby town and stopped by their in-store Siren location for my daily dose of caffeine.

The lady in front of me had one of their plastic cups they sell for about I think about a dollar? pretty flimsy, but much touted as being able to be washed and brought back for a discount on the hot drinks you get in it there-after.

Well, she asked a few questions about what qualifies for it, and settled on some kind or other flavored espresso drink, I wasn't paying much attention. She then proceeded to give her cup, and proceed to the other half of the counter area, the drink pickup spot.

The cashier there looked startled "Ma'am, would you like to pay?" Which, probably not the best thing to say but this sort of thing was probably new to her.

The lady pointed at the plastic cup again "It's free with that, isn't it?"

The cashier then explained how the cup ACTUALLY worked, and...while she didn't make a fuss about it, the lady did look rather affronted about it. "Well, I don't want anything if I have to pay." and left while telling them to toss the cup.

While she wasn't a full blown SC, I really don't know how she got the idea that "Buy this rather cheap cup and get free hot drinks forevermore" was a thing.

I may be wrong, but I was thinking those cups went up to $2, and you get $.10 off. I never do it since I'm lazy and go through the drive through a lot, or pre-order, so it's not really practical. Anyhow, it's laughable, buy a $1-$2 cup, get free Green Mermaid drinks forever? Uh, nope. There is a promotion going on right now where you have a teeny-tiny chance of winning free drinks forever. Why do I know so much about this.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Sulhythal View Post

While she wasn't a full blown SC, I really don't know how she got the idea that "Buy this rather cheap cup and get free hot drinks forevermore" was a thing.
      Some gas stations have a deal like that. Buy their big travel mug, get it filled with coffee for free or at least very cheaply.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        Some gas stations have a deal like that. Buy their big travel mug, get it filled with coffee for free or at least very cheaply.
        Yeah. Places that make their coffee in huge automatic carafe based self-serve dispensers. So that the labor cost per cup is virtually zero. Low enough that the margin on your donuts, cigarettes and gas will pay for it.

Someone who expects that kind of deal at a shop that makes each cup of coffee one at a time by hand, to order? THAT is a classic self-entitled Sucky Customer.

Comment

I"ve seen truck stop chains with a "buy a mug and get free coffee until a specified date" promotions, but again that's a "self-serve from a big carafe" coffee, and it's time-limited.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Last year the cup was a dollar. I had one, and my mom accidentally threw it out when she was in my car one day. I'm pretty sure you get .10 off of each refill. It's touted more as an environmental benefit rather than a means to get discounted coffee. Oy. Some people.
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

The cups are two dollars up in Canuckistan, but I'd say they're reasonably sturdy, made from hard plastic. The only tricky part is the lid. MAKE SURE you have the lid on right or you WILL regret it. I had to wash a jacket...

Comment

Yep! It's 2.00 down here now, too. A 100 percent increase from last year is quite steep.

And I totally agree about the lid! I, too, found out the hard way that the lid is wonky as hell.
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Those lids snap on instead of screwing on. As long as you do that it should be ok. I've used mine on the bus and had no problems even with Evil Kenevil (sp?) at the wheel.
                  "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
                  X